Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boston Area?

Holy sheet, you need a ladder to get on that horse there Mister Dugas?!

To others, not giving out your name and address on a public forum is neither suspicious, nor cowardly, just a personal choice for any number of reasons.

I would even venture to say that most people restrict addresses and personal details to PMs round here.

And discussion is just that, not necessarily 'getting all over my case'.

LOL at the reference to Akhilleus not liking the outcome of unnannounced nocturnal visits... what the hell makes you think the thought even crossed his mind? What weird 'reality' are you living in?

Cool!

I've got a name and address!

Who wants to sign up to Lexis-Nexis with me, grab a couple of other easily obtainable public domain pieces of info since we have a full name and address and get a free credit card?!

And THAT'S why people don't give those out online....

For the record, Akhilleus is no paper tiger. He's had the guts to step in the ring and I thought showed some pretty good skills in his MT fight.

As for who I am, it's fairly well known here - James Valentine.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster

Who wants to sign up to Lexis-Nexis with me, grab a couple of other easily obtainable public domain pieces of info since we have a full name and address and get a free credit card?!

And THAT'S why people don't give those out online....
    Exactly.

my .02 on the off-topic, is that I personally have never met anyone who was 'self-trained' who i would consider a skilled and competent martial artist. that said, to each their own, whatever floats your boat. as was mentioned, depends on goals.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel
    shocking.................

Always have been a kung fu guy, always will be.

Not only that you get all over my case about self-training having merit
    I don't think I jumped all over your case...I simply strongly disagreed with a statement you made and tried to discuss it...unfortunately, what could have been a fruitful discussion on self-training vs. training with a teacher turned to questions about my courage, or lack thereof, which as far as I know has nothing to do with the point being argued...

Using that example to back up your wanting to remain in the shadows is rather lame unless your talking about online dating. No correlation.
    First of all, I don't believe in "using" someone's death for anything...secondly, its not that I heard about it and said, "Wow I can use this to justify remaining anonymous online!" rather I read it and thought "Wow I have to be careful online". The correlation would be meeting someone you don't know IRL that you met online...

Anyway, we could argue for pages about the original topic or internet safety, but you clearly don't like my attitude, and I can't say I care very much for yours...so I say to you now, Good day sir!

my .02 on the off-topic, is that I personally have never met anyone who was 'self-trained' who i would consider a skilled and competent martial artist. that said, to each their own, whatever floats your boat. as was mentioned, depends on goals
    Yeah I agree w/ that...when I said there are great fighters that have learned from videos I was actually referring to guys that studied from a live teacher for a while then picked up some new stuff/drills from videos...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Mat,

No ladder needed as there is no horse. Your other comments are ill founded and can bring into question where your reality sets up shop versus my own. If you think that nocturnal visits from strangers means something anything other than you would deal with them in a very concise martial manner, you are way off base. Way off.

I responded to what he wrote about self-training which in my mind is rather two-faced when he supposedly(as I have never met him) teaches the arts for a living. We disagree on many points. Cool, hate to have all Yes Yes Yes people around.

I asked his name and got some lame(in my mind) excuse that because some lady got killed that he should not give that info out. Again he can do whatever it is he wants to.

But his use of that particular example chosen made me wonder as I dare say it would make other people wonder about why he said that. As it has NO connection to what was being talked about nor did it have any real association with us here other than the use of the internet.

Brains are great when they work, aren't they?

No names makes you no one in my opinion and others I know. Fear to name yourself makes me wonder about many things. But who really cares?

I have no idea who Ark is and will not unless he desires to tell me. Again who cares. I was responding to Ark

James(Merrypranckster) gave me his name and I did not even ask him. And you obviously know him if you step up to the plate for him(again an assumption on my part that you know him). I never said he was a paper tiger. I commented on his lack of naming himself when asked.

Is there something wrong with giving your name out. No names pretty much means you do not exist. Hence the giving of names to people. Think about it.

I have your name Mat (an assumption as you never told me that is your name), and James and that is great as I now know how you are called.

Thanks for the info on id theft.

Still doesnt really answer the questions I asked. But thats ok as I didn't ask either of you.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas

Anyway.

Training without a teacher is one way to go. I don't really see too many benefits... I'm sure you can become a good fighter that way too, but it seems rather like reinventing the wheel.

If Inic means he has been to a couple of teachers or has competent senior training partners to teach him a couple of simple moves, then maybe that can work if he can then put them into a drill framework and work up to using them in sparring.

Otherwise, if you just learn a couple of things and then spar, chances are you're going to get your ass kicked the first time you fight anyone with the same experience in a formal art (assuming of course that the formal art also teaches a considerable amount of drills and sparring, not just forms). You're going to need someone to watch you and check out that you're not just losing it and backyard brawling when you spar.

A video can be useful, but I've never seen an instructional video that's told me everything I needed to know without having had any prior knowledge, and I've never seen a video that has given as much help as working through some things with a teacher and a partner for the equivalent time.

With a good bag, and some competent, trained partners he should do well enough.

One more thing. I can well understand Inic's allergy to forms and very often I take bits out of the forms - simple moves and combinations - and train them separately; alone, on bags and on people... but then I can understand Dale's point about forms too, and I trained, and was taught and corrected privately and in group lessons forms and the individual moves and combos from them for literally years. From the start I felt happy about trying them ont he bags and on people, but only because I knew that my teacher would pick me up on any mistakes when I got back to class.

However, Dale, I wouldn't say a form ingrains things into your reflexive actions. It trains your muscle memory sure, but until you then work the same move ina live rhythm with a resisting partner, it doesn't become a reflex, just an empty action. I can train my straight punch all I like in a form and still fold without getting one out under pressure, or knock myself backwards as soon as I make contact with something.

So in the same way as it is useful for Inic to have competent training partners to help him from his videos, it's important for people practising forms to have the same.

Mat Hill (no-one), Nerima-ku, Tokyo.

most people who use their real names on this board are trying to sell something. Why else would they use their real name?
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Open mouth and insert whole body...

Ark- I apologize for seemingly flying to an extreme. Being what you posted recently I can see where that point would lend a hella of a lot more creedence to what you posted before. But not reading that until now only pushed the assumption on my part that training by oneself has merit. Self training does have it merits but like you mentioned you need to have a bit of a base to then move from.

many examples in Hsing Yi and Bagua circles of the master coming into town or the student making his way to the masters house learning for a period of time and then going home and working on the material like a madman.

mat- i wasnt talking about forms training as being solo, forms training includes two man or multi man breakdown as well as seeing what the stuff looks like when people are coming at you. Solo form training to me is more like frame/structure reinforcement training to set up the frame of your body to the moves you are learning. then you take this and apply it with people coming at you with different attacks and see how the material lends itself to different situations. Engram and muscle memory are synonyms in my book.

jun erh- I use my name as well as others. Im no Gene Ching...LOL no selling here. Just not into the hiding my identity thing.

Sorry I disagree with you guys about internet safety. Not an issue with me as common sense was something the creator and my parents instilled in me.

I apologize to Ark. He has prescence if not a name.

Dale
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    mat- i wasnt talking about forms training as being solo, forms training includes two man or multi man breakdown
    Ah, OK, my bad, I was assuming just solo for some reason.

As for the two-man stuff I just tend to prefer two-man sparring or sticky hand based drills than set forms, but that's just me.

... common sense was something the creator and my parents instilled in me.
    Are you sure?! I'd still take off your address if I were you... Plus, what benefits does it have? Has anyone nice visited you because you have your address on this forum... even written a letter to you?

Still, it's your call.

Cheers for the discussion.

I apologize to Ark.
    No worries, friend; I know how easy it is to misunderstand eachother on these internet forums. Still, I am glad that now I have the opportunity to clarify a few things...anyway here is how I feel about some of the main points that were brought up...

-Videos/books are a very poor substitute for an actual living breathing teacher

-People just starting out can learn and make some limited progress by being self-trained, but they will almost certainly develop habits that are counterproductive and not reach their goals without a real teacher

-Training on your own allows you to figure things out for yourself which can help you grow as a martial artist and person

-Regarding Internet security, I would rather be safe than sorry; if someone knows who I am and where I am located, then decides to hurt me IRL, chances are they will succeed...I probably won't know what they look like or even that they are after me...they can find pictures of me over the 'net so they know what I look like...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jun_erh
    my old teacher paul rosado at Chinese Kickboxing (.com)
    I was just down at Paul's new school in Roslindale (part of Boston) this past weekend, real nice place, great program, would highly recommend checking it out.

There are plenty of good schools in and around Boston:

Boston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Watertown)

Yang's Martial Arts - Yang Jwing Ming teaching Longfist, White Crane, Tai chi (Boston)

Boston San Shou/SanDa (Boston)

Wah Lum Tam Tui Northern Praying Mantis - from Chan Poi (Boston)

Sityodtong Muay Thai - best camp in all Thailand; also teach JKD, Grappling, MMA (Somerville)

Joe Maffei's JKD - Integrated Martial Development- Maffei has extensive knowledge and experience (Waltham)

New England Aikikai - School of the late Mistunari Kanai 8th dan in Aikido and former live-in student of Ueshiba - (Cambridge)

Jae Hun Kim Tae Kwon Do - They actually fight real hard - (Boston & Cambridge)

Tohuko Judo Club - Great judo club; Olympian Jimmy Pedro often stops by- (Somerville)

Bay Union Wrestling Club - folkystle and freestyle wrestling- (Boston)

Bobby Giordono JKD - Muay Thai and stick oriented - (belmont)

--------------

That's just a small taste of the better schools. I've trained at most of the combat arts schools like Boston BJJ, Tohuko, Maff's JKD, Bay Union, Sityodtong... some extensively and some just to fill in a gap or get some hard sparring in. All the locations I named are either in Boston or under 10 miles from city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
    There are plenty of good schools in and around Boston:

Boston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Watertown)

Yang's Martial Arts - Yang Jwing Ming teaching Longfist, White Crane, Tai chi (Boston)

Boston San Shou/SanDa (Boston)

Wah Lum Tam Tui Northern Praying Mantis - from Chan Poi (Boston)

Sityodtong Muay Thai - best camp in all Thailand; also teach JKD, Grappling, MMA (Somerville)

Joe Maffei's JKD - Integrated Martial Development- Maffei has extensive knowledge and experience (Waltham)

New England Aikikai - School of the late Mistunari Kanai 8th dan in Aikido and former live-in student of Ueshiba - (Cambridge)

Jae Hun Kim Tae Kwon Do - They actually fight real hard - (Boston & Cambridge)

Tohuko Judo Club - Great judo club; Olympian Jimmy Pedro often stops by- (Somerville)

Bay Union Wrestling Club - folkystle and freestyle wrestling- (Boston)

Bobby Giordono JKD - Muay Thai and stick oriented - (belmont)

--------------

That's just a small taste of the better schools. I've trained at most of the combat arts schools like Boston BJJ, Tohuko, Maff's JKD, Bay Union, Sityodtong... some extensively and some just to fill in a gap or get some hard sparring in. All the locations I named are either in Boston or under 10 miles from city limits.

Thank's for all the info Ford!

Thanks to everyone else for their assistance also

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)