Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: differences in bak sil lum forms from different schools

differences in bak sil lum forms from different schools

one of my sihings has studied bak sil lum in south america and has made a comment that the bak sil lum on the wing lam tapes is different than what he had learnd. is this due to different lineage or has wing lam changed the forms for the tapes.

also, are there any other bak sil lum videos besides his???
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

The core is all the same. The only real differences are in "flavor"(manor of execution) and small technical variations here and there. Otherwise its the same thing.

and of course the insistance on calling it sil instead of siu.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 05-09-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Yeah, the school I learned BSL from teaches differently than Wing Lam. Since ours was a more powerful execution, I used to assume they (Wing Lam) must be wrong, but I understand now that different teachers and lineages teach variations. I think as long as there is true application, you can't go wrong.

There's always variation

Every being is unique, so everyone interprets the arts differently, in accordance to their own abilities. Wing Lam actually did two video series on BSL, and an extra BSL #6 (that's three different video versions of #6). I've not seen any other instructional BSL videos but there are a few demonstrations floating around of Chan Kwok Wai's students, Johnny So's students, other lineages, etc. I've even seen a minalnd wushu version of BSL #5 on video. There are also books - Chan Kwok Wai has one on BSL#6, Wing Lam has one on BSL#7... doesn't Lai Hung have one on BSL#6 too? But you'll always see variation, just as you'll always hear variation in music. Art, including the martial arts, isn't about rigid adherence to form; it's about expressing your vitality, your spirit, your 'self' and that is always unique.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Art, including the martial arts, isn't about rigid adherence to form; it's about expressing your vitality, your spirit, your 'self' and that is always unique.
    AMEN!!! This is true even when the forms don't change. People don't get it that form work is a tool of foundation for the abstract to build on.

Thumbs up bak sil lum from argentina

ok, that`s truth but the differences between schools is not maybe the form itself
    i think that the difference is in the way you train it.
    i am bsl instructor in GM Jerry Lee line that is stronger that chank kwok wai bsl.

see you, cristian

Really, you got video? I'd like to see this.

How is it "stronger"? Do you practice iron palm/body?

Is this the Jerry Lee thats in Miami?
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 05-22-2005 at 10:18 AM.

hi, abel!!
    yes, my sifu (walter Ferrisi) learnt bsl with GM jerry lee in Miami and with Chan in brasil but he prefered jerrys bsl.
    here in argentina the bsl is from chan or olive hui(a sifu in hong kong) and us that i can say are the unique in line of bsl of the old chin wan school(i knew that his disciple here left him and change the school).
    i had not news from miami since a lot time ago but we still keep trainning

this bsl is stronger in the way you play a form (chans bsl is a little calm and slow and jerrys are very powerfull in moves and more continuous)

and yes we train iron palm, iron fit

sorry for my english

salute you

cristian

Calm and slow? Thats news to me. Your historical facts are a little bent, especially about chin wan. Concidering the source, its no surprise.

Exclamation

i dont know what you know. i appreciate if you told me about you a little more.

about chin wan (thats the name of the jerrys school, chin wan association)and i am not sure if the school still open.

slow and calm means that the tecnics are the same but each step of the form is more pronounced.
    we do the forms a little faster and with a pronouncced force in tecnics.

may be i am not clear because my english is limited.

what do you mean with "concidering the source, its no surprice"

sorry man, if my source is not good for you.

cristian

Been away for a while so this will be a bit dated.

I talked with my teacher about chin wan. Too many details and too much history to cover in one post.

But, I will state a fact, that GM Lee is a HUNG GAR practitioner. There is no line or lineage from him in BSL. Your BSL "IS" from Chan Kwok Wei. Your sifu IS the source of BSL in Lee's schools.

Hate to jump on the band wagon but I've done some research in this matter too and I've came up witht the same info as Sifu Abel.

Quote Originally Posted by cristiangomez

slow and calm means that the tecnics are the same but each step of the form is more pronounced.
    we do the forms a little faster and with a pronouncced force in tecnic

cristian
    I think I know what you mean and what you're describing here is an expression of the set. It is still the same but is demonstrated in another aspect of the set. Some people will naturally express sets with "power" while others will not.

As a general rule as one reaches different levels in BSL, power is not openly expressed and becomes "softer" to the observer. But the "power" is there and is even more powerful than the obvious "hard power" that you see in your school.

Chan Sifu's BSL is at a very high level and his BSL is very powerful but to the observer, it appears 'soft' or in your words, "slow and calm".

Yes.....
    In reality, more drama doesn't mean more power. Its actually a product of a southern style to hard breath and pronounce a power in a punch.

What is it with martial artists and their ideas that they have the real thing and everyone else is missing out?

I think it's time for the travelling global lei tai tour and signed waivers saying that all defeats are to be acknowledged in perpetuity. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.