Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: differences in bak sil lum forms from different schools

See? Another one of your commonly accepted errors....
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Red face

My Teacher translates it as SHAOLIM. A middle ground between the Canton and Mandarin Shaolin/ Siu Lum.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen
    My Teacher translates it as SHAOLIM. A middle ground between the Canton and Mandarin Shaolin/ Siu Lum.
    called BAK SIU LAM MUN too.

hey any of you guys know what line Wu Chi Nyu comes from?

I got a couple of tapes of his and the forms are a little different from the ones i learned, but again, shape and essence and sequence is essentially the same even if there are one ofr two subtleties that are different.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

David,

Is this the guy (or his student) who is selling BSL video tapes for $39.95 out of the state of Ohio? If I remember correctly, these tapes were once sold under one of his ex-students (who is also a medical doctor). These tapes were on BSL and originally came out before Sifu Wing Lam produced his own tapes. When I conversed with his student back in the 1970's, he told me at that time that his sifu was hard to understand because he spoke only Chinese and Spanish. He is no longer in the USA but returned to his home in South America. This lead me to believe that Sifu Wu learned from Sifu Chan Kowk Wai but I could be wrong.

Since his sifu left the country, he wanted me to come out to visit him (plane ticket, room and board paid for) to finish teaching him the rest of BSL and make a new complete set of videos because at that time, some of the sets were mis-named and were, for some reason, cut short. I declined the offer because I had other commitments and I recommended that he call my classmate, Wing Lam who was teaching in Sunneydale, California. He eventually did and Sifu Wing Lam made his first set of BSL video tapes from this guy. Wing never liked these videos because at the time of the taping, he was not feeling well (he had stomach flu? problems) and did not perform the sets at his best. The taping was done in one day and Wing flew back to California the next day. As a result, Wing decided to re-do them and market them himself and so the rest is history.

You can buy these tapes but he does not sell the ones with Sifu Wing Lam in it.

Kaimen, do you reconize or know who this guy, Wu Chi Nyu, is?

I don't know much about the tapes production company. Just that it is Wu Chi Nyu productions. The guys english seemed ok enough. I don't see anything on them indicating they're from ohio.

I can't remember exactly what it was , but G~ implied there was something about these tapes that had somethiung to do with his sifu Wing Lam.

The execution of the sets are different than wing lams though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, Wu Chhi Nyu has a little speaking part in English in the beginning of each tape. Just enough to get his message across. Currently the tapes are performed by either himself or by his ex senior students. It really sounds like the same guy. Maybe he's back in the USA.

And yes their execution is different from the common BSL that we nornally see here in the Northern Hemishere. It's the same but noticeably different.

these tapes are old, but yeah, I think we're talking about the same guy.

so he's one of Chan Kwok Wai's students then?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I never really engaged him

I remember when Sifu Lam went out to film those, and you're right, he wasn't happy with them. I don't think he realized what he was getting into, and signed into a bad contract. Those were the early years of video, if anyone can remember video so when the contract expired after 10 years, Wing Lam did his own series.

Funny, I have no memory of him being a BSL guy, but like I said, I never engaged him - I never met him or had any conversations with him. Wasn't it WTN? Wu Tchi Nyu, or something along those lines? He had other videos too - some escrima, some other arts. He was really early in the video thing and built his company mostly on the fact that he was one of the first.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

WTN productions...

To my understanding Woo Tchi Nyu (Brazilian romanization) was a student of Chan Kwok-wai's that moved from Brazil (Sao Paulo) to the US (Ohio, I beleive). Woo's senior student was Charles Duchaz (sp) a.k.a. "Dou Wan Chun" who is currently one of Chan Kwok Wai's top students and has a school in California. He performed several sets for the video series.

I remember watching a WTN tape entitled "Tsa Kuen" (Cha Quan) that had a pretty interesting interpretation of the Si Lu Cha Quan.

WTN was based out of Ohio and if you look for IKF issues from the late 80's early 90's you'll see his ads in there.
    Last edited by SaekSan; 12-13-2005 at 09:29 AM.
    USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

woo woo

I see. Funny I never made that connection. Or maybe I did but got that synaptical connection sheared the last time I was hit in the head. I remember Charles. We chatted a few times over the phone when I worked for WLE. I probably have all those WTN tapes in storage somewhere. They're probably in pretty bad shape now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

is that the tall black dude with the braided pony tail?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have some bootleg copies of those WTN Wing Lam tapes. I was interested in seeing what he showed for applications but as usual with videos there was nothing very deep in knowledge demonstrated. I also have a couple of the non core northern shaolin sets that Woo Tchi Nyu demonstrated like niorthern snake, 7styles eagle claw and a couple of weapon sets. I'll have to torture myself and watch one of them again to see what he said about his lineage.

Incidently according to his website he still sells shaolin and hung gar tapes that feature wing lam.

http://www.secretsoftheorient.com/se...nt/Shaolin.htm

David,

Yes, that's the one.

He's (Charles) a pretty prominent figure in the Brazilian BSL community right now. I'm not sure what happened to the WTN - CD relationship but it looks like they are no longer associated.
    USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

WTN still lives?

I imagine WTH did quite well with the Wing Lam series. He had Doc Fai Wong and Dan Inosanto, who were bigger 'names' than Wing Lam back then, probably still are bigger now. But WTN didn't promote those series near as much as he promoted Sifu Lam's stuff. For years, his ad only highlighted the BSL10 and Hung Gar. And to pay for that ad, he must have been selling well. I suppose it could be argued that this brought BSL into the public eye - one of the early steps in the progress of that lineage into the US. I remember clearly when WLE began its ad campaign and WTN quickly pulled up its tent stakes and disappeared. I remember because I was behind that ad campaign. I designed most of those ads - my campaign was targeted so I kept a keen eye on WTN throughout it. It was a very short campaign too, the way I like it.

This thread is bringing back a lot of memories for me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips