Thread: Recipes

Recipes

Hey guys,
    Now don't dismiss this thread right away.
    On another thread, there was mention of power foods and here are the foods posted :

Beans
    Blueberris
    Broccolli
    Oats
    Oranges
    Pumpkin
    Salmon
    Soy
    Spinach (one of my new found favorites)
    Tea-Green or Black
    Tomatoes
    Turkey
    Walnuts
    Yogurt

I make a smoothie that's pretty good and find it gives me a little boost of energy. The funny thing is I use 3 of those foods in that list:

1 cup frozen mixed berries (bluberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries)
    125 ml of plain yogurt
    175 ml of plain rolled oats (I buy those instant packs where you add water and nuke it for like 2 minutes)
    3/4 cup skim milk

If you want it right away, add some ice and blend it.
    This makes 2 healthy servings, I'll have one serving before work and one when I get home from work. It's great when you're hungry and don't want to eat something bad. Also, if you want to add protein powder to it then that's up to you.

Anyways, the reason why I posted this is because I was wondering if there are things that you guys eat to help you recover from a workout or give you some energy to help you get through a workout.
    Or if you guys have any healthy snacks that get you through the day.

Very curious.

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

I forgot to mention that you can add some ground flax seeds for your omega fatty acids

J

One recovery drink I used to use was a packet of carnation instant breakfast and 1 teaspoon of peanut butter. I seemed to work pretty well for me.

Great thread btw.

Power Foods

The time before last that I donated blood, the nurse/techo who analysed my blood said my haemoglobin levels were quite low, almost to the level that my blood was unfit to donate. I had been feeling a bit crap as well, and my cardio was rather down compared to its usual level. "That sounds about right," she said.

"What should I do?" I asked.

"EAT MORE RED MEAT."

I did, things got better.

I get my greens, yellows and oranges as well, and I LOVE fruit smoothies, but don't eschew the fundamentals for the exotic.
    I forgot to mention that you can add some ground flax seeds for your omega fatty acids
    Or eat more oily fish. Yes, you did mention salmon.
    Last edited by anerlich; 05-21-2005 at 12:33 AM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Thanks Whitefox.

anerlich,
    You know, I really don't eat any red meat. But now that it's summer, I'm thinking that may change with BBQ season and all.
    Thanks,

J

I love smoothies as well but what is also good is getting a juicer and jucing different fruits and vegtables. It is a great way to condense the nutrition of lets say 5 apples in 4 or 5 ounces of pure juice. You can make cool concoctions using anything that will juice. The only problem ive found with a juicer is the mess that it leaves. I broke the one i had and havent gotten another.
    Does anyone else use or recommend a good juicer that doesn't leave a big mess?

Another question:
    Do any of you try to eat healty and do for some days, then benge out on junk food? What do you do to try to curve the cravings?

A nutritionist had told me that people should really limit the amout of red meat you eat. It is slow and hard to digest especially when you eat red meat alot.
    The suggestion is to try to limit red meat to once or twice a week max. Try to eat at least one fruit or veg. with each meal. Eating green salid before you eat red meat is also very helpful because the fibers in it will help break down the red meat when digesting it. If you like meat like I do, I often try to mix it up alot during a week. Switch off between meats with the meals you do eat meat with. Turkey, fish, chicken, mutton, lamb, shell fish, ham, pork are great substitutes for red meat.

Just some thoughts....

ADD

Turkey, fish, chicken, mutton, lamb, shell fish, ham, pork are great substitutes for red meat.
    Not where haemoglobin levels are concerned with the exceptions of lamb and mutton which i always thought WERE red meats. Ham's pretty heavy on the salt and chemicals too, no?

A lot of chemicals and weird feeds go into into beef, for sure, but chicken is just as bad in that regard.

Nutritionists' opinions vary, too, you may have noticed. Some say soy is analogous to poison, for example, whereas others say it's a wonder food which will save the world .

My personal opinion is that you can damage your health just as badly by trying to be too strict and microdetailed with what you eat as you can by eating at Macca's every day. I think variety and a wide range of foods is the key, eating a reduced range of foods or avoiding too many things IMO is a recipe for trouble.

Do any of you try to eat healty and do for some days, then benge out on junk food?
    Yes. Though not to a huge extent.

What do you do to try to curve the cravings?
    I don't try to *curb* the cravings. I just try to get by with a reasonably small amount of the chocolate, chips, whatever, rather than making a total pig of myself. I'd rather do this that mentally flagellate myself over falling short of some expectation that means little in the larger scheme anyway. If eating becomes a chore or obsession (too much, not enough, too weird) then IMO you are trying way too hard.

Humans have only had the luxury of obsessing over diet very recently in human history. And even today the vast bulk of humanity don't have the choices we do. (Cue Devo's "Freedom of Choice" here).
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    Not where haemoglobin levels are concerned with the exceptions of lamb and mutton which i always thought WERE red meats. Ham's pretty heavy on the salt and chemicals too, no?

True, my point which I didn't specify enough is to not always eat just beef. The way a cow is raised compared to the way a lamb is raised is different(food content), and a lamb is typically less fatty then the cow/bull.

A lot of chemicals and weird feeds go into into beef, for sure, but chicken is just as bad in that regard.

Nutritionists' opinions vary, too, you may have noticed. Some say soy is analogous to poison, for example, whereas others say it's a wonder food which will save the world .

True.

My personal opinion is that you can damage your health just as badly by trying to be too strict and microdetailed with what you eat as you can by eating at Macca's every day. I think variety and a wide range of foods is the key, eating a reduced range of foods or avoiding too many things IMO is a recipe for trouble.

Yes. Though not to a huge extent.

I don't try to *curb* the cravings. I just try to get by with a reasonably small amount of the chocolate, chips, whatever, rather than making a total pig of myself. I'd rather do this that mentally flagellate myself over falling short of some expectation that means little in the larger scheme anyway. If eating becomes a chore or obsession (too much, not enough, too weird) then IMO you are trying way too hard.

"Mentally flagellate myself" LOL I need to add that one to my vocabulary.

Humans have only had the luxury of obsessing over diet very recently in human history. And even today the vast bulk of humanity don't have the choices we do. (Cue Devo's "Freedom of Choice" here).

Trust me, I dont obsese over any diet either. I dont even like the word diet because it refers to a temporary eating habit. I love to eat but if I just cut some corners here and there and eat more vegitables than I would normally like than that is good enough for me.
    If you havent allready, try Thai food. Spicy, lots of vegitables, and very good for you.

If you havent allready, try Thai food. Spicy, lots of vegitables, and very good for you.
    You know, we have quite a multicultural society in Australia, and we are closer to Asia than the US is. There's a Thai restaurant within walking distance of my house.