Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to play "spot the kung fu principle in everyday life"?

Who wants to play "spot the kung fu principle in everyday life"?

I didn't know where to put this. It is like a big roundtable discussion about something. It is not about a particular kung fu, it applies to all of them. You can move it if it needs to be moved.

I wanna teach ya somethin. If you will let me. I hate telling people stuff though. It is boring. They usually get resentful. If you make a game of it, everyone learns what they do and do not know. We all get to laugh and point at each others mistakes. We realize we are all human and sharing makes us all stronger. We bond.

So you know that if you make fun and point and hit people, you are destroying the spirit of the game right? Ribbing someone is all in fun. Telling them they an idiot is mean.

I start the game. Here is a picture of a bodybuilder.

http://www.happeh.com/Images/Weightlifter.jpg

What does your knowledge of kung fu, body language or any other knowledge you have that applies tell you about this picture? Share with us what you know. Don't be shy.

I got some very specific questions I want to ask and a very specific thing I want to show you. This specific thing would take most people years to figure out/understand/see. I am a blabbermouth so I tell you after a week's worth of discussion. You make me see something from what you know and I will trade you what I see.

Remember. Mean people suck!

What does your knowledge of kung fu, body language or any other knowledge you have that applies tell you about this picture?
    Does your choice of this picture have anything to do with your extensive rants on "Wing Chun making you go gay" on the Wing Chun forum?

Ribbing someone is all in fun. Telling them they an idiot is mean.
    Ever heard the expression, "Gotta be cruel to be kind"?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

As we know, Kung Fu, and all arts for that matter are special and unique. The principles of movement are completely different from art to art and circumstance to circumstance. As such, there are no Kung Fu principles in everyday life.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    As we know, Kung Fu, and all arts for that matter are special and unique. The principles of movement are completely different from art to art and circumstance to circumstance. As such, there are no Kung Fu principles in everyday life.
    principles of kungfu can or cannot be applied in everyday depending on the individual.

for instance, posture. One can choose to sit straight and relaxed in their chair at the office allowing for correct alignment of teh spine which in turn is not only comfortable, but better for teh spine overall. This is a simple principle that some choose to adhere to and otehrs don't and as well is a kungfu principle.

or, say someone shovels holes for a living, if they were a kungfu person, they would know something of falling power and how the application of it would make their task more efficient and less tiring. This again would be a kungfu principle applied in everyday life. Straight down, let teh weight drop in, don't deviate from teh straight down path of the natural weight falling. and so on.

not to mention philosophical ideas and principles that one could apply to their relationships with others and so on.

as for the photo, well it's a pose the intention of which is to define specific muscles. The contortion of the body is to suit that purpose. the person depicted doesn't necessarily have anything wrong with them ther than everyday wear and tear or that wear and tear that occurs from bodybuilding.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I was joking
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

No Merry's right. It's all the same. In fact, there's very little reason to train, because a white belt and a blue belt, it's all the same mechanics .... there's only so much the human body can do. Just buy the book. Follow the pictures and you'll be alright.

It's quite clear what's wrong with that picture.

That man is not wearing pants.

Kung fu rules are quite clear on this point: no pants, no kung fu! Put on your pants, man!
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

That's about as close to "LOL" as I've ever come.

But I've yet to "LOL"

because a white belt and a blue belt, it's all the same mechanics
    You're right. It is the same mechanics. It's just that a blue belt is better at them because they've trained them more. In fact, a black belt is doing exactly the same moves as a white belt, just better. Better timing, better positioning, etc. The black belt is doing what the white belt SHOULD be doing. If the white belt were doing it right, he/she/it, would look and feel like the black belt. It's an issue of doing it RIGHT, not utterly different mechanics.

THAT'S why you train. Not because the optimal mechanics are so majorly different, but to become good at them.

The right body position for a squat, deadlift or lunge and the right position to lift somebody for a carry are the same. Hmmmmm.....
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 06-01-2005 at 08:56 AM.

he may be buff and flexing and all but his spine is curving in that pic.

he also has a giant piece of gold belly button lint stuck up in there.
    Last edited by PangQuan; 06-01-2005 at 09:09 AM.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    he may be buff and flexing and all but his spine is curving in that pic.

he also has a giant piece of gold belly button lint stuck up in there.
    I think he's wearing too much gold and that he's mutating in result.

"Sometimes, its all about the goooooold..."
    /bimbo from overstock.com
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

w00t! I almost got a "LOL"!

... but that's not gold bellybutton lint ... it's his "chi" trying to escape. I think.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

whats wrong with that dude is he has aparently spent a lot of time, effort and drugs... just to end up looking crappy.
    seriously, bodybuilding at pro levels looks focken ugly

i might, i might be ulgy, or uglier
    but i dont spent effort in looking uglier
    it just happens naturally for me
    no energy wasted to achieve that
    Resistance is futile, teh Clerus is done. He awaits for the end aknowledging its presence everyday. When it comes he hopes to feel like being in the womb again.
    I am not here at the forum therefore, got nothing more to say and cannot save anyone (me included).
    I know i can resist for a good while, uknown is the value of while. Impermanence might be the only truth to life.
    Bye, peeps

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    You're right. It is the same mechanics. It's just that a blue belt is better at them because they've trained them more. In fact, a black belt is doing exactly the same moves as a white belt, just better. Better timing, better positioning, etc. The black belt is doing what the white belt SHOULD be doing. If the white belt were doing it right, he/she/it, would look and feel like the black belt. It's an issue of doing it RIGHT, not utterly different mechanics.

THAT'S why you train. Not because the optimal mechanics are so majorly different, but to become good at them.

The right body position for a squat, deadlift or lunge and the right position to lift somebody for a carry are the same. Hmmmmm.....
    How come a regular person can see footage of a pitcher on the mound throwing 20 pitches and everything looks the same .... but some balls curve, some rise, some sink?

It's because there is a little movement in there, seperate and distinct, from the huge, obvious, gross movement of throwing. Ayone and everyone can throw a ball. It's all the same movement. But only a certain handful of pro pitchers can throw the screwball.

I declare its the same with martial arts, even, no, especially with something deemed so rudimentary us punching.

Just because the whole world says the world is flat doesn't make it so. When you come up to NYC, or when you want to have me down by you, I think I can literally add a dimension to your punching world.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 06-01-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    Does your choice of this picture have anything to do with your extensive rants on "Wing Chun making you go gay" on the Wing Chun forum?

Ever heard the expression, "Gotta be cruel to be kind"?
    Yes it does. Why? Have you figured out where I am going already?

We are talking kung fu principles here right?

Yin/Yang theory is like THE most basic kung fu principle isn't it?

IS or IS NOT this man an example of extreme yang? Or "super duper Yang" as I put it in the other thread?

If not why not?

I see a man. Man is Yang. I see lots and lots of big and very hard muscles. Hard is Yang. That means the man is Yang plus Yang = Yang2 or extreme Yang or super duper Yang.

If you know what is coming, go ahead and spit it out. I will be sorta bummed but not really. Once we get an agreement on if he is or is not Yang, then we go the next step. It involves one of the most attention getting things in the photo in my opinion.