Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanda in southern california?

Sanda in southern california?

Hi, I just started an account here. I've been looking for places to train in Sanda in the southern california area. I'm having trouble searching on the web, since the only places I can find on the web are in other areas of the country.

If not Sanda, then I'd also be interested in something with similar rules (ie, both striking and takedowns are allowed). I've been told that there's a similar format called "shootboxing," but that seems to only exist in Japan.

I also am not really sure what the difference is between "sanda" and "sanshou," so if there's a sanshou gym somewhere in Southern California I'd be interested in that too. Basically, I'm looking for anyplace that trains striking and takedowns together.

What part of southern california are you in?
    LA or Orange County
    Bryan Davis

If you're looking in the LA area, you might be SOL. I looked around pretty diligently awhile back and didn't find a single gym that seriously trains fighters for Sanda in this area. I talked to a few kung fu teachers who claimed to have had students enter some Sanda tourneys, but none of these schools had anything resembling serious Sanda training. You gotta remember that just because a teacher occasionally throws his kung fu students into the ring (or lei tai) so that they can, in all likelihood, get abused by trained fighters doesn't make him a Sanda trainer. I think there may have been one school on the westside that offered kung fu, san shou, and muay thai lessons but they didn't seem to have any fighters over there. Still if you're really looking for Sanda technique, I suppose they'd be better than nothing. Too bad I don't remember the school name or exact location (sorry ).

Bottomline is that LA isn't really a hotbed of Sanda gyms. But before you get too discouraged keep in mind that there's plenty of MMA here

I live in San Diego actually. Right now I train at City Boxing, which is a gym here. Sanda just caught my eye, mostly because I saw some Cung Le clips. It seems to make a lot of sense to me to train striking and takedowns together.

Unfortunately, I got the same impression from looking on the web, it seems that there's sanda in Boston and in the bay area, and not much else. Strangely enough, searching on the web I found a lot of info about sanda instructors in India and Pakistan of all places. Is there a big Sanda circuit over there or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Yougottawanna
    Unfortunately, I got the same impression from looking on the web, it seems that there's sanda in Boston and in the bay area, and not much else. Strangely enough, searching on the web I found a lot of info about sanda instructors in India and Pakistan of all places. Is there a big Sanda circuit over there or something?
    For years sanshou/sanda was known here as 'Eastern Block Kickboxing' and was closed off from the western world for many decades until the late 80s-early 90s. It evolved as a form of modern kungfu training in China and was developed in competition with the Soviets and mostly communist countries and their allies, such as Iran and Egypt (who have good teams), but not much was known about it in the west. For this reason, these countries have well established and talented national sanshou/sanda teams. Not sure about it being well established in India (if i heard their sanshou team sux), but this is why you find it to be generally more popular in that part of the world. To generalize, China and Russia have excellent teams. The U.S. has some great fighters, there are some good teams in Europe. Brazil has a good team. Ex-Soviet republics (you know, all the 'stans', Azurbijan, etc) have some nasty sanshou teams, too. Someone like lkfmdc (New York school) could could better explain details about history and such.
    Last edited by MutantWarrior; 05-18-2005 at 10:33 PM.

Dragonzrage there is one teacher in LA that is training a few people. His name is Jason Yee and he is about as good a Sanda Teacher as you could possibly find in the US. PM me if you want more info.
    "Information is power"

www.Boston-Kickboxing.com

<ThreadHijack>
    For all of you who have more than two choices of good places to train, you all suck!
    </ThreadHijack>
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    <ThreadHijack>
    For all of you who have more than two choices of good places to train, you all suck!
    </ThreadHijack>
    AND can't figure out which one(s) to train at... *******s...

is it safe and too late for a person over 30 years old to learn SanDa?
    HR

Quote Originally Posted by HanRen
    is it safe and too late for a person over 30 years old to learn SanDa?
    I would think so... I'm 32 and I JUST got started into Muai Thai. I also help my nephews w/their highschool wrestling (throws and what not). It's less about your age and more about your physical condition, drive and amount of time you're willing to put into it.

Jason Yee? You act like he won a medal in a world championship, established the first San Da training program in the country and trained a pile of champions! Who'd want to study with that guy!

Duh, forgot Jay is in LA now.... dude, go there, NOW, run, don't walk.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thanks for the responses. I didn't know Sanda was that widespread in Russia and former soviet countries.

I googled Jason Yee's name and couldn't find any current information about where he is or where you can train with him....does anyone know?

a start

practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Jason is in Caan right now marketing his movie. I will get more info about where he is teaching when he gets back.
    "Information is power"

www.Boston-Kickboxing.com

Did jason yee get plastic surgery to look more "bruce like" . His chin is different. I remember him looking way different back in '96 when he demoed at the lee koon hung against Cung le.