Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best running shoe

best running shoe

i havent bought anything but wingtips and those wanna be kf slippers/shoes you find at walmart in over 10 years.

i remember liking visions and converse when i was a kid, but i have no idea if those are actually decent for running.

so what should i be lookin for yall?
    where's my beer?

i want to say buy one from someone who specializes in it. like new balance. nike and reeebok and them kinda jsut mass produce shoes. that was always a theory of my cross country coach in HS 6 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/2850760/c/31521.html

just bought these (not from zappos though)

I dig em.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Best advice I could give would be to visit a shop that specializes in running shoes. Places like wal-mart, academy, and oshman's will have better deals...but they'll lack the expertise to fit you in the right shoe. I run every other day and used to have terrible shin splints. I went to a speciality running store and they fitted me with the proper shoe. Now, no problems and makes running that much more enjoyable.

Oh, I run in Nike Shox by the way and they're wonderful!

Agree with all the above but I would also metion to buy shoes that are specific to your type of running, pavement running shoes are different from trail running ones. Find a specialty shop explain the type of running you do (and how often) and they'll recommend the best for you.
    Last edited by SaekSan; 05-11-2005 at 07:37 AM.
    USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

zenile gave good advice.
    The type of running shoe to buy depends on your foot type.
    The easy test to determine foot type is to wet your foot and step on a piece of thick,dark paper or a flat paper bag. There are three types and it's based on the height of your arches. Here's a link with some pictures of the different types and probably a better explanation than I could give:
    http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/foottype.htm

Here's some of what was said on that link for those who don't care to go over..

If you have a normal (medium) arch you are considered a normal pronator. Normal pronators do well with a "stability" shoe that gives just a little arch support. If you're really lightweight you might even want a "neutral cushioned" shoe with no added support.
    If you have a flat (low) arch you're probably a overpronator. Again, stability shoes are good for this foot type OR (if you're a severe overpronator or especially tall, heavy or bow-legged) a "motion control" pair of shoes would help the most.
    If you have a high arch (the least common foot type) you'd either be an underpronator or supinator and neutral cushioned is the way to go since the softer mid-sole would encourage pronation.

Runner's World regularly runs shoe reviews, if you see one you might glance through it and check out their picks. I paid around $70 for the Nike Perseus shoes and have liked them pretty well.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

i dont think we have any specialty stores around here, but i have already learned something from this thread.

by specialty store do you guys mean just any sports shoe store or are there ones specifically geared towards running?
    where's my beer?

Specialty store to me would be a place that specializes in running. If that's not available try a shoe store that has a wide selection of running shoes.

Another thing to consider is proper fit, I was wearing 12 regulars when I should've been wearing 11 1/2 wides, made all the difference on the longer runs.

For the record I'm a fan of New Balance, Brooks and Saucony but mostly because they come in wide sizes. That's not to say that others aren't high quality it's just that they don't fit me comfortably.
    USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

www.roadrunnersports.com/

Mail order. Good selection. Knowledgeable phone staff. Free returns.

Blog Entries
    Brooks are cheap and durable.

I like to run in the same type of shoes that I practice in. This way I dont develop what I call, soft foot.

You get dependent on those running designed shoes, and then if you dont have them your feet will get hurt.

At first it kind of sucked to run several miles in kung fu shoes, but then my feet got used to it. I could run barefoot now.

Plus I run on the balls of my feet, I dont generally use my heels until I get really tired, and am forced to.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Dr. Martens; if you can run in them you can run in ANYTHING!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Others have posted good suggestions and tips. FWIW, back in high school I did track and cross-country and always work Asics running shoes. Unfortuantely, they didn't seem to be as popular as other brands and were a bit hard to find. But I did and pretty much stuck with them the whole time. I know others liked New Balance and I actually have their cross-trainers now. You might try either of these.

A little point that PangQuan's post reminded me about -- if you're sprinting, then you stay on the toes/balls of your feet. This is why track sprinters' shoes only have spikes on the balls and not on the heels; they don't use their heels. If you're just running normally though, like long distance, you're supposed to use your heels. I think this is why a lot of shoes do something in the way of shock absorption (e.g., gel inserts) particularly in the heel.

What did the cave men wear? They ran much more than us, daily. Especially when they had to chase some sort of dying animal with a spear partially stuck in it's side (They go further, and longer than you think). Plus, they had much rougher terrain to transverse.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

rd- cavemen aren't exactly a premier model for training and frankly, we don't know much about their running habits. lol...not to mention that not many of them made it past the age of 40 by all archeological indications.

GDA- If you have any stores near you that cater specifically to runners, visit them. Bear in mind that what is good for some folks is not necessarily what's good for you when it comes to running.

If you are serious about taking up running as an activity, then you should probably be getting new shoes with every 100 hours of running on your current pair.

You also have to consider things like your natural supinations and how to correct it through your footwear and other factors such as this.

Footwear is uber important to serious runners. Get a copy of runners magazine and check out the doings in the running world. Nothing like a sound authority to get your started!

Running is good m-kay?
    Kung Fu is good for you.