Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Guy Vs. Big guy

A double post that was an hour apart? that's odd...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar

A double post that was an hour apart? that's odd...
    I was just gonna comment on that
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Small people may be faster in general, but larger people are by no means always slower than smaller people. For example, Roy Jones is slightly taller than average at 5 foot 11 and he is arguably the fastest boxer alive.

sometimes with big people it is not as easy to steel their root/balance or throw, so at that time often percision striking is good. Every situation is different, no rule
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboxing
    Small people may be faster in general, but larger people are by no means always slower than smaller people. For example, Roy Jones is slightly taller than average at 5 foot 11 and he is arguably the fastest boxer alive.
    smaller and lighter ppl can move fast, games over when your large because you'll be muscle bound

Vasquez,

you haven't fought much, have you? Go check that theory against a college wrestler with a little boxing background who weights 240 and power cleans 300.

Andrew

Andrew S
    I agree
    I was much lighter a couple years ago and my old teachers relative came to class, a high school wrestler, big kid, there was nothing speed could do to prevent takedowns or to get off the ground. I was embarrased but I learned and have scince gained some weight and started to develop a little bit of a ground game.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    smaller and lighter ppl can move fast, games over when your large because you'll be muscle bound

okay... what exactly are you basing this on?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I gotta agree with Andrew on that one. Wrestler dudes can be tough,,but thats because they are in shape. They go to the gym,,they stretch a hell of a lot more than i do and they are quick. but i have been talking to a guy who used to wrestle and he says that he likes the training he got in wrestling(real wrestling not that wwf crap) But he got alot of his skillz honed when he started training to be a standup fighter(learning how to punch and keep a low guard) but its different with everyone. The UFC cats got a lot going on because they do both aspects and they dont play around. you guys are probably going to laugh but i actually Met Tank Abbot once, A long time ago,and i was there when he fought that hawaiin dude who was supposedly a 20 year master of ground fighting,,tank punched his lights out in the first 3 seconds of the bout. SInce then i have had a respect for the pit fighters(his fight with taktarov was boring,,but taktarov wore him down pretty good). But i also respect the ground fighters who actually know what they are doing.
    my whole point when i started this thread was that i am seeing a vast improvement in my skillz as a boxer because of taking hsing-i,,but i am working out with alot of skinny dudes who i feel dont work out hard enough,,man they gotta get bigger,,,or at least do something to gain a little and get strength.
    it is my opinion that it doesnt mean jack if you dont have the muscle power to back your internal power and vice versa,,,BUT,,we are in a physical world,,and for most we train the physical first.
    anyway,,,thanks for the posts. ill post in later days.
    Twistin tha Roots,,Darren

Unfortunately...alot of those guys may have a life outside of physical training. I found it quite easy to bulk up and commit to a boxing/grappling program while in college. Once I got a 40 hour a week job...I ended up slimming down. U probably need to find more challenging opponents to push you. I don't see your fighting ability approving unless u find sum1 dat is your size or bigger to push u. U may want to relocate to a gym that has quality sparring partners.
    A

Quote Originally Posted by Twisting Root
    I gotta agree with Andrew on that one. Wrestler dudes can be tough,,but thats because they are in shape. They go to the gym,,they stretch a hell of a lot more than i do and they are quick. but i have been talking to a guy who used to wrestle and he says that he likes the training he got in wrestling(real wrestling not that wwf crap) But he got alot of his skillz honed when he started training to be a standup fighter(learning how to punch and keep a low guard) but its different with everyone. The UFC cats got a lot going on because they do both aspects and they dont play around. you guys are probably going to laugh but i actually Met Tank Abbot once, A long time ago,and i was there when he fought that hawaiin dude who was supposedly a 20 year master of ground fighting,,tank punched his lights out in the first 3 seconds of the bout. SInce then i have had a respect for the pit fighters(his fight with taktarov was boring,,but taktarov wore him down pretty good). But i also respect the ground fighters who actually know what they are doing.
    my whole point when i started this thread was that i am seeing a vast improvement in my skillz as a boxer because of taking hsing-i,,but i am working out with alot of skinny dudes who i feel dont work out hard enough,,man they gotta get bigger,,,or at least do something to gain a little and get strength.
    it is my opinion that it doesnt mean jack if you dont have the muscle power to back your internal power and vice versa,,,BUT,,we are in a physical world,,and for most we train the physical first.
    anyway,,,thanks for the posts. ill post in later days.
    Twistin tha Roots,,Darren

LOL what about Bruce Lee?

I read that Bruce Lee can kick a 300LB heavy bag and make it swing back hitting the ceiling. He also kicked a 150LB hanging bag and supposely kicked a hole through it while it was hanging breaking the chain off where it was hanging on the wall. Now I think this is power and speed combine and its highest level.

Vasquez

"What About Bruce Lee"?

Well..................What about him? The Dude is dead. If you are wanting me to compare or bring up an age old debate,,im not gonna do it. I mean if you go back and read my post i say something about "Keeping in shape" and "Having Muscle power" etc etc. I think Bruce had all that. Enough said.

Twistin tha roots,,,Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisting Root
    "What About Bruce Lee"?

Well..................What about him? The Dude is dead. If you are wanting me to compare or bring up an age old debate,,im not gonna do it. I mean if you go back and read my post i say something about "Keeping in shape" and "Having Muscle power" etc etc. I think Bruce had all that. Enough said.

Twistin tha roots,,,Darren.
    he's the greatest maer of our time. lots more can be said and u know it.

he is?? you type in the present, as if he's still alive. was, maybe, but not is. Because of that, it doesn't make any sense at all to bring him up.

That said, I don't think it's the size of your guys that matters - as I said earlier, it sounds like they need more experience. You may want to check other gyms, or, if you are happy there, stay, but find other guys from other schools to play with.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter