Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston Area?

Boston Area?

I'm moving to the Boston area, any members here in that area, and what schools are there in the area?

i'm also looking for people to workout/train with style doesn't matter.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

I'm in boston area. I only post in the health forum though usually.
    I'm definitely down for working out together sometimes. My "style" is no style. I've never trained with any official schools and I honestly stick more towards western methods. I mostly practice boxing, kicking and lots of swordsmanships (all styles, although western is my favorite). I'm in the process of getting back into the weekly things that are sponsored by SCA folks. They do weekly fencing of all styles. Great fun and exercise.

Great i'm about three weeks from arriving there, so i'll pm you my contact info once i'm there.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Im in Quincy which is right next door to Boston and linked by the T(which is the abbreviation for Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority) our way of saying the subway around here.

There are a few schools around.

I train in Bagua mostly but keep up other things I have done in the past.

Feel free to email me offlist and I will be glad to help you out. You can email me at:
    Jooklumpai@hotmail.com or daledugas192@comcast.net either one will get me.

There are Wah Lum mantis schools as well as the white crane school of Dr. Yang Jwing Ming as well as another white crane school in Chinatown. I know of a new school which is teaching some pretty intense classes.

Drop me a line and we can talk more.

Inic,

No offense but playing around with SCA, boxing and kicking is not going to really do anything other than set some really negative engrams which will do you more injustice than anything else. Im all up for meeting up with different people. so drop me a line and we can see what transpires.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

No offense but playing around with SCA, boxing and kicking is not going to really do anything other than set some really negative engrams which will do you more injustice than anything else. Im all up for meeting up with different people. so drop me a line and we can see what transpires.
    What?! Sure if you are self-trained you are going to develop some habits that go against what some formal schools say you should do, but you can still make progress, especially if you are training against resisting partners on a regular basis...there ARE great fighters that learned from videos...I know that is tough to accept for anyone that has paid a great deal of money to learn from a "master"...but its true...

OK sorry not trying to hijack the thread so I will add...Boston San Shou is probably one of the best sport fighting gyms in the country...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

I understand what you mean about the self trained but I do try very hard to avoid such things. I do study many styles and pick certain things I think are "realistic" and practice them. I am just an "anti-forms" person. I think doing a 10 step form over and over will lead to bad habit, that's just my own belief though. Example I can give is 90% of all my punches are straight fist because it's the most efficient type of punch I've seen and experienced. I just try to take ONE move (not the whole routine)and incorporate it into my own style.

By the way, which gyms or places have bags for punching/kicking? Looking for a free(VERY unlikely in boston) or a cheap $ place that has them. I used to go to city gym but they got bought out by gold gym and they don't have the boxing room with all that great gear anymore

Edit: Wanted to add that I noticed formally trained people have a harder time fighting non-formally trained people because they are "spontaneous" and "unorthodox" fighting. I see this A LOT when I fence.
    Last edited by inic; 05-17-2005 at 08:32 PM.

Hi, welcome to Boston (soon).

Depends on what youre looking for. Plenty of good MA around Boston.

If youre at all interested in san shou / sanda type training, Boston San Shou is being reopened in a new location, 80 Bedford Street, 2nd floor in downtown Boston, right on edge of finacial district and chinatown. near 'downtown crossing' and 'south station' T stops. Should be officially open beginning of June, but we'll be there limited hours before then mon, wed, fri from 6:30-7:30.
    Name may change to 'Boston SanDa KungFu'
    check out old website at boston-kickboxing.com or see marvinperry.org for general info on us.
    And if its not your type of thing for training, still feel welcome to stop in and say hi.
    Good luck with your move.

Chris

ps, inic,
    I've probably seen you at the old City Gym before they closed, spent some time there myself, miss the bag room. We may have 'open studio' hours at the new gym location, with no instruction for low cost, depends on liability insurance, class structure and other variables which we're developing now. at any rate, will have variety of bags to use.

Akhilleus,

It is not about learning from a master, rather learning with someone who can watch you and re-adjust you when your posture is off and other little things that will not help you but hurt you. You can get in the way of yourself if you do not learn how to maximize your movements. Also you need to learn true and proper body mechanics and few if anyone can just pick that up. If it were the case you would see everyone peforming perfectly and have no need for coaches, teachers, etc...

I agree with you about learning with partners. that one key to self-mastery. Though again you have to have someone who has a little bit of a background. Just messing around is just messing around.

Inic,

Forms are bad? You mean learning hundreds of forms? Forms give you the material with which you can break down and ingrain a technique into your refelxive actions. Im not talking doing the form exactly as your shown it. Im talking about learning the concepts that make up the techniques emcompassed within the movements of the form. Be careful of that jeet kune do paradigm. Forms in the beginning are useful and then hopefully if your moving in the right direction you would move on to spontaneous reactive training. Never know what Im going to do when someone comes at me. Depends on many factors.

I do not agree with you on the straight punching thing, but thats ok, we do not have to agree brother. I have seen some insane hook and uppercuts used more, again depends on what is thrown at you and by who.

Later,

Dale

jmd- I haven't trained in a while, but my old teacher paul rosado at Chinese Kickboxing (.com) I think trained with black tiger for a while. He does san shou and police type training now, or did as recently as a few years ago
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Quote Originally Posted by MutantWarrior
    Hi, welcome to Boston (soon).

Name may change to 'Boston SanDa KungFu'

shocking.................

It is not about learning from a master, rather learning with someone who can watch you and re-adjust you when your posture is off and other little things that will not help you but hurt you.
    I agree that having that person there is a huge help and very important...

You can get in the way of yourself if you do not learn how to maximize your movements.
    Yes you can...but there is more to it than whether or not you can maximize your movements...

Also you need to learn true and proper body mechanics and few if anyone can just pick that up.
    The word "need" is meaningless to me...I NEED to learn those things in order to do what? In order to perform a particular art correctly? But don't body mechanics differ from art to art somewhat?

If it were the case you would see everyone peforming perfectly and have no need for coaches, teachers, etc...
    I don't think anyone performs perfectly, even those that do train with coaches and teachers...

I am not saying that the things you mentioned aren't important, I just disagree with you that someone cannot become a capable martial artist by being self-trained...I disagreed with what I perceived to be the message of your first post in the thread that inic was definitely doing more harm than good by "mostly practic(ing) boxing, kicking and lots of swordsmanships...

And before we say someone is doing some "wrong" or "doing injustice" we have to look at their goals...their way of doing things may not be a good way to achieve my goals but it may suite their own goals just fine...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

body mechanics and life

Akhilleous( no offense but could I know your real name, these screen names are just freaking silly),

Most people who train will train with good posture and performance and then when they are finished they hunch over or even walk incorrectly out the door after training is over as most people have set patterns to functioning on certain levels. I see this all too often as I teach people at a local gym as well as teach privately.

Inic is setting patterns that could be good or could be totally against what proper body mechanics should be performed. We all self-train if we are dedicated to what we study. I poo poo anyone who picks up a book or video and then starts to "learn" as being a road to incorrect practice without some guidance. Way too many fools out there who think books will teach you something secret that will help your skills. You need to take your material and work the hell out of it and ingrain it in your head.

I also argued the fact the SCA is nothing about combat. Friendly people out to "fantasize" about being a knight or a damsel or what have you. It has NOTHING to do with the martial arts. Do not get me wrong there are some people out there who practice euro style arts, and they are not the SCA. Inic could be gaining some great things out there with his swordmanship. Combat skills are NOT one of them.

Proper body mechanics are the end all be all of ALL arts. Without learning how your body moves without hurting it and damaging it is something lost on most. People have crazy notions that certain moves and movements and exercises are good for them when they are actually very bad for you. the opposite is also true, many things that people have been told are bad are actually kinesestically correct. Im lucky in that for nursing school I have had to take a lot of body science classes. They have helped me gain in a better understanding of how to move and train. Pick up a decent kinesology book and you could double your skills when you add it to your training.

Ark, by your comment that you lack the need for it suggests you do not desire to have good health, longevity and fighting ability. Proper body mechanics is the road that leads to those areas.

I should have written more when I responded to Inics posting.

The word "perfectly" was a misnomer. I should have said correctly. Which in my mind is a constant search for perfection which may never happen but the constant awareness to create it is.

If you cannot learn to maxmize your movement then your not learning to properly apply it. Hence all the dancing around or moving around will mean nothing when you have to use it. I do not train to be a pretty dancer or to obtain trophies, as those things mean nothing in the martial arts world no matter what your goals happen to be. Training is twofold, health and self-defence. Anything else you gleam from that is secondary. Most people's goals lack the training to make them real. These are not hobbies to pick up. For most of us they become a lifestlye.

Hope this helps to clarify my position.

Enjoy your weekend.

Dale

P.S. Where you from? The fantasia location speaks volumes....

OK we just have different ideas/philosophies regarding martial arts...

"I should have said correctly. Which in my mind is a constant search for perfection which may never happen but the constant awareness to create it is."

I'm glad you clarified that statement with the "in your mind" part...you have your idea of what good martial arts is, which is fine, but that may not be the same idea that another person has...

"Akhilleous( no offense but could I know your real name, these screen names are just freaking silly),"

"P.S. Where you from? The fantasia location speaks volumes...."

I really can't think of any good reasons why you would want that info or why I should give it out on a public forum...I'm not the only person living here and I wouldn't want to put myself or my family at risk...I will only say this that I am from the same town as a woman that met a man on the internet then later was killed by him after driving several hours to meet him in hopes of a romantic relationship...in other words, I know better than to disclose personal info over the 'net to someone I know nothing about...

Enjoy your weekend
    Thanks...you do the same...I'm going to a fight...one of my guys is trying to get his regional muay thai title back...

no name gives you no creedance if any

Well not wanting to give out your address out is one thing. I have no problem with giving out my own. You can come over anytime you wish. Though I do not think you will like the outcome of unannounced nocturnal visits. You make valid points with not wanting harm to come to yourself or others where you abide.

Though not wanting to give your name out (when asked) is suspicious to some and tantanmount to cowardice by others. Especially with all the mouth boxing that goes on in these forums.

Funny that you mention the lady who was killed. She should have trained to protect herself knowing that freaks exist in this plane of existence. Way too many people on the planet are of the fuzzy bunny mentality thinking everything is great and others have your best intentions in mind. Too much of a Realist to believe that. Reality blows most of the time and you have to be prepared for anything.

Using that example to back up your wanting to remain in the shadows is rather lame unless your talking about online dating. No correlation.

I, among others, like to post with real names and locations as it gives a realism that screen names and fake locations seems to shy away from. Again the hint of wanting to hide behind something rather than face reality peeks its head up.

Funny you jump into a thread about Boston training though you will not say where you live or who you are. Not only that you get all over my case about self-training having merit and then say your student is going to be fighting a muay thai title fight. I thought self-training is good. Why not let your students self- learn then you can stop being a kung fu instructor and get a better paying job. I have met very few teachers who can eke out a living with the arts.

Dale Dugas