Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Wall Bag

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    use bungee cords to attach it to a tree or pole at the park or woods. Goes up and takes down in seconds. and you're set.

Keep the bag in your car and wherever you go, you can play.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

depending on your resources you can bolt it to a base. two by fours plywood and weights will keep it in place. use a steel brace to bolt the post onto the base.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    use bungee cords to attach it to a tree or pole at the park or woods. Goes up and takes down in seconds. and you're set.

+1

I use to do that with an old belt and tree in the apartment complex I use to live in. There was a great flat area on the tree where a huge branch use to be that was just the right height.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yep- I used to take mine to the park at night and train. They had these posts, made from phone poles (or similar) about thigh height separating the parking area from the park. I would lay the bag on it and do my palm training. Then I would bungee it to a tree or pole and do my wall bag stuff. Then I would bungee it to the baseball backstop and work ping choy-it gave a bit, so I could dig into it more.
    The neighbors called the police complaining there was some guy playing basketball at 1am-they heard my palms on the bag and thought it was bouncing a ball. Had to find another park.
    You are only limited by your imagination, and will to succeed..
    Last edited by TenTigers; 06-10-2009 at 08:04 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I'd say bring some nails, a hammer, your wall bag and find a large tree in the park and set up shop there.

Rik, I'd say your bungee cord thing is something I never thought of. Great idea!

In the Yik Kam WCK I learned from Hendrik, palm striking inverted or everted corners of a wall is used in lieu of the wallbag. It is also a great method.

Nice!

yep- I used to take mine to the park at night and train. They had these posts, made from phone poles (or similar) about thigh height separating the parking area from the park. I would lay the bag on it and do my palm training. Then I would bungee it to a tree or pole and do my wall bag stuff. Then I would bungee it to the baseball backstop and work ping choy-it gave a bit, so I could dig into it more.
    The neighbors called the police complaining there was some guy playing basketball at 1am-they heard my palms on the bag and thought it was bouncing a ball. Had to find another park.
    You are only limited by your imagination, and will to succeed..
    Nah, you're also limited by neighbours, police and structural damage as noted!

Always use a tree, unless you've got a solid pole (not hollow) away from any residences.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I'd say bring some nails, a hammer, your wall bag and find a large tree in the park and set up shop there....
    Not nice! As a former part-time landscape gardener, enivironmentalist and qualified forester... do not go round randomly nailing **** onto trees!

Bungees or ropes are much better.

In the Yik Kam WCK I learned from Hendrik, palm striking inverted or everted corners of a wall is used in lieu of the wallbag. It is also a great method.
    Don't get it... what's an everted/inverted corner of a wall?!

I have used my door frame in my flat before. It's usually solid enough not to cause major vibrations and noise.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

The internal and external corners of a wall - or rather where 2 walls meet.
    Would be interested to hear what you would do.

I have used door frames too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    I moved into an apartment about three years ago. Since then I can not do any wall bag training. I stay on second floor. I have neighbors to left of me, right of me and below me and above me. I would love to hit the wall bag for conditioning but the vibrations would carry through the thin walls. I was woundering if you guys have a solution to problem.

To make up for my lack of wall bag practice I hit trees and sometimes I go to a friends house with a leather punching bag. But its not the same I feel. So what are some solutions to the problem. How can I get wall bag training?

What are some solutions you guys know if?
    Perhaps when you are in your apartment you can put the bag on a firm surface and practise your strikes horizontally. This type of training has its benefits as well. In the Siu lam lineage we hit the bags (as well as the sand bowl) in this way. It may also be easier to cushion the impact/vibrations as not to disturb the people living downstairs.

As far as makiwaras go then yes the vibrations may give your neighbours a lot of headache not to mention that some of them can be very LOUD!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 06-15-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Nice idea HW!

Hadn't thought of that and I really think the original question was someone who wanted to do some vertical training... but lateral thinking does work as well!

At least one line of Yip Man does this training too: my friend from Lo Man Kam's school showed me how to 'strike' down (well, mroe like directed falling) and schooled me in how it isn't going down but is actually using relxaed power to shoot out in application. It was very helpful and I still do that kind of training quite a lot. Never used a bag, though, just a hard picnic table!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Nice idea HW!

Hadn't thought of that and I really think the original question was someone who wanted to do some vertical training... but lateral thinking does work as well!

At least one line of Yip Man does this training too: my friend from Lo Man Kam's school showed me how to 'strike' down (well, mroe like directed falling) and schooled me in how it isn't going down but is actually using relxaed power to shoot out in application. It was very helpful and I still do that kind of training quite a lot. Never used a bag, though, just a hard picnic table!
    The way I was taught was to hit the bag consecutively using different parts of the hand and always using the same combinations, of course using relaxed dropping strikes. An example of such striking would be a palm strike followed by a back hand strike, then a back fist strike, then a hammer fist strike, then a yin fist strike, then a yang fist strike and to finish with, we sometimes use a vertical dropping elbow strike. Other combinatios are used as well and sometimes include leopard fist and Tiger Claw (which manifests itself in the latter stages of the Siu Lam lineage).

Whatever sequence one decides to use is repeated until all movements flow and it all turns into a type of forms practice. Breathing is also plays a significant role in how this exercise is carried out, as at one level this type of practice can be a chi kung exercise. Of course I also use dit dat jow when doing such exercises.

We don't hit solid objects. I am not saying that it is wrong as I have seen this type of training in other genuine martial arts. In our case hitting the sand bag or indeed the sand bowl trains one(among other things) to sink his fist/energy through this material and get good at it through regular practice.

Do you hit the sand bowl? If not then I recommend this exercise. I am about to buy and set up a sand bowl for my new apartment. We do this exercise while sitting in a traditional horse stance rather than any Wing Chun stance and as always the exercise is regarded a waste of time without the correct breathing.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 06-16-2009 at 12:17 AM.

I moved into an apartment about three years ago. Since then I can not do any wall bag training. I stay on second floor. I have neighbors to left of me, right of me and below me and above me. I would love to hit the wall bag for conditioning but the vibrations would carry through the thin walls. I was woundering if you guys have a solution to problem.

To make up for my lack of wall bag practice I hit trees and sometimes I go to a friends house with a leather punching bag. But its not the same I feel. So what are some solutions to the problem. How can I get wall bag training?

What are some solutions you guys know if?
    Does your apartment have a stairwell ??
    *hint, hint*

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Does your apartment have a stairwell ??
    *hint, hint*
    yes but its steel...ha ha...I just settle for hitting the trees late at night for right now.

Using Ankle Weights as Wall Bag

Can i use Ankle Weight as Wall Bag?

Sure, why not?

You can also take an old pair of jeans, cut the leg, sew it and fill it with beans, rice or sand (depending on your level) and use it. 1000 punches a day is a good start!

Good luck!

yes but its steel...ha ha...I just settle for hitting the trees late at night for right now.
    Hang the wall bag off the stairwell.