Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Little Guy Vs. Big guy

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    he is?? you type in the present, as if he's still alive. was, maybe, but not is. Because of that, it doesn't make any sense at all to bring him up.

That said, I don't think it's the size of your guys that matters - as I said earlier, it sounds like they need more experience. You may want to check other gyms, or, if you are happy there, stay, but find other guys from other schools to play with.
    ppl still aspire to be like brue lee, he is fast and has good kicking power.

I never saw bruce lee fight a big grappler, or anyone else for that matter, except really early pics from hong kong
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    ppl still aspire to be like brue lee, he is fast and has good kicking power.

People also aspire to be like elvis...

anyway, what they aspire to be is irrelevant to the point. He's not the greatest MAer of our time - he's dead. Not only that, but the greatest MAer of our time is someone who has only had about 5 years of training?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I would LOVE to see what Bruce Lee would do vs.:

Lidell
    Couture
    Silva
    Royce Gracie (in his prime)

Somehow I just don't think he would stack up.

ppl still aspire to be like brue lee,
    You're right!

*lies very still and moulders*
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Joe Lewis is still the real deal. http://www.fightingmaster.com/legend.../joe_lewis.htm

Interesting interview, too.

My teacher has met him and says that he thinks Lewis could take him, while with some of the grandmasters he has met he believes the opposite to be true.

Lewis said in another interview that he thought Bruce would be susceptible to "cut kicks" from today's fighters. But, of course he was of a different era and if BL was around now he surely would have trained for this. My feeling though is that at 138 he wouldn't do much to the above fighters with the exception of Royce, who he could kick in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by fa_jing
    Joe Lewis is still the real deal. http://www.fightingmaster.com/legend.../joe_lewis.htm

Interesting interview, too.

My teacher has met him and says that he thinks Lewis could take him, while with some of the grandmasters he has met he believes the opposite to be true.

Lewis said in another interview that he thought Bruce would be susceptible to "cut kicks" from today's fighters. But, of course he was of a different era and if BL was around now he surely would have trained for this. My feeling though is that at 138 he wouldn't do much to the above fighters with the exception of Royce, who he could kick in the head.
    Fighters now have become too big to be effective against Bruce. Note that Bruce could seriously move a kicking bag with his side kick.

That's crap. you have to be absolutely huge AND unskilled for their size to be any serious hinderance to them. Don't believe the hype, kid...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

wtf?

Fighters now have become too big to be effective against Bruce.
    you have to be on a wind up, surely? i have much respect for BL, but i think your statement makes more sense the other way round?

Note that Bruce could seriously move a kicking bag with his side kick.
    yes he had a good sidekick/ tigertail, but if it was just soaked up or they twist round it and grab him, most modern UFC fighter's strength, power and techniques would likely prove too much for even our man as he was back then.

as he would have said himself, "Bags dont hit back" ..when was the last time you saw an effective sidekick in a UFC bout? i dont think i ever have, and a good few have tried it.

try to remember what you see in films is scripted and choreographed, and not at all the same as a real fight.
    Last edited by ThaiMantis; 06-14-2005 at 01:42 AM. Reason: typo
    No "System" can out perform the limitations of your mind...

There is always a big problem in comparing a dead guy's skills with a live guy. What was 'the best' in the past often is only upper middle level in the present. A 1965 Mustang GT was great in 65, but now it gets out accelerated, cornered and braked by a Nissan 350. There's nothing strange or unusual about that, it's just progress. What could be argued is what made BL great in the past(his mind), would have kept him up to date with today's fighters. But like arguing about who was the best baseball hitter from different times, it doesn't make sense to compare what is dead and gone to what is alive, in front of you, and wanting to kick your a$$.
    The arguement that starts out "with all things being equal" is already false because things never are. That's why there are weight divisions in all fighting sports.
    Peace.
    Last edited by spiralstair; 06-14-2005 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spiralstair
    There is always a big problem in comparing a dead guy's skills with a live guy. What was 'the best' in the past often is only upper middle level in the present. A 1965 Mustang GT was great in 65, but now it gets out accelerated, cornered and braked by a Nissan 350. There's nothing strange or unusual about that, it's just progress. What could be argued is what made BL great in the past(his mind), would have kept him up to date with today's fighters. But like arguing about who was the best baseball hitter from different times, it doesn't make sense to compare what is dead and gone to what is alive, in front of you, and wanting to kick your a$$.
    The arguement that starts out "with all things being equal" is already false because things never are. That's why there are weight divisions in all fighting sports.
    Peace.
    hand to hand combat has declined in quality over time. Now people fight for sports. last time they used to fight for their lives.

I remember Bill Wallace article. He was talking about that. According to him, all those "secret techniques" that you can learn in an hour that "Martial arts masters don't want you to know" won't help agains a master or against a bigger person. Same is concerining men and women. I am not sexist by any means, but a 250lb guy has some major advantage over 130 lb women.
    Correct me If I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyk
    I remember Bill Wallace article. He was talking about that. According to him, all those "secret techniques" that you can learn in an hour that "Martial arts masters don't want you to know" won't help agains a master or against a bigger person. Same is concerining men and women. I am not sexist by any means, but a 250lb guy has some major advantage over 130 lb women.
    Correct me If I am wrong.
    eyes-groin-throat women's self defence but just as useful for men against men. Hard to beat the directness of that.

Yeah you can go for the eyes-throat-groin, but remember that those targets are also small and make one get rather close to the person your going to hit. They could easily get you as well as you getting them.

Better to cross their centerline, and control their spine and manuever them to a disadvantageous position and then have at em.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I am just wondering, what happens if you don't know how to get people out of balance. Also I agree that groin/nose/eyes/throat are all small targets. Plus more often than not, some one can still hurt you if slightly miss those targets. Not to mention you will P--s the attacker off.
    In my oppinion those targets can work if
    someone knows how the attacher reacts when hit there
    someone went through basic training with a knowledgeble sifu
    someone who attacts multiple vulnerable targets in close sequence