Thread: anyone know the NY terrorist kung fu guy?

anyone know the NY terrorist kung fu guy?

NEW YORK - FBI agents in Florida and New York arrested two men who prosecutors said were secretly recorded during a two-year sting operation pledging their support and loyalty to al-Qaida.

Authorities said Sunday that Rafiq Abdus Sabir, 50, a Boca Raton physician, and Tarik Shah, 42, a self-described martial arts expert in New York, conspired to treat and train terrorists. Both are American citizens.

Both men were scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in federal court, Shah in New York and Sabir in Florida, according to a news release from U.S. Attorney David Kelley in Manhattan.

It was not immediately clear who would represent them in court. If convicted, each man faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

The one-count complaint claims the men allegedly took an oath pledging their allegiance to al-Qaida. The government said the men engaged in multiple recorded conversations with a confidential source and an FBI agent posing as an al-Qaida operative.

During the conversations, Shah also described how he and Sabir in 1998 tried to get to training camps in Afghanistan and said they were a "package" deal, Kelley said in the release.

Police Department Commissioner Raymond Kelly said, "It is particularly gratifying that someone using New York City as a base for terrorist support is now in custody."

As recently as May 20, during a meeting at a New York City apartment, Sabir indicated he would travel shortly to Saudi Arabia to treat the wounds of jihadists at a Saudi military base, prosecutors said. Travel records showed he was scheduled to leave Thursday.

During recorded conversations, Shah also repeatedly indicated his desire to train Muslim "brothers" in the martial arts and hand-to-hand combat, the release said.

Shah took steps to find secret locations for jihad weapons training, at one point inspecting a Long Island warehouse, and described previous efforts to recruit others, prosecutors said.

Sabir was being held at the Palm Beach County Jail; it was not immediately known where Shah was being held. There was no phone listing for Sabir in Boca Raton, Fla. A phone number listed for Shah in Poughkeepsie, N.Y, rang unanswered Sunday evening.

Shah's mother, Marlene Jenkins, called the charges against her son "ridiculous."

"He's no terrorist," Jenkins, of Albany, N.Y., told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in Monday's editions.

Sabir is a licensed medical doctor in Florida, New York and Pennsylvania, according to the Florida Department of Health Web site. He received his medical degree from Columbia University in 1981 and his bachelor's degree from City of New York College.

Daniel McBride, spokesman for the Islamic Center of Boca Raton, said Sabir lived in a Boca Raton gated community with Arleen Morgan, a registered nurse, and their two young sons.

"While we were married he was a lovely father and husband, and nothing if not a hardworking man," Sabir's former wife, Ingrid Doyle, of New York City, told the newspaper. "I'm still reeling from this, and my daughter has been crying all day."

___
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

I live in the community where they arrested in the Florida doctor. Even this morning the news trucks were still lined up across the street. This is a real quite community so it was kind of suprising to see it on the 11:00 news last night. We had no idea anything had happened since the FBI came in early on Saturday morning.

Come on. Some poor guy who watched too many movies wants to train terrorists in unarmed combat. How pathetic can you get.

Later on, they will tell us the guy wears an aluminum foil hat.

This guy would be laughed at and beat up by a real kung fu guy if the world was still normal. Or maybe he might get sent to a psychiatrist for a psychiatric evalution.

In this crazy world we live in now, I bet they spent 1/2 a million on busting some poor lonely nutball.

You watch. He probably has an accomplice called Mini Me who he talks to on his special Mickey Mouse toy phone.

On first glance this sounds a bit weird. Why would a family man go through all that to become a doctor then suddenly decide to become a terrorist?

"Sabir indicated he would travel shortly to Saudi Arabia to treat the wounds of jihadists at a Saudi military base"

The jihadists has people in a Saudi military base?? How does that make sense?
    But then again you never know, guy might be nutty.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Back to the question.... does anybody know who he is? Had he shown up at anyone's kwoon in "quest" of knowledge and how to use the force or something lame like that or is he "legit" so to speak?

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

Saudi Arabia is a hotbed of Jihadist thought, the primary financier of it worldwide, and frankly, our most dangerous enemy.

The Wahhabist sect of Islam is virulent in it's hatred to the 'other' - even to the point of not recognizing other Muslims as Muslims despite the prohibition against doing just that in the Q'uran. They rail against the 'changes' made by other sects, while they themselves have made changes to suit thier islamofascist philosophy.

Saudi Arabia finances the spread of this sect all over the world, including here in Amerca. It's like having Nazi schools in your backyard while the government looks the other way.

It is fairly well known that sections of the SA regime support and endow jihadists.

Not surprising at all.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Greetings,

I am still waiting to see a picture of the New York terrorist. Never heard of the name.

A few years ago, shortly after 911, they flashed a picture of Zaqawi. I joked to my clients that that guy prepared my hero sandwich and he did not listen when I told him "No mayo." I suddenly realized that joke had edges of truth. Many of the guys from the Middle East who are working here are military trained already; some even achieved rank while serving. If the U.S. is so concerned about civilian awareness, this fact should be brought out. If this guy trained the arts, it was initially and most likely done in his country of origin. I hope that this info about a so called "martial arts expert" does not end with the establishment of a mandatory registry for martial arts practitioners. I get the feeling this is where we are heading.

I think Black Belt Magazine is going in the right direction when they "declassified" the infamous Black Book of the late Michael Echanis. They have also shifted to more contemporary oriented arts with and without weapons. I think it is a good thing to get more civilians involved in their own safety.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 05-30-2005 at 10:57 PM.

If convicted, each man faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison
    ****ing bull****. am i the only one really upset by this?

and then what? we let him out?

i dont know all the facts so if hes innocent or completely ****ing crazy then i hope the best for him, but otherwise he should be deported immediately. i'd be happier if he were executed or dropped off in SA with an american flag tatooed accross his forehead , but i'd settle for just deported.
    where's my beer?

Article, with picture.
    The Bronx man, the son of a Malcolm X lieutenant, then turned to the agent and said, “I could be joking and smiling and then cutting their throats in the next second,” the complaint said.

Shah, a professional jazz bassist, brought along his instrument “so as not to bring attention to himself.” Being a musician was a great cover, he said.
    Sketchy details on his training goals [weapons, it seems] & virtually nothing on his training, if any.

But it does demonstrate that a segment of the Nation of Islam is getting into the act- which means no deporting. He's just a scum terrorist & traitor.
    Last edited by ZIM; 05-31-2005 at 08:29 PM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySlap Too
    Saudi Arabia is a hotbed of Jihadist thought, the primary financier of it worldwide, and frankly, our most dangerous enemy.

The Wahhabist sect of Islam is virulent in it's hatred to the 'other' - even to the point of not recognizing other Muslims as Muslims despite the prohibition against doing just that in the Q'uran. They rail against the 'changes' made by other sects, while they themselves have made changes to suit thier islamofascist philosophy.

Saudi Arabia finances the spread of this sect all over the world, including here in Amerca. It's like having Nazi schools in your backyard while the government looks the other way.

It is fairly well known that sections of the SA regime support and endow jihadists.

Not surprising at all.
    Makes you wonder why we don't do anything about it. Could it be.....oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.