Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: why is everyone bipolar now?

A 'lil joke

Q: How many kids with ADD does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Wanna play some video games?
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

lolkung fu!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Me, I have varied mood swings alot. I can be extreamly happy one minute, then miserable the next. Of course, when I'm single, I'm happy as a clam for extended periods of time. I'm never mad, angry depressed or short fused at all.

After a short review of my emotional health, I can only come to one conclusion...Women make you nuts!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Today I saw prenatal vitamins that have an agent in them which is supposed to help prevent your infant from being born with adhd...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    Today I saw prenatal vitamins that have an agent in them which is supposed to help prevent your infant from being born with adhd...
    Oh you have GOT to be kidding me!! Do you happen to have the brand? And what was in it in particular that was supposed to prevent the gestation of a likely ADHD kid?

heh....i think alot of people would get help with some meditation in their lives. everyone has mood swings. its part of being of human and having a mind and emotions. doesn't mean anything is wrong with you.

i wonder at what point does not controlling them lead to full on psychosis where you lose all control? are they preventable or does something like BP just turn on like a switch?

all i do know is the psychology/psychiatry field is seriously lacking... we dont even have a definition for consciousness or a complete working model for how the the mind works, but they prescribe drugs to "fix" your brains chemistry...

can you imagine trying to fix a car or computer (which is far less complicated by comparison) without having the first clue how it operates?
    Last edited by FuXnDajenariht; 05-18-2005 at 02:04 PM.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht
    i wonder at what point does not controlling them lead to full on psychosis where you lose all control? are they preventable or does something like BP just turn on like a switch?
    It's different for different people. Usually it's outside factors that can trigger a change in mood (ie: limited amount of daylight after daylights savings time, a sad memory being triggered), othertimes there really is no explanation. It's the depression stages that are the most dangerous. There have been days where I could not physically get out of bed. Some of these times there was absolutely no good reason to be depressed...good job, no debt problems, house, food, family all in good spirits. That's where it can be frustrating.

Personally, medication has usually made my mood worse, often trapping me in a low mood if that is where I was when I started taking it. Plus it's expensive as crap, and 9/10ths of the year I am usually just fine. I also don't have the money or time to be playing lab-rat while the doctor tries to find the right combo. I feel forturnate that I am either normal (most of the time) or low. I don't get the rapid swings between high and low. I do get racing thoughts/ideas occasionally, as well as trouble sleeping. This has been the basis of being diagnosed with BP as opposed to just depression. But for me, programming computers all day, my mind tends to start working like a computer, which can lead to racing thoughts at the end of the day.

Another big problem is doctors not listening to their patients. I have had quite a few medical problems due to injuries and stuff, so I know exactly how my body reacts to certain families of drugs. But most PHDs have head-in-cement syndrome, and believe (or at least give the impression) that the patient is just a head case who knows nothing. I have done so much research on this subject that I have corrected a couple physchiatrists on their comments. I am no expert, but they should be.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

i had this thought a few months ago, and its kinda ironic with all the madness religion is causing to people. but at the most basic level religions like hinduism, buddhism, taoism, sufism...etc etc were early forms of psychological therapy. just food for thought.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

can you imagine trying to fix a car or computer (which is far less complicated by comparison) without having the first clue how it operates?
    Not only can imagine it I've tried it many times. It's all part of being a man.

OCD people are fun to be around. I worked with someone with OCD and god help you if you sat on his desk or moved anything. One night shift sysop had it down and would move the guys things just a tiny little bit.
    Last edited by rogue; 05-18-2005 at 06:24 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    Not only can imagine it I've tried it many times. It's all part of being a man.
    lol how did that work out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    Only if they stop taking it.....
    lol

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht
    all i do know is the psychology/psychiatry field is seriously lacking... we dont even have a definition for consciousness or a complete working model for how the the mind works, but they prescribe drugs to "fix" your brains chemistry...
    So they shouldn't prescribe anything until they've completely figured everything out? Humans make progress slowly by trial and error.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

true but do we have to be wreckless about it? would you let your family live in a home built by an engineer experimenting with new and unproven, potentially dangerous building methods? these medications are largely unnecassary for the majority of people using them as everyone has mentioned. when a person genuinely needs medications, he/she pretty much becomes a guinea pig. someones mind is not one of those things you figure out by trial and error. im sure anyone will tell you electro-shock treatment is no fun.

plus the added fact that a lot of the medications marketed today seem to be driven by profits and not the need to help people. marketing is the key word. if something is truly effective do you really need 10 commercials about it during the superbowl. or will the results speak for themselves? and shouldn't your doctor be prescribing them, instead of your going to the doctor and requesting? lol do you think they needed to market penicillin?

Unnessesary medications are exactly the reason I no longer work in the mental health field.It doesn't seem to matter how much new research and alternative treatments are available with most doctors, they seem bound and determined to administer the latest greatest chemical restraints as they are developed. My conclusion after eight years in the field is that all mood and mind altering drugs used for mental health are simply chemical restaints. Many will argue and they always do, but I've seen zero evidence to the contrary.

The rest of the herd's gone MAD !!!