Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Origin of The Finger

Actually the French were cutting off the index finger and the Welch could still fire a bow with the middle finger so they raised it as a salute.

Well,well,well. On the History Channel they gave the "V" for Victory salute from the longbow men showing that they still had all of their fingers. It was not, however, the orgin of the one finger salute.
    And of the orgin of F*ck. Middle German, if I recall, for breeding cattle.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I don't remember what magazine I read this in but the thumb was used for the finger of insult in some parts of the world. The article was about unintentionally offending different societies while vactioning in their countries.
    An American, whose vehicle had broken down, was hitch-hicking with his thumb out when the occupents of the car he was flagging down stopped and kicked his butt.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I heard that one of those fingers ended up in a bowl of Chile at Wendy's.
    Figure Eight

as has been said a couple of times already.....it was two finger that were cut off not the middle finger alone, english men would show the french their two fingers (not entirely sure where the saying 'up Yours' comes from that is customery here in England to say along with this display!) to show they could still kill the baguette munching, onion wearing, frog leg eating frenchies that they could still be killed by them!

I read somewhere and also heard at an archery display at warwick castle in england that the longbow was arruate to 300yards but could travel up to a mile and still pierce armour. Dont know how true this is though.
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

300 yds would be a relatively straight shot, the long ones would be a higher arc: less accurate, but could still come down with a whump.

This has probably been tested by the Master At Arms in the Tower, who must have THE coolest job on the planet!

Those guys at Warwick couldn't hit a barn door with a laser-guided arrow...!

I was a police officer in a major city. During graduation practice from the academy a friend of mine flipped me off...the training Lt. tried to have him fired for this.

The whole thing went ont for months, even after graduation was said and done. It was hilarious...

When the Lt questioned me as to what the finger meant to me I said, "its a joke."

And she said..."You don't think it means '**** you'"

The I filed a harassment complaint for innappropriate dialouge.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.