Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
The shortened form cuts the form in half. It's used to teach students that only have a few lesson sessions or are very low level in skill. I've seen it taught to many tourists at Shaolin and heard of it being taught in short seminars.

The form above is the standard form. It's execution is pretty standard too. I agree with Sal that this rendition is still fairly external, although the play rate at youtube tends to blur the expression of fajing. You do see more internal versions at Shaolin, mostly from the internal temple monks or the older masters.
Yep, the internal version is nice thing to see.

When you see internal version of such Shaolin forms, you can see how Chen tai ji developed out of Shaolin's Tai Tzu, Hong Quan, Pao Chuoi, and other forms.

By the way, I've been making a chart that shows the one to one correspondance between the Chen Lao Jiao form and the equivalent moves in Shaolin Tai Tzi Long Fist forms.

The Lao Jia is supposed to be a few forms merged into one Chen tia ji form,
and you can follow where you are in the Tai tzi form along side the Chen TJ form pretty well.

What I'd like to do is get an expert Chen person to do the form next to someone doing the Shaolin Tai Tzu form and photograph the moves to show how Chen is derived from the Shaolin TZ long fist form.

Maybe publish it in your mag, Gene?