Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall Bag

"Actualy your english has been excelent as far as I have noticed!"

...Merçi beaucoups!...But you should hear the accent!!!

Thumbs up

Gnugear - mayeb we got our info from the same source?

Old Jong - not to worry its not so thick from here!

hehehe

LOL@ "Wallah"

See the look on ken Chung's face when he found out you know who was a grandstudent!!!.....J/K you know who!!!

Just click the link below and "Wallah" lol lol lol

http://www.wingchun.com/img/camp98_9.jpg

I agree with whoever said to use mung beans.
    Last edited by sunkuen; 07-03-2002 at 10:35 AM.

thanx for the responses guys

kung fu stuff
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less travelled
    And that has made all the difference

5. lemme guess

the guy on the right, that is julian lennon; on the left, cheech marin -- who's the guy in the middle? he's looking a little green around the gills...

Re: hehehe

Originally posted by sunkuen

See the look on Ken Chung's face when he found out you know who was a grandstudent!!!.....J/K you know who!!!
    LOL! Grandstudent.

Just click the link below and "Wallah" lol lol lol

http://www.wingchun.com/img/camp98_9.jpg

The photo of Ken with two men doing chi sao is probably of him feeling for the right degree of relaxation in the wrist of the man on the left (Yoda).

BTW, the two men in the photo have very good elbow positioning and distance by my reckoning as a student of Ken's.

I agree with whoever said to use mung beans. [/B][/QUOTE]
    I agree with Mung beans for their medicinal properties if you're just beginning, but I prefer beach sand whose particles have rounded edges to slide past other particles for a good feel.

Another variation on wall bags, is to cover it with leather and strike the leather for a more realistic feeling of punching a body.

Regards and "Wallah,"
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

hey grendel

You sure it aint a threeway!!!

Get your mind outta the gutter , I was talking about chisau!!!

Re: hey Sunkuen!

Originally posted by sunkuen
    You sure it aint a threeway!!!

Get your mind outta the gutter , I was talking about chisau!!!
    Sunkuen,

If it were a picture of Red5, his teacher, and Carl, you'd be right to ask. R5A is surely excited at the thought with only two inches between his knees.

Aren't you gettin' any these days? Chi sao, that is.
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Sand is OK as long as it doesn't get wet. Wet sand settles at the bottom of the wallbag. When the sand dries up, it hardens.
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

Wall bag

I got myself a Wall bag. Any suggestions on how much to fill it?
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will lose all that heavenly glory.

I filled mine up with rice...I am not looking to make my hands tough but im looking for power in my punches. I know that wasnt your question but whatever.

I filled mine up about half way so the bottom is filed...that the only place i hit.

Theres your answer buddy.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

I prefer a pack of mid to large size beans, and think that's an especially good idea for beginners. Beans are a softer pack than rice, and you're less likely to damage your hands if you're doing 1000s of punches a day.

Harder packs (rice, sand) may have some conditioning effect, and teach you not to let force come back into you, but if you do serious volume and hit with power, some force will go back into you and start to damage your joints over time. Hence my preference for a looser pack.

Later,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

When u punch the wall bag u get force coming back into u-how do u prevent this i.e how do u train ur punch so that that no force comes back into u?
    i find i lose my balance especially when i try to fully extend the punch -u got any tips on training against the wall bag?
    p.s i got ur email-im glad u liked the article.When puching from Iras stance with a foward step(weight on back leg) does the spine lifting motion happen just before u punch or at the same time?

regards,

Faze.

Hi Faze,

I train the wall bag a bunch of different ways (and actually don't use it that much any more).

Some range stuff- I generally hit the wallbag from a distance between my elbow just off my body and my elbow one hand's distance off my body (long ways). I'll also do rounds pressing a pad against the wall beneath the bag with my lead leg, sitting back deep to work my knee pressure.

'Not letting force come back into you' is kinda like throwing the punch and putting its force on for a very brief period- before you do that you have a stance you need to fix if you're feeling off-balance when you hit the bag. When you hit the bag, press it with the punch, slightly up while pulling your shoulder down and back- basically pushing with the elbow in two directions at once. The 'down and back' will get force into your body. Use the force that goes into your body to press you into your feet, so you feel each punch push you into the ground. Try the same thing with a friend leaning into your fists. If you friend can move away suddenly without you loosing your balance forward (a constant refinement, not falling on your face is a good first goal, but this is a constant improvement thing, always trying to get more relaxed and stable), then you're on the right track.

Once you can do the above, then start to worry about not letting force come back into you. For the moment, let the force come back, and use the bag to improve your stance.

The spine thing- I've seen several ways to do this from people I respect in a variety of phazes of motion. No matter which you do, it must to allow you to maintain a balanced line down to the ground capable of taking pressure at all times. Honestly, work on the stuff above and don't mess with the spine too much without someone who *well* knows what they're doing to show you.. I played around on my own a lot early in my training, and am just now really leaving some of those bad habits behind.

Thanks again for the article,

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you for ur reply-i have been playing around with this but i am not sure about one thing u wrote:

"When you hit the bag, press it with the punch, slightly up"

the way that i punch against a wall bag is to hit with the surface of the three fingers and loose fist and puching straight through.When i lift the punch up i find that i am scraping my fist and the pressure is on the the lower knuckle -am i doing this wrong maybe i misinterpret what u mean by "lifting the punch" can u please clarify further.

However when i do this with a palm strike i lift the strike by hitting with my heel upwards(which feels more comfortable) i do find by lifting upward my stance feels more stable!!!

Also is this the actual motion u do when u punch some one i.e punch upwards with shoulder pulled back and down-or is this a drill to improve my stance and handle force coming back to me?

I hope u dont mind me asking too many qeustions - i will ask my instructor about this as well!!!

Regards,

faze.