Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Songshan Shaolin Lyrics: Xiaohongquan

sweet s*** man, thanks.

Video: Shaolin Xiao Hong fist

That is a good form. Certainly better than any i learned at you know where.

As always, TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Wow, looks like I learned and *Abridged* version of that set....
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

please watch again...lol...

if you don't watch again, you don't get the english part.

nice find spj
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Awesome set!1

I wonder how old it is?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

and people say shaolin is all wushu and flashy and pretty.....
    even though it wasnt flashy..i have to admit..it did look pretty and powerful =)
    i think i might change the way i do my shao hung chang now =)
    he influence me on a couple of moves =)
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Here's my shifu's version. I think as it's a famous set, there is a wide range of variation.

http://www.kungfuloung.com.tw/sample008.wmv
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

onyomi,
    The set you are showing is not even remotely the same set. Although it has the same name, it looks more like a Tai Tzu Hong Chuan set to me. Tai Tzu Hong Chuan has 4 Xiao Hong sets, and 6 Da Hong Sets. Some branches variy, but the system prevelant in Taiwan is as I described.

Just to confuse you though, the emperor Sung Tai Tzu is said to have created the Xiao Hong Chuan set being discussed in this thread. I have never found a Tai Tzu branch outside of Shaolin that teaches it though.

Reguardless of what it is, I must say your teacher shows a spectacular performance. He is very skilled.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-21-2006 at 10:21 PM.

For the Women:

+ = & a

xiao hong chuan

Xioa hong ...great form...Shi Yanzi teaches it slightly differently...when i say this his hand positioning is slightly different..but all in all all the postures are the same....his foot positioning at the end is slightly different he teaches the toe up position after collapse the stomach strike...but ive seen other forms with the toe down...but after his explanation the toes up makes more sense...also in this demonstration the shrink the body in ding bu his leading arm travels from upper straight down Yan zi Shifu..sweeps across as in the silk reeling exercise...or the ultimate skill exercise....also his butting an elbow is pushing forward rather that traveling diagonally....but all in all great form either way....i like his pushing a palm from a diagonal cutting palm...shi yanzi uses his negative arm as a parry while his leading arm presses the attack...followed by a pressing palm....

thanks for a great clip

namo ami to fou

I know that master but I'm blocking on his name

I think I have footage of him in my Shaolin Trips video. I'm tempted to say it's in the section that has traditional kung fu demonstration from the Academic Symposium in 2003, but I'm not sure (there's a good complete version of Shi Deyang demonstrating in that part). My other guess is that he was one of the CWA masters in the tournament itself. Then again, it might not have been my video at all.

Oh man, I've seen so much video footage, I can't even remember what's in my own freaking video anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Wow, looks like I learned and *Abridged* version of that set....
    An abridged version of THAT?
    THat's one of the shortest Shaolin forms, why would
    anyone bother making it any shorter?

THis guy does the form not so modern wushuy but still very external.
    If you see it done with internal/external idea, you will see the primitve Tai Tzu quan
    in the form, it's pretty much all TZQ.

There is short Xiaohong now

The shortened form cuts the form in half. It's used to teach students that only have a few lesson sessions or are very low level in skill. I've seen it taught to many tourists at Shaolin and heard of it being taught in short seminars.

The form above is the standard form. It's execution is pretty standard too. I agree with Sal that this rendition is still fairly external, although the play rate at youtube tends to blur the expression of fajing. You do see more internal versions at Shaolin, mostly from the internal temple monks or the older masters.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by onyomi
    Here's my shifu's version. I think as it's a famous set, there is a wide range of variation.

http://www.kungfuloung.com.tw/sample008.wmv
    This isn't Shaolin Xiao Hung Quan, it is taiwanese Tai Tzu Quan from the Mai Hua Long Fist system.

What you are correctly observing is that both forms come from the same roots, Tai Tzu Long Fist.