Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Wall Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    Wall bags are OK but you need to hit something that you can issue your force into that moves. Too much training on a wall bag can hinder your issuance of force since the bag is against a........wall.
    (waiting for the rebuttals )
    Phil
    Hey Phil....I can agree with the above to an extent. But then again to really train Wing Chun the correct way would require a nice little gym and not many of us can have the luxury of such. You know...wall bags, a muk jong, punching bags,....etc. Or am I totally wrong? Hmmm...good question...what would be everyday things that one would do to enhance the above?

DRleungjan
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

Quote Originally Posted by DRleungjan
    Hmmm...good question...what would be everyday things that one would do to enhance the above?
    DRleungjan
    Get a standard A4 piece of paper, draw a rather small black dot about the size of lets say this smily , tie a piece of string to it and attach it to your ceiling, hang it so that it is at your punching height and then start punching towards the black dot.

Whilst punching start shadow boxing with the piece of paper, this really helps to get the feet moving, it gets your techniques flowing and like I said the biggest winner is that your footwark gets throughly trained, I would do this for 20 minutes fast, medium and slow speeds.

I also recommend eye exercises for 5 minutes and the crunching up of paper. Stand there with both arms fully raised and fully extended out from your sides at shoulder height, with a sheet of newspaper in both hands between your thumb and index finger start screwing them up slowely, until they become ball like.

This is great for the forearms, fingers and triceps.

Isolate

Hey william,

This is just one action to isolate and practice one aspect of your VT punch with the wall bag....

Touch your fist to the bag and press in with the bottom two knuckles as if your punching with just the wrist, maintain contact with the bag.

Re-set your fist back square and press again. The action isolates the force from the wrist in a hinge type motion which through repeditive training will increase your inch power.

This combined with other types of punching training such as elbow strengthening and a good pivot/turn will increase the sharpness of your punch.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

First a question:

Why did you purchase a wall bag? In your mind what purpose does it serve you?

I purchased the wall bag, as my current accomodation does not permit a heavy bag or something of that size.

Mainly because I feel it is important to actually hit something. This will allow me to increase the variety of my training at home. rather than being restricted to punching the air.

W

Advice...

If you want to increase your punch but dont have the space, purchase some focus mits and rope a friend into training at home with you, you'll get better results than having a wall bag because focus mits are more versitile.

But then again if you want to train at anytime then i guess you have to make do with the wall bag.

Thats not VT

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Wall vs. heavy bag

Just make sure you have really good posture and stance when hitting the wall bag. Don't forget there's no give on it, like a heavy bag. Punch lightly, but with a tight tight fist or you'll get those red marks between your knuckles. Red between knuckles = bad punch.

Stand close.

Hit hard.

Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    Stand close.

Hit hard.

Repeat.

haha thats the ticket

Its as limited as your imagination...

Some people miss the point of an opening SLT action.

After huen sau, sau kuen the elbow comes back with the fists at nipple level to keep the chest flat - face to face -

Face away from the wall bag and bring your elbow back to hit the bag.

Repeat.

Do this every day - I pitty the fool who grabs you from behind

P.S excellent call AMP. i feel sorry for his neighbours though

Thats not VT

Wall Bag training denied

I moved into an apartment about three years ago. Since then I can not do any wall bag training. I stay on second floor. I have neighbors to left of me, right of me and below me and above me. I would love to hit the wall bag for conditioning but the vibrations would carry through the thin walls. I was woundering if you guys have a solution to problem.

To make up for my lack of wall bag practice I hit trees and sometimes I go to a friends house with a leather punching bag. But its not the same I feel. So what are some solutions to the problem. How can I get wall bag training?

What are some solutions you guys know if?

Move somewhere else.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    I moved into an apartment about three years ago. Since then I can not do any wall bag training. I stay on second floor. I have neighbors to left of me, right of me and below me and above me. I would love to hit the wall bag for conditioning but the vibrations would carry through the thin walls. I was woundering if you guys have a solution to problem.

To make up for my lack of wall bag practice I hit trees and sometimes I go to a friends house with a leather punching bag. But its not the same I feel. So what are some solutions to the problem. How can I get wall bag training?

What are some solutions you guys know if?
    have you considered free standing makiwara?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

wall bags??? hitting trees???

What attributes are you looking to develop?

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    have you considered free standing makiwara?
    Excellent idea...excuse my ignorance. But don't you need to dig a hole in the ground for the free standing ones so they don't fall or bolt them into the floot with nails...I live in a apartment....