Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: differences in bak sil lum forms from different schools

legendary stories

I dunno, KL, I think it has more to do with the inherent philosophy of BSL than legends/histories of GM Ku. I think it has more to do with the kind of personalities BSL attracts. It's a complex system, especially when you compare it to something like Wing Chun. It takes a certain type of person to get to the end. The composition of the BSL 10 is magnificient, but I don't think you really get a sense of its brilliance until you complete them all and chew on them for a while. Also there's something to be said for the body type - most BSL practitioners are long and wiry, like GM Ku. I think the movements lend themselves best to this body type, just like Hung Ga lends itself to stockier stock. So maybe there's an ectomorphic quality to it, if you acribe to Sheldon (which I don't). Anyway, it's just an observation...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

nope, i agree, bsl is not so nice looking when performed by a fat person.

also, it is demanding as far as cardio vascular goes. Rapidity in the system and changes are like a stream that can drown you if you're not careful of the flow.

I only still know a few forms of it and it is a most impressive and deep style of chinese martial art.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Brother Gene...

I do have to agree with you... I'm stock-e- and have to work harder with some of the sets... But I would not give up the style. Like my Sifu, I have a love for the art and it's history... Most of the Sifus / Masters of BSL are repect-full to one another and try to help one another out to keep the peace between us.

by David Jamieson
    bsl is not so nice looking when performed by a fat person.
    PS... I feel if some is over weight and doing there best! It will look just as good someone with no meat and the same exp...

~Jason
    Last edited by Fen; 01-23-2006 at 01:11 PM.
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Post Olive Hui

Does anyone knows how can i get in touch with master Olive Hui?

Quote Originally Posted by gwa sow
    can you point out a site that has some good history on him or bak sil lum?
    My understanding is that there is no official written history. Robert Louie has an interesting and detailed history with lots of pictures {I have a copy :-} and I have a little here http://www.harmoniousfist.com/kuyucheung.html

Peace
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up