Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall Bag

Daredevil Guest
    I'm in full agreement with Sihing73 here. What WhippingHand is suggesting is ridiculous.

If you want to condition your hands (ie. knuckles in this case) you better use wiser methods unless you want to destroy your hands. That's anotehr discussion however.

If you want to learn punching, a bag is much better. It simulates a human body much better than a wall. Duh. :)

Edited: Ah. I can see the point of using a wall to align your fist, hand and body. That's different yes. But good ol' punching at a bag is still a very good idea. Try it before you knock it, if you don't believe it.

BeiKongHui Guest

Whiipinghand

Are you really Yoda or a Zen master or some thing?

"To the extreme!"
    --Poochie

whippinghand Guest

BKH

Would it make what I write more agreeable, if I said yes?

whippinghand Guest

EmptyCup

Are you sure that you are not the one who is fooled? I know your answer already, of course. BUT, are you CERTAIN?

remo Guest

rotator cuff

Simpleangles,

I prefer working with a partner and using a focus mitt for punching practice. Not even the great science of physics can measure the force of a punch (or so I’ve been told :) ), but your training partner can, and give you feed back after every punch.

You can’t always have a partner to train with, so what’s a martial artist to do?

I think the wall bag and the heavy bag are fairly good replacements. I would caution you to work up slowly on either one to avoid rotator cuff injuries. (in the shoulder joint) I also like the speed ball, others hate it, to each his own. When I’m working out alone, I try to work in a little bit of all three approaches.

Always interested in different takes on training and conditioning, let us know how it goes. :)

Ars vitae Guest

bag vs wall

Personally I prefer to train with bags, either wall mounted or held by someone. With the wall the surface is dependent on weether I'd hit it, if at all, but with the wall bag, you have the safety of a cushion to absorb and disappate your energies through it, which allows you to increase the ammont of energy you decide to release into. Also with teh wall, you can't practise stance turningthat well, as you'd end up not aligning your punch and structure for maximum efficincy. This is why I like a partnered bag work. This allows for attacks to come in at different angles, while allowing for chasing techniques to close in on a target and gettign positioning and structure right by having someone monitor my progress.

Sihing73 Guest

Wall and Stance Turning

Hello Ars vitae,

First let me say that I agree with the majority of your post.

I have one minor area in which we seem to disagree. This is the part where you indicate that you can't practice stance turning with a wall or wallbag. May I ask why this is not possible? A wall or wallbag provides a single point of reference upon whihc to practice. When punching while turning you should be able to punch to the same target area while maintining proper alignment. The difference in the position of the fist and or arm is due to the slightly different angle caused by the punch coming from a different stance. The only way to punch the same way as to angle and arm position as without a turn would be to punch to the front in which case you are practicing essentially the same punch as from the frontal stance.

Let me try to illustrate it this way; Your opponent is in front of you and he punches with a heavy attack. You deflect/disperse/accept his punch with a Taun Sau. His force is so great that it causes you to have to turn in order not to meet force with force. At the same time, you punch with the other hand to the opponent. Now, would your target be the same as if you punched without turning? Is your punch reliant on your intent alone or on the position of the opponent as well? If you decide to strike the opponents head while in the front stance, is this still the target if you turn?

I personaly feel that the Wall-Bag provides an excellent training aide. The fact that its position remains constant forces one to insure their stance and truning are correct. As another example think of the dummy. It remains pretty ocnstant and you move around it. Think about this and let me know if you still feel a wall or wall bag is not a good aide for the punch.

Other than this I agree with your post. I may also havem misunderstood your intention in writting;

["Also with teh wall, you can't practise stance turningthat well, as you'd end up not aligning your punch and structure for maximum efficincy. This is why I like a partnered bag work."]

Perhaps you were referring to simply punching against a bare wall. Please feel free to correct me if I am off base on your intention.

Peace,

Dave

EmptyCup Guest

Whipping Hand

I'm not sure if your question is just another attempt to sound cryptic and philosophical or just worded enigmatically.

I don't get it. Sure of what? Sure that I learned authentic Wing Chun? I'm sure I learned a workable system that is as close to Yip Man's wing chun as possible. I am sure what I learned was what he taught. And I am sure what you learned is not. What you do might work for you but it is definitely not "Wing Chun" as how it was taught by most lineages. It might be great on its own right but not the way Wing Chun is supposed to be. And as for asking who am I to decide what's wing chun, I'm merely going on what past masters have taught. That is what decides what is their style- how they taught their styles. You can say it's not proper Wing Chun, but its **** well the way they taught what Wing Chuin should be.

Ars vitae Guest

Sihing73

In response to your inquiry, yes I was talking about the bare wall. I don't mind the wall bag as much, as it sit's slightly out from the wall, the comment is directed primarily at the suggestion of striking a bare wall. With the wall bag, this allows a slight curvecture of the target area, not to mention slight cushion that you'd have on a body. This is much better than a bare wall in my opinion.

Ars vitae Guest

Sihing73

In response to your inquiry, yes I was talking about the bare wall. I don't mind the wall bag as much, as it sit's slightly out from the wall, the comment is directed primarily at the suggestion of striking a bare wall. With the wall bag, this allows a slight curvecture of the target area, not to mention slight cushion that you'd have on a body. This is much better than a bare wall in my opinion. When striking the bare wall, it would impact as Sihing73 mentioned as a force on force impact, which would defintely check your structure's alignment, if not rock it full force, but at a turned stance, you're feet are no longer forming a pyramid, losing part of your structure, which is not good defensibly, but you are attacking, which makes it a different situation, where your chain punch acts as both a defensive and offensive tool. This may bring run on to another thread, but has anyone else thought about WIng Tsun's defensive abilities? It seems to be fantastic for on coming attacks to meet things coming towards you with all your "weapon's" aimed forward then to slide to the side if there is no opening using the "wedge", but has anyone noticed against multiple attacker's, this may leave our side's potnetially compromised? Just at thought, feel free to comment. :)

whippinghand Guest

EmptyCup

How do you know for sure, that what they teach is the "way" Wing Chun is supposed to be? Is that what they told you?

However, my initial question was, are you CERTAIN, that you're not the one being fooled, which does relate to the above.

EmptyCup Guest
    I am absolutely 100% CERTAIN I have not been fooled, but as I stated before, it doesn't mean I'm right.

I am certain but certainty about something doesn't mean I'm correct. So I acknowledge that there is room for my being in error, but I am certain I am right.

Make sense? :)

whippinghand Guest

The truth

The real truth is in the wall. You should try it.

EmptyCup Guest
    er...no thanks :) I'll stay with sandbags for now...I'm not ready to screw up my hands when sandbags' are working fine, not to mention the dummy.

whippinghand Guest

healthy hands

My hands are fine. And my punch is better.