Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall Bag

wingchunwsl Guest

wall bags...

i'm thinking about making one. i heard you could fill it up with dry peas or bb's. what do you guys think? what would you use to hold everything together? a pillow case? :confused: help needed.

EmptyCup Guest
    Most people I know buy theirs...canvas ones stuffed with plastic bits.

You could use peas or beans but you'd have to change them every so often as they get crushed :)

You'd be better off using bbs (expensive) or small plastic bits (cheaper). You could construct one using canvas cloth and triple sewing it shut around the filling. Or, for fancier stuff, add a zipper so you can remove or change the filling in future if you need to.

Sihing73 Guest

Beans are better

Hello,

Actually the use of Mung Beans is often the first filler. These beans are supposed to be broken and replaced. The Mung Beans actually give off a substance which is beneficial to the hands and acts as kind of a "medicine" which interacts with the Jow to help condition the hands. After this one progresses to gravel/pebbles and then to steel shot.

If you find the cost of the Mung Beans prohibative you can substitute them with rice and then work your way up to gravle/pebbles and steel shot. Never used plastic pellets so I am not sure what benefits they would give you. I guess it owuld be comparable to rice.

If you can I would opt for the beans and them moving up from there. Over time you will condition your hands and the beans are a known substance while the others are not as well known as to their long term effects.

Peace,

Dave

[Censored] Guest

Beans and rice?

I used sand, cheap and plentiful at the local playground. :)

EmptyCup Guest
    I'm confused...are you talking about using the beans themselves as conditioners? or for sandbag fillers? How can the bean secretions be beneficial to the hands if they are inside a punching bag? The texture is almost identical to plastic bits...

wingchunwsl Guest

making one compared to buying...

if i were to buy one, how much would it cost? where could i find one? what do you guys think... actually buying one or making it yourself?

Sihing73 Guest

It works kinda like this

Hi Empty Cup,

It works like this;

If you ever did Iron Palm and used the internal method it would be to strike a bag filled with different things, one being Mung Beans at one stage. The hands striking the canvas surface would cause small abrasions, the secretions from the beans would seep through the canvas and make contact with the hands. This is one reason for the beans being used as they are supposed to break and do this secretion.

The external method would be to strike the beans directly with nothing in between your hands and the beans. Later you use gravle and then steel shot. If you think the canvas covering keeps things from coming into contact with your hands then use lead shot as the filler in a canvas bag. This would or could lead to lead poisoning as the lead would seep through the bag and cause damage. Obviously I am just using this as an illustration and would not reccomment using lead shot. :(

Sand works too but is a harder substance and does not allow for the gradual developement of the hands.

Peace,

Dave

Sharky Guest

guys...

i went to the local store to get sand, and i was overwhelmed by how many different types of sand there are! what do i use, that kiddies sand?

another thing is that i have a 3 sectioned thing. if i fill it with sand won't it be *really* heavy? there are 4 holes at the top but i don't want the bag to rip.

now, i don't want to appear really thick, but how do you attach the **** thing to the wall? there are 4 holes as i said, so have you got 4 hooks or something?

doh gotta go,

thanks

Edd

My anus is superiorâ„¢

whippinghand Guest

"sand" bag training...

... not to be played with, and does not necessarily use sand.

Shadowboxer Guest

wall bag

I had my sihing buy me a canvas bag for $10-the kind with 3 holes at the top with circular metal fasteners to prevent ripping. Fill with sand. Hang on a nail. Punch,punch,punch.....

BeiKongHui Guest
    What kind of gravel do people use?

"To the extreme!"
    --Poochie

PHILBERT Guest

I bought mine

It is about 6 inches long, has 8 sides and red (looks like a stop sign, but smaller). It has a white zipper, and is full of metal bb's. I spent $40 on it. I then put it in a plastic bag (when I punched it, I had a tendency to open the zipper up, spilling them) so I could keep the bb's from falling out. The bag weighs about 15.5 lbs. (I put it on an electronic scale). I bought it at a martial arts supply shop. The lady forgot she even owned it. I found it hidden behind one of the glass cases with some swords and statues around it.

PHILBERT

[Censored] Guest

Mounting

I also have one of the rectangular canvas bags with the reinforced holes. I considered using cat litter instead of sand (a bit softer?), but I don't know where to find free (clean) cat litter.

I originally had it mounted on a board with four hooks. The hooks all bent, and the reinforcing snaps all fell off of the bag. Now I have it mounted in front of my dummy, with a rope loop and two metal S brackets in the outer holes. The sand bunches up a bit when I put it on, but flattens out after a few punches. Removing the bag and replacing the arms is quick and easy. Hope this is helpful.

wtsihing Guest

bags w/filler

"traditional" chun bags are 3 sectioned (upper, mid, lower) and can be found in most martial arts magazine ads (sumwhere). i find that (unpopped) popping corn works well as wall bag filler. (haven't tried the popped popping corn as filler yet. keep eatin' it before i get a chance to put it in the bag).

Slayer Guest

The bag

You should go in this order with the bag, first beans, sand, the steal shot.