Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spinning backfist.

lol ... that aint even right dude.

i mean im laughing and all, but still.
    where's my beer?

I didn't read the thread. Sorry if this has been answered already.

I agree that hitting someone's skull with the back of your hand would hurt, but could you tilt your hand to the side so that it became more of a "spinning-horizontal-hammerfist" and hit them with the bottom part of your hand? That's much more padded.

edit - n/m SevenStar just mentioned that on the top of the 2nd page. If SevenStar endorses it it's ok by me.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    ha ... how did that real fight end?
    the mma one... the guy who did backfist knocked the other guy out
    the street fight... the dude who did the backfist (my neighbour) won, the other kid got tired of being ***** slapped in general terms. i watched this one from my backyard.
    Resistance is futile, teh Clerus is done. He awaits for the end aknowledging its presence everyday. When it comes he hopes to feel like being in the womb again.
    I am not here at the forum therefore, got nothing more to say and cannot save anyone (me included).
    I know i can resist for a good while, uknown is the value of while. Impermanence might be the only truth to life.
    Bye, peeps

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    With Xebs still not gettin any.
    yeah dude but you see, back when i saw that fight of my neighbour vs other dude i was a young kid. i was so young and i didnt even know my peepee was small. or i thought all peepees were standardly small. or maybe they really were at that time and age. i had no idea id turn out to be what i am today.
    all i remember is disliking having to stop playing to go to the church on sunday... my mom mades us go...
    i remember usually me and bro fought when we came back from church, i dunno why, maybe cos it was fun.
    i remember what i liked about going to church is sometimes we would go to the bakery store when coming back and my dad would buy some really good goodies food you know.
    i remember i wanted to have a dog but the doctors said i couldnt cos i had ahsmatic bronquitis.
    i remember a lot of times i thought the other kids were dumb cos they would run around like retards and fall all the time, i would just sit and wonder wtf was wrong with them.
    i remember i didnt want or care about losing or gaining weight back then.
    i remember i thought some kids were mean, and they really were, but they always got away with it one way or another.
    i remember i wasnt one of the mean kids.
    i remember i knew a curse or two, and the first time i said, my mom hit me. the other times she didnt hit me no more heheh
    Last edited by BibitClerus; 05-23-2005 at 07:42 PM.
    Resistance is futile, teh Clerus is done. He awaits for the end aknowledging its presence everyday. When it comes he hopes to feel like being in the womb again.
    I am not here at the forum therefore, got nothing more to say and cannot save anyone (me included).
    I know i can resist for a good while, uknown is the value of while. Impermanence might be the only truth to life.
    Bye, peeps

Hey guys if anyone noticed the fact that I said:

"I have a book that covers the backfist and which part of the hand to strike with...I will try to find it tonight then post what it says..."
    on the first page of this thread I am sorry but I don't seem to be able to find the pages I was referencing...I'm thinking it was either a book someone lent me or in a magazine...or maybe it was in the Tao of JKD which is pretty long so it would be be kind of hard for me to find...however, I think I remember it anyway and what is interesting is it didn't reccomend using the "hammer fist"/bottom of the fist for a backfist, it advised turning the hand the other way and hitting with the top of the fist...personally I'm not sure if this is a good idea 'cause you do have that one bone that sticks out where your thumb attaches to your hand...but I'm pretty sure that that is what it said...dag I wish I could remember where I read that...

I did find some info on backfists and the spinning backfist in particular:

In Jane Hallander and Doc-Fai Wong's "Shaolin Five Animals Kung Fu" the description of the dragon style states that: "Wu long bai wei (dragon swings his tail) is similar to a spinning backfist. The dragon practitioner uses his waist with a whiplike action to obtain power." I'll try to find some photos of this technique in the book when I have a chance to try to provide a better description of how it is done...

From Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Basic Training - The backfist (NOTE: not a spinning backfist) punch is not the quickest nor is it too strong because you are unable to utilize the total body movement. But it is one blow in which you can fully apply the whipping or snapping motion...It is thrown more like a swing than a forward thrust...you can put more momentum into the delivery...there is more elasticity...in your wrist...bending it from side to side (rather) than up and down...that means that you are able to whip or snap it more vigorously...although some power is lost in this punch, it is compensated for or redeemed when combined with lop sao (grabbing the hand technique)...

anyway I didn't find exactly what I was looking for but I found some very interested books that I had forgotten about...I'm going to read them and then probably start a new thread regarding some of the "new" ideas I've rediscovered...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland