Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: differences in bak sil lum forms from different schools

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    What is it with martial artists and their ideas that they have the real thing and everyone else is missing out?
    It's all about "Mine is bigger than yours" or "My dad can whip your dad" mentality IMHO. It's one thing to try it out. It's another to make assumptions "Because of..."

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    I think it's time for the travelling global lei tai tour and signed waivers saying that all defeats are to be acknowledged in perpetuity. lol
    There'd be more excuses for not fighting than fighters actually showing up.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Yes, well, that is the indication. The whole "mine is bigger, better, etc etc" is juvenile quite frankly and I for one am quite tired of it. Nowadays, that attitude goes about as far with me as a lead balloon. lol

as for excuses, excuses, well, we see that as often as the sun rises.

Makes the whole lot of it look goofier and goofier. We have enough goofiness in Martial arts as it is. I say let the killing begin!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't know who this is all directed to, but this one is about truth in advertising.

sifu lee was an hung gar teacher but he knows bsl too, i knew that his bsl came from GM frank demaria.

i know here chans disciple and he knows and recogize lee as bsl teacher and the diferences between schools

i can say that the bsl i train is not just "power" for the view.
    forms work is focus in the jing energi

salute you, cristian

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel
    I don't know who this is all directed to, but this one is about truth in advertising.
    I hear ya on that.

Which brings us around to the topic of mcdojos, mckwoons and mmmm mmmm mmm mcribs!

Still, one can have power without the "Hi yah!"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

everyone shows their stuff different, thats why it is martial ARTS. evryone has their own ideas or views. make it more interesting instead of seeing the same stuff eveywhere. i like to see the same style done in different ways.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Quote Originally Posted by cristiangomez
    sifu lee was an hung gar teacher but he knows bsl too, i knew that his bsl came from GM frank demaria.

i know here chans disciple and he knows and recogize lee as bsl teacher and the diferences between schools

i can say that the bsl i train is not just "power" for the view.
    forms work is focus in the jing energi

salute you, cristian

Claudio Derenzo of BSL in Argentina also studied with Jerry Lee and Frank Demeria as well as Chen Kwok Wei and it is my understanding jery Lee is Hung Gar and not BSL. It is nice our style is spreading in the pampas, hahaha!!!

peace
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

how much variation?

everyone shows their stuff different, thats why it is martial ARTS. evryone has their own ideas or views. make it more interesting instead of seeing the same stuff eveywhere. i like to see the same style done in different ways.
    I agree with this to a point. For any art, you have to put yourself into it - you have to make it yours - to make it really 'live'. Rigid copying of the masters serves only as an educative tool - there must be some variation from practictioner to practitioner, since practitioners vary. One shoe never fits all. But at the same time, there's an essence that much be preserved in BSL or any other style for that matter. At a certain point, it becomes another shoe - a new shoe - sometimes a better shoe, sometimes a worse one. One of the least discussed aspects of evolution is that most mutations die - it's not like the X-men. Most mutations (or 'variations' in our martial metaphor here) are weaker. With our generation, global communication is astounding - take this forum for example - and this is causing more mutations than ever. While I'm always happy to see distant BSL cousins with unique variations, the other edge of the sword is that I'm also seeing more crappy BSL than ever. This is happening across all styles to some degree, and I don't foresee it decreasing - quite the oppopsite. The really tricky part where to draw the line...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen
    Claudio Derenzo of BSL in Argentina also studied with Jerry Lee and Frank Demeria as well as Chen Kwok Wei and it is my understanding jery Lee is Hung Gar and not BSL. It is nice our style is spreading in the pampas, hahaha!!!

peace
    claudio direnzo was jerry lee disciple for a long time and he learnt bsl from him as well as hung gar.
    claudio`s brother (horacio) is chans disciple here and he was lee`s student at first

i can tell you bsl here is one of the most popular stiles

see you

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    I agree with this to a point. For any art, you have to put yourself into it - you have to make it yours - to make it really 'live'. Rigid copying of the masters serves only as an educative tool - there must be some variation from practictioner to practitioner, since practitioners vary. One shoe never fits all. But at the same time, there's an essence that much be preserved in BSL or any other style for that matter. At a certain point, it becomes another shoe - a new shoe - sometimes a better shoe, sometimes a worse one. One of the least discussed aspects of evolution is that most mutations die - it's not like the X-men. Most mutations (or 'variations' in our martial metaphor here) are weaker. With our generation, global communication is astounding - take this forum for example - and this is causing more mutations than ever. While I'm always happy to see distant BSL cousins with unique variations, the other edge of the sword is that I'm also seeing more crappy BSL than ever. This is happening across all styles to some degree, and I don't foresee it decreasing - quite the oppopsite. The really tricky part where to draw the line...
    My bsl is crappy and I have seen even crappier. So, I agree with G~

My other kungfu pwns though now that is has been thoroughly mixed with a heaping helping of mma, full contact sparring, ground fighting, boxing and a generally more intentful attitude as opposed to the mimicry it once was.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cristiangomez
    claudio direnzo was jerry lee disciple for a long time and he learnt bsl from him as well as hung gar.
    claudio`s brother (horacio) is chans disciple here and he was lee`s student at first

i can tell you bsl here is one of the most popular stiles

see you
    Yes I know I have seen many tapes from my Bro's Claudio and Horencio. I like the way you guys perform BSL Down there!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

David

My bsl is crappy and I have seen even crappier. So, I agree with G
    Right there, that's were to draw the line.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Right there, that's were to draw the line.
    Line drawn, continuing on with live training and fitting my kungfu into it.

I would still like to get to know some more bsl where i am, unfortunately, there ain't no one around here who has it. At least not that I am aware of, and I like to think of myself as aware of where the styles are at where I'm at.

I could use some tune ups on stuff I am not correct with mechanically speaking.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Bah! The reasons for the differences is that YOU are all doing it WRONG! Only I have the TRUE Bei Sil Lum!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus
    Bah! The reasons for the differences is that YOU are all doing it WRONG! Only I have the TRUE Bei Sil Lum!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Bei SHAOLIN...........Bak SIU lum