Thread: differences in bak sil lum forms from different schools

Hybrid View

differences in bak sil lum forms from different schools

one of my sihings has studied bak sil lum in south america and has made a comment that the bak sil lum on the wing lam tapes is different than what he had learnd. is this due to different lineage or has wing lam changed the forms for the tapes.

also, are there any other bak sil lum videos besides his???
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

The core is all the same. The only real differences are in "flavor"(manor of execution) and small technical variations here and there. Otherwise its the same thing.

and of course the insistance on calling it sil instead of siu.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 05-09-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Yeah, the school I learned BSL from teaches differently than Wing Lam. Since ours was a more powerful execution, I used to assume they (Wing Lam) must be wrong, but I understand now that different teachers and lineages teach variations. I think as long as there is true application, you can't go wrong.

There's always variation

Every being is unique, so everyone interprets the arts differently, in accordance to their own abilities. Wing Lam actually did two video series on BSL, and an extra BSL #6 (that's three different video versions of #6). I've not seen any other instructional BSL videos but there are a few demonstrations floating around of Chan Kwok Wai's students, Johnny So's students, other lineages, etc. I've even seen a minalnd wushu version of BSL #5 on video. There are also books - Chan Kwok Wai has one on BSL#6, Wing Lam has one on BSL#7... doesn't Lai Hung have one on BSL#6 too? But you'll always see variation, just as you'll always hear variation in music. Art, including the martial arts, isn't about rigid adherence to form; it's about expressing your vitality, your spirit, your 'self' and that is always unique.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Art, including the martial arts, isn't about rigid adherence to form; it's about expressing your vitality, your spirit, your 'self' and that is always unique.
    AMEN!!! This is true even when the forms don't change. People don't get it that form work is a tool of foundation for the abstract to build on.

Thumbs up bak sil lum from argentina

ok, that`s truth but the differences between schools is not maybe the form itself
    i think that the difference is in the way you train it.
    i am bsl instructor in GM Jerry Lee line that is stronger that chank kwok wai bsl.

see you, cristian