Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Brothers Celestial Film Library

Celestial to Slovenia and Israel

I wonder how you translate Dirty Ho into Hebrew...

2007-10-08
    Celestial Scores Slovenian, Israeli Deals on Martial-Arts Films

HONG KONG, October 8: Celestial Pictures has expanded the reach of its Shaw Brothers martial-arts films into Slovenia and Israel, scoring deals with Viasat Broadcasting and SAT-Interactive.

The Viasat deal marks the first time Celestial’s Shaw Brothers martial arts films will be available on TV3 Slovenia. Under the agreement, Viasat has taken a package of kung-fu classics, among them The Five Deadly Venoms, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and One-Armed Swordsman.

The SAT deal brings Shaw Brothers features to the Hot Cable Channel and VOD platforms in Israeli.

The Shaw Brothers library consists of 760 films produced from the 1950s to the 1990s. Since 2002, Celestial Pictures has been making these remastered versions available to audiences around the world.

Those titles, in HD, will be available at MIPCOM this week, alongside The King Boxer mobisodes, which were nominated for this market’s MIPCOM 2007 Mobile & Internet TV Awards.

Mobisodes, video messaging, video clips, ring tones, wallpaper and games will be a focus at MIPCOM. As will be the mobile TV channel Kung Fu TV, which features short-form segments of kung-fu film clips from the Shaw Brothers slate.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I heard Media Blasters will be releasing 20 movies, so there will be more R1 Shaws. I heard about it a while ago and they all sound good. Chinese Super Ninjas is on the list. A lot of times Media Blasters doesn't follow through with their plans so I have my fingers crossed.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Great news for Shaw Brothers fans

http://hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2008/...-us-shaws.html

"This is direct from BCI.
    They have signed a deal with Celestial Pictures to release 15 films during 2008 & 2009.

The titles are:
    Life Gamble
    Opium and the Kung Fu Master
    The 14 Amazons
    Shaolin Hand Lock
    Hong Kong Godfather
    Shaolin Prince
    Invincible Shaolin
    The Basterd Swordsman
    The Duel
    Return of the Basterd Swordsman
    Shaolin Rescuers
    Soul of the Sword
    The Lady Hermit
    The Supreme Swordsman
    The Sword of Swords"

This is such awesome news for Shaw Brothers fans. Some really REALLY good titles on there. And I have always wanted a remastered uncut version of the blood drenched Hong Kong Godfather.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

I just got word from gfanikf on kungfufandom that they are trying to make sure Hong Kong Godfathers is uncut and the prints they are using are HD masters.

This is some of the best news I've heard in a long time! There's a LOTTA good Shaw titles in there!

I haven't seen like half of those movies, but I have heard some GREAT things about Sword of Swords, the Basterd swordsman, Soul of the Sword and LAdy Hermit. This is so awesome!!!

I know I've seen the following:

Shaolin Hand Lock
    Opium and the Kung Fu Master
    Shaolin Prince
    Invincible Shaolin
    The B@st@rd Swordsman
    Return of the B@st@rd Swordsman
    The Duel
    Shaolin Rescuers (I think the real title is Avenging Warriors of Shaolin).

I think I might have seen Life Gamble.

I wonder if Soul of the Sword is the Andy Lau/Anita Mui swordplay fantasy from the '90s?

Soul of the Sword is a Shaws Ti Lung movie. Like most shaw movies from the time is has about 100 other recognizable faces ( I'm going by info I found on hkcinemagic.com).

Life Gamble stars Fu Sheng (in a non fighting role). Interesting movie, but kind of boring. Not a lot of fighting. Lo meng and Fu Sheng use flying daggers, Chiang Sheng uses a whip, and Lu Feng has an iron claw (this may have been the inspiration for his iron claws he uses in Crippled Avengers). Wang Lung Wei and Ku Feng have small roles. There are some pretty ladies who have big roles, including Kara Hui. Lee I Min and Kuo Choi have a really cool fight at the end. Kuo choi uses a few different weapons including double nunchukas.

The other movies I have seen on that list are-

Hong Kong Godfather
    Invincible Shaolin
    Shaolin Prince
    the Duel
    Shaolin Rescuers (my favorite venoms movie)
    Last edited by jethro; 01-10-2008 at 09:20 PM.

So if BCI has signed with Celestial, then the quality of the transfers should be up to Celestial/DD level of clarity. (isn't BCI the same company that puts out the Rarescope releases?).

I might have seen that Sould of the Sword, then. There was a super-abundance of Ti Lung swordplay movies (most directed by Chu Yuan, aka, Chor Yuen) that the Asian theaters used to show, such that the titles are mostly forgotten. Most were good quality, though. Not to mention that some movies are mentioned or released with different titles, creating ultimate confusion for a kung fu movie buff.

Yeah they put out the Rarescope releases.

The quality should be really good on the Shaw releases. They have the HD masters which is what Dragon Dynasty uses, so it is even better quality than the region 3 Deltamac and IVL releases.

What's the big deal why not just buy all the Celestials?

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    What's the big deal why not just buy all the Celestials?
    Because Celestial isn't a DVD company. Celestial remasters the movies, and Deltamac, IVL, Image, Dragon Dynasty, and now Media Blasters and BCI release them.

Well then why not just buy the ones that are already out. I have a number of them already. A few on the last I don't care for. What I am asking is if they are already available remastered what is the big deal that another company will release them as well?

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Well then why not just buy the ones that are already out. I have a number of them already. A few on the last I don't care for. What I am asking is if they are already available remastered what is the big deal that another company will release them as well?
    I am assuming you are talking about the region 3 deltamac and IVL discs. the reason I would buy the new region 1 BCi and Media Blasters releases is because they are taken from high definition masters, and the deltamac and IVL releases aren't. Have you seen a dragon Dynasty release of a Shaw film? It looks even better than the IVL and Deltamac versions. Also, BCI and Media Blasters will be including English dubs for every movie they can, and IVL and Deltamac don't feature English dubs. The English dubs are very important for me because I usually prefer them over the Cantonese and Mandarin dubs. Also, no DVD company has ever released a remastered version of Hong Kong Godfather, the movie I most want to see on that BCI list. Black Magic 2 is another movie that has never been released (Media Blasters is releasing this one).

I prefer the cantonese to the english dubs myself. Being a kung fu person when you hear certain things they make more sense rather than some of the english translations. Names of styles and somethings, which for most might not mean much but I can understand the Region 1 aspect.

Some of the IVLs are also from HD masters but you are right not all. In any event their quality is quite good.