Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting to watch the slow death of the forum

sihing

There's allot of grouping here (theoretians, fighters, historians, etc...)
    And that is what made this place such a great forum, various thinkers and ideas...regardless of what it is(was). We have the ability to share our own ideas, but now people feel a little skeptical doing so, as they may be told the are wrong or that they don't understand.

and people using labels.
    This has been the great downfall! Not to sound like I am contradicting myself from the first statement, because I am not. But the fact that we have people here with different abilities, knowledge and experiences.....this is what made it great! But when people start using the labels, name grouping and pointing fingers...this is where we have lost track of what this forum is about (to me anyway).

Details and differences between us should be understood, and not taken personally, as we all have our varied opinions on things and this is the place to talk about those differences and similarities.
    Agreed! We don't have to believe everything everyone says here, but accept it as just an opinion, or someone else's beliefs and leave it at that, with out all the attacks.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

New Subject

While the martial arts have a long history in both Japan and China, the rise of MMA has been something akin to the scientific method, where we can actually test the claims. Japanese styles (mainly Judo/Jiujitsu) have made an invaluable contribution to the sport, while the Chinese styles seem to have contributed nothing. The reality is that some of these Japanese martial arts really do work, while the Chinese martial arts seem to be almost pure mythology. If I'm wrong, one has to wonder why a country of over a billion people has not been able to bring forth a single MMA competitor of note. China can create an NBA star, but its rich and ancient history of martial arts can't produce a single MMA champion? A country with less than a tenth the people manages to produce so many great MMA competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson
    New Subject

While the martial arts have a long history in both Japan and China, the rise of MMA has been something akin to the scientific method, where we can actually test the claims. Japanese styles (mainly Judo/Jiujitsu) have made an invaluable contribution to the sport, while the Chinese styles seem to have contributed nothing. The reality is that some of these Japanese martial arts really do work, while the Chinese martial arts seem to be almost pure mythology. If I'm wrong, one has to wonder why a country of over a billion people has not been able to bring forth a single MMA competitor of note. China can create an NBA star, but its rich and ancient history of martial arts can't produce a single MMA champion? A country with less than a tenth the people manages to produce so many great MMA competitors.

huh???

I don't think there's an active MMA training scene in China at this point. Back during Mao's time, they just did Wushu and when visiting Sanshou teams came, the Chinese team didn't spar well. Then they started training for it, and already being spectacular athletes, the next time a visiting team came, they did much better.

They do very well in the many amateur athletics they do persue, so if they had teams the way Brazil had Chute Boxe, BTT, etc., the U.S. had ATT, Quest, MFS, etc., Russia had Red Devil, RTT, etc., I'm sure they would also become competitive.

Likewise, the spread of Asian wrasslin from Mongolia, through China, into Japan, and to Brazil has also seen a shift of focus from pit-fighting to injurious combat method, to harmonious sport (which went on to favor throws), to ground-fighting MMA.

Moral of both stories: You are what you train.

The reality is that some of these Japanese martial arts really do work, while the Chinese martial arts seem to be almost pure mythology. If I'm wrong, one has to wonder why a country of over a billion people has not been able to bring forth a single MMA competitor of note.
    Maybe because with a billion people they don't need to go outside of the country and do MMA.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

The Chinese are a litttle busy right now...

The Chinese are a little busy right now as they are the manufacturing center of the world at the moment. Their economy is red hot, they are the place where raw materials from all over the world are going to fuel their explosive growth.

It's the place where all computers by ALL the major players are manufactured now.

It's the place where the majority of consumer electronics are manufactured now--from cell phones, to TV's to monitors, to dvd players, mp3 players, cameras, etc.

It's the place where Wal-mart the largest retailer on the planet has annointed as the perferred source for their goods.

So the Chinese are a little busy being the place where everything you buy comes from. Perhaps when they have some free time, they'll spend some of their recreation time on building a MMA culture.

You might ask the same thing about India for that matter. They too are busy taking over the knowledge work of the world for pennies on the dollar. The playing fields of work have been levelled but not in a way you might imagine.

Now perhaps the uneducated underclass might be interested in MMA. But in both cases I doubt it. In the case of China, the government certainly isn't interested in a populace being trained in combative arts. Not if your goal is to suppress and control them. Historically during the cultural revolution they killed off or "re-educated" martial arts teachers en masses in China.

You have to look at the big picture to see what has gone on in the long term and what is important in the short term to figure out priorities.

Martial Arts in China is viewed more as a "tourist" industry draw than anything.
    You can see it in the "Shaolin Temple" and in the dumbing down of the tournaments in Chen Village for example.

So, again, right now the focus on scientific method is not on MMA, but on economic development and domination of strategic marketplaces. In many respects it is tragic that instead of forcing change as we did against the Soviet Union in a technological race--we've simply HANDED OVER and outsourced our technology in the name of reduced labor costs and profit.

Start taking a look at the back of everything you own and purchase to see where it is Manufactured at. Wonder why the cost of raw materials here like steel and cement are so high and WHERE they are being exported to.

Start wondering if your MMA training will allow you to compete with someone with a higher education than you who is quite happy with a $5,000/year salary in their country.

Pay attention to what matters, as opposed to who has what belt in the latest Pride or UFC. It's about as meaningfull as who "won" on any particular WWE show or Don King sponsored Boxing event.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson
    New Subject

David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

TTT

Looks like I called it

all that is left to pull the plug ,sweep the floor and lock the door !

unless of course you like the antics of the multiple Sybil personality *FRAUD SQUAD* and the ongoing battle for attention !

well I guess it's better then reality TV , as the Kung Fu Fantasy Film Festival continues hahahahahaha

resume the 3rd graders fight for lunch room popularity ,

fading back to grown up land
    peace
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Ernie,

You called it alright! The sybil krap is beyond lame.

You're always welcome at HFY108... but you know that.

Later,

Alex

Break your chains

Don't drink the Kool Aid.

Thumbs up Speaking Of The Death Of A Forum

I'm not talking about this forum.It still seems to be doing OK.The forum that has just about died (and rightfully so) is the "vingtsun.com.hk/forum".That forum used to be so active until the forum started publishing everyones IP address.Then the trolls flew away.It was funny to watch.This forum is 1000 times better than that one.

Well, if you practice zen UWC, nothing really exists, its just all an illusion
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-29-2005 at 09:06 PM.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Kool aid = magic bull$hit juice that the fantasy fu people drink and buy into all the crap there told , stuff like breaking bricks , chi , iron nut sack or anything iron who in the hell want to turn themselves into a punching bag ? , what Sifu says , ridicules theories, concepts , techniques to create the illusion of being special
    / colonel secret spices syndrome , walking on water , 36 chambers , our way is better then everybody else because we can trace our style back the pound scum at the beginning of time '' right after the big bang , once you hand me all your money and become a disciple then you will be a master and get certified and no one will stop you ! , etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not a derogatory statement , would have asked for grape knee high

hope that helps please pass it on to all multiple personalities in the room and CC the puppet master

he shoots , he scores , he doesn't care more meaningless banter

fading back to the world of the only slightly insane

Peace
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-30-2005 at 07:18 AM.

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

[QUOTE=Ernie]Kool aid = magic bull$hit juice that the fantasy fu people drink and buy into all the crap there told , stuff like breaking bricks , chi , iron nut sack or anything iron who in the hell want to turn themselves into a punching bag ? , what Sifu says, ridicules theories, concepts , techniques to create the illusion of being special / colonel secret spices syndrome , walking on water , 36 chambers , our way is better then everybody else because we can trace our style back the pound scum at the beginning of time '' right after the big bang , once you hand me all your money and become a disciple then you will be a master and get certified and no one will stop you ![QUOTE]

Ernie, -That is pure poetry, Bro........

(It's 5 minutes later, and I still can't stop laughing about "Colonel secret spices syndrome"!!)
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

[QUOTE=lawrenceofidaho][QUOTE=Ernie]Kool aid = magic bull$hit juice that the fantasy fu people drink and buy into all the crap there told , stuff like breaking bricks , chi , iron nut sack or anything iron who in the hell want to turn themselves into a punching bag ? , what Sifu says, ridicules theories, concepts , techniques to create the illusion of being special / colonel secret spices syndrome , walking on water , 36 chambers , our way is better then everybody else because we can trace our style back the pound scum at the beginning of time '' right after the big bang , once you hand me all your money and become a disciple then you will be a master and get certified and no one will stop you !

Ernie, -That is pure poetry, Bro........

(It's 5 minutes later, and I still can't stop laughing about "Colonel secret spices syndrome"!!)
    Glad i could be of service

got to run bro , have 3 miles of road work , 2 hours of coaching , and 1 hour of bag work to put in ,

got a little something , something to handle in a month

peace

P.s. I got Jokes

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_pasram
    Don't drink the Kool Aid.
    There is no harm done, I respect all of you guys,, for real,, now that I know what I’m dealing with… I can’t fault you for that… so lets not fight,, I’ll behave…

Ali Rahim.

Peace.

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-30-2005 at 03:47 PM.