Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Brothers Celestial Film Library

Have any of you checked out www.jaman.com ?

There's a number of the very flicks mentioned. All available for download rental or purchase. Rentals are a $1.99 for a 7 day liscense... purchase is 4.99 ! I just need to purchase the liscense for most of those, I've already downloaded them as rentals.

Give me an email address and I can send you invites. Either that or let 'em know you heard about it from "DaveMoral"

Yeah CFLnole it is just preference. English dubs are VERY important to me, especially when the voice acting is good. I got the remastered IVL version of my favorite shaw movie Killer Constable and the English subtitles suck compared to the English dub.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    I prefer the cantonese to the english dubs myself. Being a kung fu person when you hear certain things they make more sense rather than some of the english translations. Names of styles and somethings, which for most might not mean much but I can understand the Region 1 aspect.

Some of the IVLs are also from HD masters but you are right not all. In any event their quality is quite good.
    Of course. I dont know the difference between cantonese and mandarin, but either way, the chinese language adds alot of drama to kung fu flicks. If you have the english dubs, it just gets too goofy.

9 times out of 10 I will take the english dub over the Chinese dub. Its not like you are hearing the original actor's voice, though every once in a great while you will. The key is the voice acting. Compare the oldschool British dubs to those "Jet Li Collection" Fortune Star dubs. Big difference.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

My personal preference is to have the options for Mandarin or Cantonese, and the (original) English dubs. I positively cannot stand the new English dubs that Dimension puts on the films they release here. And as mentioned, the ones by Fortune Star. Especially the latter, because they just redo the original English dubs that were done better the first time around. Not to mention, on multiple options, often the original Mandarin (or Cantonese) version has all the original music/soundtrack while the other options do not.

Those Dimension releases not only have the horrible dubbing, but they change the music. It is really irritating. Oh well, at least Dimension is gone.

One movie that comes to mind where the music is better in the English dub is Young Master.

Jethro:
    One thing about the Fortune Star/20th Century-Fox releases is they make some of the music almost inaudible. For example, during the final fights in The Young Master, Warriors Two, etc. And sometimes when there is a particularly heavy punch or kick landing in slow-motion, there is an odd click-type sound that prefaces the (usually) echoing sound effect. That isn't from the original sound effects, it seems to have been added during the re-dub process, and it's annoying. I have the old VHS versions of Young Master and Warriors Two, and IMO the music is better-done than in the DVD releases.

Yeah I remember the Warriors Two sound effects were horrible. Have you seen the cut version of Young Master? I think it is like 89 minutes long. The dubbing is some of the best i have ever heard, and the music is just as funny as the dubbing. The cut English version is one of my favorite comedies of all time right up there with Dumb and Dumber. And in the English version Jackie sings a song at the end. I don't know why they didn't include that in the Chinese version.

Yeah, the original English dub on Young Master was one of the best. The voices actually fit the characters. Why they replaced that with geeky surfer-boy voices I'll never know. And I think from Young Master through most of Jackie's '80s films, he sang the end songs. But IMO, it's probably good he didn't quit his day job.

Of course, the songs seem to be edited out of virtually all U.S. releases.

Shaw Brothers Remastered classics

I know the shaw brothers library is being remastered does anyone know where you can by these online? And are they available in dubbed or just subs? Thanks, appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    I know the shaw brothers library is being remastered does anyone know where you can by these online? And are they available in dubbed or just subs? Thanks, appreciate it
    The originals are all subtitled, and I believe are mostly region 3 (won't play on American DVD players).

http://us.yesasia.com/en/Browse/Prod...id-1002426052/

Some of them have been re-released in region 0 with the dubbing from the original releases, though. I got the dubbed version of the remastered 36th Chamber from Amazon, I think.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Shaw Brothers

There are a ton of bootleg Shaw Brothers titles floating around. Celestial picked up the Shaw library and remastered them for region 3. We covered that in two e-zine articles, both published prior to 2003 (or thereabouts - I'd have to really dig to figure out the pub date on those) by Dr. Craig Reid:
    SHAW BROTHERS: RELOADED
    Another Shaw Brothers Update: Distribution and a New Kung Fu

Some of these Shaw Brothers titles have been picked up for American distribution by Dragon Dynasty. We've been working to promote Dragon Dynasty in a cooperative venture, thus our current sweepstakes for FLASHPOINT and our previous one for PTU. I watched a check disc of their soon-to-be-released title COME DRINK WITH ME last week and was blown away by the quality of the remastering that Dragon Dynasty has done with this classic film. They really treated it with respect. Even on my HDTV, the image looked incredibly sharp and the subtitling was perfect. Now I'm looking forward to seeing more of the old classics on Dragon Dynasty's label.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks for the replies guys

Interesting articles Gene....

Specifically I'm looking for the ones that Celestial is remastering. I can't find them to buy anywhere. I don't think the region restrictions will be a problem as i think my DVD player is region free.

Any ideas where to go online to get them?

Actually now that I've checked the site Masterkiller supplied I believe that intercontinental video ltd is the distrib for Celestial, is that right?
    Last edited by Ronin22; 04-30-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Yeah IVL distibuted Celestial's remastered Shaws for a few years. For English dubs look for the Dragon Dynasty and Media Blasters (Tokyo Shock) DVDs. Image Entertainment also has English dubs on some of their releases. In fact, their last 3 releases have had English dubs. Deadly Breaking Sword, MAgic Blade and Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan.

Thanks jethro

Yeah I'm trying to decide if i want to go with subs or not, it seems there aren't a lot of choices from Dragon Dynasty for english dub. How about Image and Tokyo Shock, do they have a lot more titles?

Also, is there a good online store for these? Thanks