Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is you level?

Question What is you level?

I am curious as to what level of martial art skill is everyone on this site. As everyone knows every martial art system has a different ranking system, and even different ranking systems in the same style. So in order to quantify relative rank and skill, I am going to propose the following system.

For level (belt) on a scale on 1 to 10 with one being the beginning student and 10 being mastery.

And then within your current level (belt) and up to that level (martial arts is accumulated skill) your skill on a scale on 1 to 10 with one being the very little understanding and 10 being mastery.

For example: If the belt ranking went as follows white, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, brown, red, black, senior black.

And you were a green belt your level would be 4. And say you knew the required form and strikes however you did not know how to apply them I would say your skill up to that level would be a 3.

I know that many don't use belts but I am sure you get the idea.

i have been doing kung fu for 5 years. and by american standards i think i am on the advance level. am I high in the advance game? not really at all. I still need work on moves and such. but i think my kung fu is good and my fighting is good too. i know what needs work and i keep on tuggin away. i dont practice as much with working so much. it sucks. will i ever become a master? who knows, probably not. i try to stay humble. except when im at tournaments talking trash

i jsut try to have fun when doing it. if i dont have fun then im doing it for the wrong reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

1. ranking systems within styles are different

2. anytime you are depending on someone to HONESTLY rank THEMSELVES, there's bound to be error...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Hmmm... isn't what you're asking somewhat based on perception? I can understand a question such as "how long?" even though I know plenty of people that have been at it for years and are still inept. Even if people were in a system that quantified how much you know in a given level (which is uncommon in CMA) you'll still get a eschewed answer based on the perception of their teachers.

Does it even matter? Why?

USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I'll play and hopefully reinforce Sevenstars (*edit: and Seaksan's) point.

7 years of hung gar and I was wearing a brown sash.

13 years of a mixed system of kung fu and I was wearing a 3rd level black sash and was given the title of 'sifu' by my teacher

20 months of praying mantis and that's all I'm training now and I don't have any rank in it.

*edit*
    oops, forgot one:

6 months of jujitsu and I have a blue belt.

i fight so-so.

so, I'm a So So Sash.
    Last edited by Oso; 05-11-2005 at 09:47 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I'm the self-proclaimed Grandmaster of my own system.

I call it 'Hold 'em and Go-Do'. It's a super-secret system in which I magically take all of your money using nothing but a simple deck of playing cards. Then I vanish into thin air. *poof*

Send me $100 and I'll teach you.

Seriously, though, wouldn't it just be easier to ask people how long they've been practicing certain arts?

7* mantis for 7 months. We also work a little Shuai Chiao and a little submission wrestling.
    Last edited by Reggie1; 05-11-2005 at 09:53 AM.

I'm a 8th level fighter with a sweet +5 Vorpal Sword and +2 Plate of fire resistance.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Im pretty good, by this system I would have to rank myself kinda high. hmmm at least a -7 ya that sounds about right.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie
    I'm a 8th level fighter with a sweet +5 Vorpal Sword and +2 Plate of fire resistance.

{Drinks Potion of Dexterity}

{Casts Mirror Image Spell on self}

{Casts Ice Storm at Ralphie}
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

My level... about 2 degrees off center
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

{Drinks Potion of Dexterity} -takes 1 turn
    I have a 3/2 attack ratio. My first strike turns up 8 (a miss) Next strike a 15. Roll the 10 sided die for damage-6+5+3(str bonus)=14 dmg.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Drinking the potion was a free action because I was hiding and you were unaware of me.

You couldn't have acted until you 'spotted' (god I hate 3rd ed rules) me casting the Mirror Image.

but anyway...you think I'm standing here in some flimsy robe?

I have a dex of 16, Bracers of AC 4 and a ring of prot +1 for an AC of 1. I think you need...crap, that would have meant you needed a 19 but I'm not sure.

fudge it, ok you hit me

just averageing my HP at 5/lvl and as a 9th level mu/th that gives me 45 HP...now 31.

[his plan to attack from hiding foiled, the entrepid half elf drops a small figurine to the ground and a small but ferocious looking wombat trundles toward the fighter]

{plays his flute of the dragon}

{calls forth the red dragon from the depths of heck}

Red dragon incinerates all other players:

GAME OVER !!

I win.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

for not participating in that melee, my street cred goes +1.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

abdominal adipose shield:
    AC 5
    CHA -10 against females
    Resistance is futile, teh Clerus is done. He awaits for the end aknowledging its presence everyday. When it comes he hopes to feel like being in the womb again.
    I am not here at the forum therefore, got nothing more to say and cannot save anyone (me included).
    I know i can resist for a good while, uknown is the value of while. Impermanence might be the only truth to life.
    Bye, peeps