Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Style to chose? Leung Ting any good?

What Style to chose? Leung Ting any good?

Hello,

I just moved to NYC from Australia where I studied various martial arts. I have made my decision and want to learn proper Kung Fu. What I would love is to train two different styles, one focusing on body control and great forms/weapons (internal/external?) and the other concentrating on usability and effectiveness in a real combat situation (linear/circular? emperor's fist? jet kine do?). What is your opinion?

Which styles and schools in the New York area can you recommend? What about the Leung Ting System Wing Tsun school in Manhattan? Is the style worth recommending? What about the Bow Law school? My priority is not a fancy school with shiny uniforms but to study hard and learn the real deal! What's the secret tip for NYC?

It would be great if you guys could give a newbie some expert advice as to what the best choice of style is, for each of the areas mentioned.

Appreciate your help!!
    Marco
    Edit/Delete Message

Have you ever heard of Complete Wing Chun?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I recommend a little research. Find out about the different lineages of Wing Chun and the families inside those lineages.

Is one school better than another? Sure. But that's what I think. Personally, I think you're lucky to be in NYC, as I'm in the Moy Yat family. But, again...that's MY opinion and it's not work squat.

First, do the research. Then, do the research...go check out the schools and find what you're looking for. Is Leung Ting any good? Of course. Is person X any good? Probably. Does it work in a highly-intensive situation as well? To some that's more important....like having the complete package. Are you sitting in a stance and throwing the same punches for 2 hours and then sent home? Have you learned any self-defense against a resisting opponent? Etc, etc. I'm sure your martial arts you studied should give you the ability to have red flags go off.

What martial arts have you learned in the past? What has drawn you to the art of Wing Chun?

Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Leung Ting not bad, Jason Lau has a very good school, stay away from the made up Wing Chun Wiliam Cheung style.

Quote Originally Posted by Exydian
    Hello,

I just moved to NYC from Australia where I studied various martial arts. I have made my decision and want to learn proper Kung Fu. What I would love is to train two different styles, one focusing on body control and great forms/weapons (internal/external?) and the other concentrating on usability and effectiveness in a real combat situation (linear/circular? emperor's fist? jet kine do?). What is your opinion?

Which styles and schools in the New York area can you recommend? What about the Leung Ting System Wing Tsun school in Manhattan? Is the style worth recommending? What about the Bow Law school? My priority is not a fancy school with shiny uniforms but to study hard and learn the real deal! What's the secret tip for NYC?

It would be great if you guys could give a newbie some expert advice as to what the best choice of style is, for each of the areas mentioned.

Appreciate your help!!
    Marco
    Edit/Delete Message
    Try the Wing Chun Kali System of New York City

If your after internal MA (xsing I and Bagua) in NYC I have *heard* from a number of sources that a guy called David Bond Chan is very good. Ask Ray Pina on the main board about it.

You might want to have a look at David Ross' San Da class too (posts as LKFMDC on the main board) and Renzo Gracies BJJ academy.

In terms of wing chun I imagine there are a few shools to choose from. Look around and see what you like.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Marco,

I understand how hard it is for you to look for wing chun gung fu school. If you would like to meet up in person, then I would like to invite you to work out with me and then yum cha in chinatown. I would like to exchange our experience and ideas about wing chun and martial arts in general. My skills and understanding of wing chun comes from Sifu Alan Lee (Lee Chee Kong) and from Sibak Duncan Leung. I was a short time student of Victor Parlati as well but that is in the past and now I am in no way connected to him. If our meeting sounds like a good idea, please PM me. I am giving you a chance to see what Duncan Leung and Allan Lee's wing chun looks like. I am not the best student of Sifu Allan lee or Duncan leung's wing chun, but when come to teaching and explaining their principles I am pretty darn good! I am in no way a sifu in wing chun, but after our meeting I can suggest some schools which might be better for you. If you are newbie to Wing Chun, then I can show you what to look for in Wing Chun so you wont be duped by flowery hands and fancy shoots and poor instruction!

Be well,
    Bao
    Last edited by FooFighter; 05-15-2005 at 03:46 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Quote Originally Posted by Samson
    Leung Ting not bad, Jason Lau has a very good school, stay away from the made up Wing Chun Wiliam Cheung style.
    I'll bite.

William Cheung didn't make his Wing Chun up. And if you've watched William Cheung's Wing Chun over the vast amount of years...it has evolved and is effective.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Keeping it non-politcal,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

The Leung Ting guy in NYC is really good, go check him out for your self.

Marco:

I am still connected with Victor Parlati...because, well...

I am Victor Parlati.

And I've been teaching Traditional Wing Chun (William Cheung) here in NYC for 20 years (have been doing wing chun for a total of 30 years...spent my first 8 years directly under Moy Yat).

You can reach me at the following email address if you're interested in watching one of my classes: wingchun@usa.com
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-15-2005 at 11:34 PM.

stay away from the made up Wing Chun Wiliam Cheung style
    That's pretty funny coming from someone who made up his own identity and gave a fake address on the other thread.

Right, "Bernard"?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Come check out www.sifugrados.com. His skills are amazing. There are a number of very skilled, friendly students. After reading your post, you sound like you would fit right in. We do offer some of the hardest sparring in the art of wingchun. No equipment. Pulled punches to the face, fairly hard to the body. Even though the sparring is intense and there are injury's. It is as close to actual stand up fighting as you can get. Sifu Grados also has a Blue belt in jujitsu under the machado brothers.

If you want to talk more please email me at youngmantis@hotmail.com.

Look forward to meeting you

Anthony Arrigo

Sam,

I have been reading your treads and it appears you are trying to push some buttons. <wink> Honestly, the men here who you offended should exercise more mental control and ignore your comments. You may disagree with William Cheung's approach but you dont have to be disrespectful about it. Seriously, dude, there should not be any more political sense in the wing chun world. I doubt political wars will ever end in wing chun because as long we have power structures and money connected to it, then these petty wars and low conscious thoughts will continues to go on. As an asian american, I wondered what would happen to wing chun once all the chinamen yip man wing chun sifus has left the earth. I wondered what would happen to the power structure then? At this point, I dont care if wing chun lives or dies due to political nonsense. Because I have the faith that a few will get it. I personally dont think William Cheung's methodologies works for me, but this in itself doesnt discredit Sibak Cheung's abilities as a wing chun fighter. Both NON-TWC sifus such as Allan Lee and Duncan Leung both has verbally admitted to me that William Cheung was their idols when they were starting up in wing chun gung fu and that he was a bad arse and real deal fighter back in the day. I am no longer a TWC student, but I respect Victor Parlati and TWC in general. Respect is the cornerstone of a martial spirit. As an example of this Mo Duk, Sifu Allan Lee has advised me when I first started with him not be mad at Sifu Parlati or look down at TWC, but to look at him as a father who taught me wing chun. Your father can show you both the dark and light and it up to you to figure out the difference. "A day with a sifu, a father for a lifetime..." Strange, but I finally understand it now.

Yours in Strength,
    Bao
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

I appreciate your comments, Bao.

Good luck with your training.

FooFighter

It is nice to see this type of attitude and respect on this forum for a change.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Overwhelmed and thanks

Hi,

First of all I have to say thanks to the overwhelmingly great response. I will do my homework and try to find the WC system that works best for me. I have gotten some really good tips here as well as starting points and addresses.

It is interesting to see I sparked a heated discussion as well, as to which lineage is the true one. Personally, I think every martial art is an evolving and living system and there is no such thing as preserving the original state of an ancient art form. The world changes every day and with it the way we do our forms. While I do think to bear tradition in mind is important, I also think every martial art has to develop further and flow with time. If it stops moving, it dies. Just because things change doesn't mean they turn bad or false. Just as our language adapts to our modern world our Kung Fu adapts as well. It's not good or bad, it just is.

Anyway, thank you all for your great help and maybe see you soon!

Marco