Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall Bag

Martial Joe Guest

Watchman

Thanks...you learne under Yip Ching rite...well my sifus name is John Kaufman..i dont know if you know him but hes good freinds with Marty Anderson..if you dont know him he was the first wite student of Tsui Sheung Tin...just seeing if you know any of some of the poeple i look up to.My sifu worked with Yip Ching alil bit so i figured you might know him.

Joe :cool:

Watchman Guest
    Actually, I don't train under Ip Ching per se. My sifu (Ron Heimberger) is a personal student of his, so that makes Ip Ching my SiGung. Ip Ching has been out to teach seminars for us (and he's coming to smack us around again in May), so that's where I've gotten my experience training with him. Just wanted to clear that up.

I'm sure Ron knows the guys you mentioned (or at least has met them). He went on a trip out to Ohio a couple of years ago to hang out with Ip Ching, Ip Chun, and Tui Shing Tin. He said Tui Shing Tin was quite the prankster and had fun playing with Ron's limited Cantonese.

"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." -- Confucious

BeiKongHui Guest
    I like the wall bags Wing Lam sells. I fill mine with mung beans but I know a couple of guys who use aquarium gravel.

Martial Joe-Good site but I think "A Lifetime" should be a choice on the mini-quiz ;)

"Gong Sao Mo Gong Ching Sao"
    - When you talk with the hands,
    best not to speak of polite hands.

Watchman Guest

Steel shavings

I knew a kid back in the day who worked for a steel fabricating outfit and filled his wall-bag with steel shavings. He'd wrap his hands and pound on the bag until his knuckles bled.

"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." -- Confucious

Martial Joe Guest
    If you dont go through years of conditioning with rice and sand cant you get arthritis from hiting something so hard?

Joe :cool:

Watchman Guest
    Yeah, I'm sure you can. This kid also liked to hit his own shins with coke bottles filled with sand. He's probably a parapalegic by now.

cha kuen Guest

WC Wall Punching bag

Where can I get the small bead bag that hangs on the wall?

benny Guest
    they are supposed to have rocks.
    the whole point is to punch the wall using the bag as padding.without giving way in your stance or structure.

Where can I purchase the dried beans?

Hello Fellas,

Can I know where can I purchase the dried beans to fill my wall bag? Also is dried beans a good ingredient to use or steel shots are better. If so, where can I get them?
    Any help is truly appreciated.
    Thanks!

kungfu cowboy Guest
    You can find dried beans at the grocery store. For steel shot you can use BB's. I think its safer to start with beans though.

mikey Guest
    yeah, cowboy's right.you can get the beans from just about any grocery store.
    Those bb's can get awful expensive.I recommend going to a local gun shop that sells reloading supplies.you should be able to buy a 25 pound bag of steel bird shot in a variety of sizes.

wongfeilung809 Guest

wall bags

how many of the wing chun people out there use one? how do you go about training with one, and what benfits do you get with one?
    simpleangles

whippinghand Guest

wall instead

I don't use wall bags, but I use the wall instead.
    Helps with the alignment of your fist. Helps you with the ONE punch.

wongfeilung809 Guest
    wouldnt it be easy to punch though a wall? maybe their just made thin down here...
    simpleangles

EmptyCup Guest
    I use one but a hanging bag is better when you're experienced enough with the wall bag. That's because a hanging bag moves, rotates, and is much heavier than a wall bag.

Hang your wall bag between your head and neck level (when you're in a horse stance)

Make sure you're the correct distance away for optimal punching: place your fist against the bag and see if there is one fist's distance between your elbow and your body. If there is too much distance, you're too far, it your elbow is too close, then you're too close :)

When punching, use the shifting lateral stance for optimal power from waist torque.

Aim to punch through the bag i.e. aim for the wall behind the bag so you don't "stop short" at just the surface of the bag. This visualization aid helps you develop greater stopping power.

Try to use a canvas bag that is stuffed enough to look like a puffy pillow. Canvas conditions your hands more, but you can always tape over the contact part if you don't want the friction against your hands.

The wall bag not only helps with developing punching power, but trains you to get used to the feel of hitting a solid object and helps you understand your reach in terms of punching distance.

most bags are filled with plastic bits. Those are fine but if you want the "traditional" feel, use beans. Just remember to change them every so often. :)