Thread: Training a Champ

Training a Champ

It's not Wing Chun but has good ideas:

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/blackburn.html

Read the above for the complete article!

Blackburn came into Louis camp on June 25, 1934 and watched Joe spar. He saw that Louis had natural punching power, something that could not be taught, but he also saw that he was only a puncher at that time and still fairly green. Blackburn speaking of those early days with his young protégé said, July 20, 1935 Pittsburgh Courier, “Louis needed correction in everything except hitting. I had to teach him to back up his punches with the proper timing, accuracy and to instruct him in the proper art of balance. I trained him under the same methods I trained under when I was a fighter.”

Joe had natural speed and power but coming out of the amateurs he was dancing around and not planting his feet to punch with authority. Louis said in his autobiography Joe Louis My Life, “He (Blackburn) saw my faults right off. I was hitting off balance. He corrected this by showing me how to plant my feet and punch with my whole body, not just swinging my arms. He said people going to fights don’t want to see a dancer or a clincher –they want to see a man who goes for the guts. He said I had strength and that I could beat or knock out anybody I wanted to if I planted my body in the right position.”

The first week in training Blackburn did nothing but hold the heavy bag and give Louis instructions on how to throw his punches. Working for the first time in the ring with Joe, Blackburn’s early lessons were on how to block punches, how to block a left hook, how to block a jab, and how to forearm and elbow block body punches. As Louis began to progress he began to instruct Joe on how to place his punches to vital points and to set up his opponent’s by drawing and feinting, parrying and countering.

Blackburn put Louis threw the paces, teaching him what he needed to become a great fighter. Blackburn instructed Louis in the art of punching accurately telling him “One clean punch is better than a hundred punches.” He also told him “Negro fighters don’t go to town winning decisions. When you get into the ring, let your fists be the referee. Bide your time. Place your punches and knock your opponent out.” Blackburn taught Louis the art of finishing off an opponent. “Don’t get impatient. Take your time, but move right in. Don’t throw your punches wild, shoot ‘em in straight. Don’t give him a chance to come back.”

Knowing that Louis was a sure knock out puncher Blackburn decided to give Joe a vivid lesson in what it meant to be a heavy hitter. Waiting in the gym one day Blackburn attacked the unsuspecting Louis with a brick that he held in his fist and took a swing at Louis. Joe ducked and Blackburn slapped him with a counterpunch. “See what I’m trying to teach you? Pretend you got bricks in your fists, your opponent is going to duck and then you hit him with the other hand.” Jack Blackburn worked hard on teaching Louis how to put his punches together, “Hitting in boxing, like hitting in baseball, is got to be done in combinations to be effective.”

Joe Louis absorbed these lessons well becoming one of the finest combination punchers in boxing history. He was also perhaps the ring’s deadliest finisher. Writing in 50 Years at Ringside Ring magazine founder Nat Fleischer said that Louis was history’s deadliest fighter at finishing an opponent once they were hurt.

Louis was learning how to use distance and timing to become a great counter puncher. Blackburn was teaching him how to draw his opponents into him. If they stepped back, or ran, he learned how to use his footwork to step towards an opponent to cut them off and then deceptively step back to draw his opponent's toward him making him appear vulnerable. It was then that Louis exploded with devastating counters that would land with double impact as his opponents moved in. In his eight pro fight with Art Sykes the Oct 25, 1934 Chicago Tribune reported, "Joe stepped back for an instant, got the range and shot a right cross to the jaw. Sykes fell on his back, his head hitting the platform outside the ropes. He took referee Davey Miller's count without stirring, and it was several minutes before he was able to leave the ring."

Ray
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

Nice.

Interesting paragraph about him not rooting to throw the punch and dancing round too much. Often when chunners talk about fighting/sparring boxers (like many of them actually have! ), they are always saying bs like nailing the boxer while he's 'dancing around' like dancing around is somehow a main overriding strategy.

In the same way it seems to me (and this from my wingchun, boxing and MMA training) many seemingly advanced chunners are overcritical about people bobbing up and down, and ducking and weaving, just as they are overpicky about static rooting. To me it doesn't matter what the hell you want to do before you make contact (assuming your cardio can take it! ). If you wanna do ballet or swing from a low-hanging branch that's fine as long as you can make the transition to the root on the split second of the punch going in/the tan, bong, fuk going out...

Of course I'm exaggerating, as a fast opponent will nail you while you're floating or dancing if you're not careful... but you get the picture.

The stance in SLT is of course very important, but as soon as the student has that stance's basics down, it should become a dynamic living stance, and equally applicable to being integrated into fast live footwork.

As ever YMMV.

That's a great article, Ray. So many things I need to focus on in my own training....... -Thanks for sharing it.

BTW, nice to see you on here again.
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

I was busy with science fair activity the past few months. It looks like the same debates are still raging.

I think boxing provides a good model for those aspiring to be top notch fighters. Those guys are in it for the millions so they wouldn't leave a training stone unturned. I think any MMA event will always be pale for the public in comparison with the top boxing events. If I thought I could be a top fighter I would go into boxing where the money is. If I was even smarter then I would go into promotion where even more money is.

Sometimes I think the theoretical Wing Chun people are like the mathematicians who think up all the math and the practical fighters are like the stock market analysts who try to apply the math to make their fortune in the stock market. One group is not inferior to the other depending on what criteria you use for comparison. If it's who can eat the most hamburgers in one sitting then you can just determine who is best by having a contest.

Ray

Great article about Joe Louis, Ray...thanks for sharing.

Mat:

Good points about footwork. Elusiveness, broken rhythm, explosiveness...to get to the close limb-to-limb contact range position (along with some boxing and longer range kicking)...this is the way to set up the wing chun "tan, bong, fuk" game, imo. Being rooted as or slightly before you strike first requires GETTING CLOSE and GETTING PAST his defenses and his possible elusiveness.

good article!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sometimes I think the theoretical Wing Chun people are like the mathematicians who think up all the math and the practical fighters are like the stock market analysts who try to apply the math to make their fortune in the stock market.
    I dunno, I implemented some software for the dealing room for a large bank here. Suffice to say I was not surrounded by intellectual brilliance. The standing comment about "analysts", made also by ex-analysts, was that all you needed was someone who could tell that 5 was bigger than 4.

I liked the article a lot. I also have to laugh at people who think some guy who trained with a single master in a cave in China somehow knows more about human performance than do coaches for modern professional sportspeople and Olympians.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

What I wanted to say before but didn't have time (haven't really now either) was that the bit about (and not just in the article, but the way boxers train this in general) combos is worth remembering and implementing for WCers.

Too many people rely on one-step drills, where some guy steps in and gives one shot and you do your pak da and stop, or your pak da - chainpunch, instead of working live combinations using a number of different strikes, and for example off one-twos where you only know the first strike if that...

sorry for the rushed typing... get what I'm trying to say?

Hi Mat,

I find this is all too common in training places and in lots of videos too. The attacker comes in with a punch and then stands there frozen in that punch position while the defender does all kinds of stuff. Kenpo people are great at this as are people in Aikido and of course Wing Chun people also do this a lot. For absolute beginners it might be OK but after that a more realistic approach based on punches thrown in boxing combination style, coming in from all kinds of angles is better.

Ray