Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun vs. CLF rooftop fights footage?

Wing Chun vs. CLF rooftop fights footage?

I have one clip on my harddrive (don't have a link for the website I got it off of though). Trying to find out if there's any more out there? I think I had a couple others from quite awhile ago, but they're long gone now (victims of harddrive crashes). The one I have is the more recent one that's been going around a bit with the Wing Chun guy who causes his opponent to trip backwards... anyone remember the site that's from?

You could always share that one clip from your hard drive ya know....I have been looking for clips of the "rooftop fights" for a while myself....
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

There's a zillion copies of a young Bruce fighting on a rooftop. With some searching it shouldn't be hard to find. But it is of course of "a boy" in that clip. I've never seen other footage.

If no one can find it I'll look for it when I get a chance.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I had posted something similar a while back.
    someone put a post up that had that clip but now it is gone.
    here is the link

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=19918

maybe the guy who posted it has it.
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

You could always share that one clip from your hard drive ya know....
    I don't know how I could email it to you if you like. Or if someone knows of an easy to use free site that would host it.

Never mind, I uploaded it onto an old website I put together when teaching myself some html. Forgot I had it, lol. http://www.geocities.com/bajibrad/ just click on the link that says "Wing Chun fight!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Never mind, I uploaded it onto an old website I put together when teaching myself some html. Forgot I had it, lol. http://www.geocities.com/bajibrad/ just click on the link that says "Wing Chun fight!"

Hi, Brad

Again, in the interests of historical accuracy, the stocky Wing Chun guy knocking his Praying Mantis (not CLF.....there is another film of a bloodier fight in a sort of basement carpark like structure where the WC guy prevails over his CLF opponent in a less one sided match) opponent around is none other than Wu Chun Nam sifu, still teaching today and a member of the recently formed AVTA (Authentic Ving Tsun Association).

Wu was Wong Shun Leung's first personal student and the man who sort of interviewed and "vetted" me one week before giving me the OK to begin training under Wong sifu, way back in the winter of 1964!

I may very well have been the first foreigner to see that movie (I had to borrow my father's 8mm projector for the showing). Unless, my memory is faulty, I remember the bout went on for a bit longer than what the clip shows, and ended with the Mantis guy throwing a snap front kick that Wu blocked with a Gahn Sao so powerful that the Mantis guy was spun around on his supporting leg, allowing Wu to punch his opponent in the back, thus ending the fight.

Regards.

Rolf

Interesting. Thanks Brad for putting up the clip, and Rolf for exlpaining it. That's pretty much how I envisioned those fights to be. Fist clip I've seen of the rooftops.

I like the way he's using his footwork to cut off the opponent...just like in wong shun leungs dvd. Good use of the footwork.

Also notice he's not using the "wing chun chain punching" or Lin wan kuen....I like that too. "Hit when you should, and do not when you shouldn't". I also noticed the punches looked a little "rabbit" like, not so much the "proper method" of today. This seems to be a bit more in line with Ernie's video of Gary lam talking about the various punching methods.

My personal wing chun method has cross characteristics, things from different lineages, which I've found to be more a long the lines of Bruce's thought on "weeding out" what doesn't work (for him), although still within the wing chun umbrella. It's good to see the end result looks a lot like what some of the other guys are doing here. So maybe we're more alike in our methods then we think we are?

Thanks again for the clip!
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 05-13-2005 at 04:41 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I was kind of dissapointed that the clip cut off when it did... the original place found it was a site making fun of Wing Chun so maybe they tried editing out the best part Anyway, I thought it was allright. Even an outsider could tell he was using Wing Chun, not just flailing wildly, used the enviroment and his footwork pretty well, and he put a pretty good whoopin' on his opponent... overall pretty nice clip, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen
    Also notice he's not using the "wing chun chain punching" or Lin wan kuen
    I thought I saw some chain punching, perhaps a little fast and loose and non-robotic but continuous fists here and there, when distance warranted.

No Tan-Da, Lop Sao, Pak Sao, etc, though!

I would assume based on how young Bruce looked there that this was fairly early in his training, say < 1 year.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Sweet! I love seeing these old fight clips. Thanks Brad!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

By the way, does anyone else have any clips like this? The one with WC Vs CLF in the parking garage sounds interesting. Any links? Thanks.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus
    By the way, does anyone else have any clips like this? The one with WC Vs CLF in the parking garage sounds interesting. Any links? Thanks.

Hi, Cerebus

I have yet to come across this clip on the internet, but there is a brief, graphic description of it on page 55 of Jesse Glover's fascinating 1976 book "Bruce Lee: Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do"

Rolf

Thanks for the reply Rolf. I tried looking it up on the web, but no such luck. I also like seeing old clips of the Taiwan and SE Asian tournaments. I saw some old Taiwan clips last year that were interesting (can't seem to find those anymore either ).
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Not dissing the guy of course, but it looks typical of a fighter with experience of only one kind of fighting.