Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difference between Kung Fu and Wushu

so true, guess it takes some alot longer than others to realise this.
    There is no technique that speed cannot defeat......

Thanks a lot for all the replies.
    Just wondering one more thing, so Wushu, I have gathered, essentially means chinese martial arts, and there is traditional and contemporary, the latter being the performance orientated art. Is traditional wushu basically the styles that Mantis, Northern Fist etc all fit under? Because I know that these such traditional styles are practical, but would such a style as Seven Star Preying Mantis fall under the banner of 'Traditional Wushu'?

Yes, many schools today are a mix of both traditional and contemporary wushu which even further blurs the lines i.e i learn seven star mantis but my school also enters many wushu type competitions or sum such senario.

Originally Posted by Tiger on Duty
    Seems to be lots of subjective posts and not much substance, the question is what is the difference not what is better or applicable etc.
    so basically look at the textbook type answers and ignore evryone else, hate it when people post in someones thread and dont even read the question properly.

I.E. he doesnt want your opinion he just wants facts.

Wushu=martial art (wether traditional or contemporary)

Kung fu=hard to learn skill (in western circles mistakenly used to mean chinese martial art).
    I wouldn't say kungfu(or gongfu/gungfu) is "mistakenly" used, as it's a perfectly legit term that was used by some Chinese to refer to Chinese martial arts. I think of it more as slang.

Thanks a lot for all the replies.
    Just wondering one more thing, so Wushu, I have gathered, essentially means chinese martial arts, and there is traditional and contemporary, the latter being the performance orientated art. Is traditional wushu basically the styles that Mantis, Northern Fist etc all fit under? Because I know that these such traditional styles are practical, but would such a style as Seven Star Preying Mantis fall under the banner of 'Traditional Wushu'?
    Traditional wushu is generally older styles like mantis, northern shaolin, etc.

Contemporary wushu has 4 main divisions: Chang Quan (based on 5 major traditional longfist styles), Nan Quan (based on Southern fist styles but generally still with chang quan basics), Taiji Quan (based on 4 major taiji styles... 24 form, 48 form, 66 form, etc.), and San Shou/San Da (a mixed martial fighting format and training method... combo of kickboxing and wrestling basically, and there's a san shou form, but I haven't seen it... don't know how wide spread it is). It also includes various forms based on traditional styles developed for competition, and individually created competition forms. There used to be international compulsory forms for competition, but they're no longer used in the world championships. At high levels of competition wushu athletes will either specialize in forms or fighting. This started happening mostly after the cultural revolution, but every once in awhile you get someone who can be highly competitive in both (like Jason Yee: competed in nan quan and san shou at the world championships, or Javon Holmes: placed in top 3 in both contemp. forms and san shou at national championships, I believe). As the years go on though, the competition level raises for each (and competition forms standards become more acrobatic) so it's harder and harder to do.

and lets' not forget thet whole "ghey" vs "not ghey" thing.

hahahahahaha.

If you can't take a joke, then...you're probably taking things too seriously.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Are you chinese brad?

some of those wushu guys have a harder time throwing a good punch than doing a really flashy gymnastic trick. (mainly the ones that do it for a hobby, not a job. but you see where the emphasis is on getting points) not all of course, but just check out some of those videos. i saw this guy doing a changquan form where he could do a xuan feng jiao inside kick and land in the splits but when he threw a punch it looked like he has butter fists. argh!! this is why i love the compulsory, everybody had good fist and stance.

Are you chinese brad?
    Nope. I have to ad more text so this thing will let me post my message

So, is Changquan also a practical style with real applications? That is a big question that I would really appreciate an answer for, thanks for anyone who answers it.

I had wushu chicken the other day at the Golden Buddha restaurant. Not sure if it was traditional or contemporary though.

Quote Originally Posted by jindonovan
    So, is Changquan also a practical style with real applications? That is a big question that I would really appreciate an answer for, thanks for anyone who answers it.
    You find the right person and they can show you actual application for any form.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Wushu has too much gay posing. Its the Kung fu for the guys who swing from the other side of the green.

Dang wolfen, that was great!
    Figure Eight