Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Creatine thoughts

Post Creatine

An article from the Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/per...-drugs/SM00045

Creatine is an over-the-counter supplement best known for improving performance in sports involving short bursts of high-intensity activity, such as power lifting, wrestling and sprinting. Side effects include stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and muscle cramps. High doses of creatine may be associated with kidney, liver or heart problems, and even high blood pressure, although definitive links to severe illness haven't been established.

Although teens may be taking creatine to bulk up, what actually happens is that your muscles draw water away from the rest of your body. The bulking up you experience is often the result of the extra water stored in your muscles, not increased muscle mass. You don't gain extra strength from water. But you may get seriously dehydrated from the redirection of your body's water to your muscles.

The effects of creatine on children and teens haven't been studied. And most studies of adults have followed participants for only a short time — as little as six weeks — so the long-term effects are unknown.
    Last edited by dougadam; 11-16-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Make sure you get high quality Creatine. HQ creatine powder should be very very fine and better absorbed.

Cheap Creatine products can mess your digestive organs. Make sure you get it from a reputable brand too.

Personally, i do not use any creatine or Protein powder supplements...... Im happy with eating lots of fresh fish, chicken, fruit and Eggs.. (normally I eat only 1/2 the Egg Yellow and 2-3 whole Egg White) You have to remember creatine and protein are found in foods too!!
    Last edited by zooki; 11-16-2005 at 05:59 PM.

This is what I'm interested in:
    Creatine is an over-the-counter supplement best known for improving performance in sports involving short bursts of high-intensity activity, such as power lifting, wrestling and sprinting.
    This is what I'm not interested in:
    ... may be taking creatine to bulk up ...
    I'm not a teen. And I know about the water issue, and compensate accordingly. I drink 3L of milk and 1L of green tea a day as a minimum, and assorted water and juice as well. I know it's not all water, but it contains lots of water.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/72/81723.htm

see, critics of it just don't understand.
    Bless you

I also wondered how vegetarians were able to think on their diet. Especially the ones I know, who generally have sub-optimal protein intakes. Now I know the answer: they can't

I recently started consuming cytosport's muscle milk. It is supposed to help your body produce its own creatine. Has anybody else ever had this in their diet?
    Bless you

SJ is right, I think it was on page two it was said, if you eat a lot of meat you will likely not respond as much to creatine, since it's already part of your diet.

Ironfist, buy some fresh produce