Thread: Beat you like a red-headed stepchild

Beat you like a red-headed stepchild

Which would be cruel
    People with red hair are more sensitive to pain and consequently need more anaesthetic during operations than other patients, according to new research

"Red hair is the first visible human trait, or phenotype, that is linked to anaesthetic requirement," says anaesthesiologist Edwin Liem, who conducted the research at the Outcomes Research Institute of the University of Louisville, US.
    So red heads are wimps. And here I always thought the Vikings were tough or something...
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

The hair color and skin color are from melanin in the cells. Melanin is a dark pigament. If you have more, your hair and skin are darker.

Melatonin is a hormone that relates to the production and amount of melanin.

Melatonin is also known to act on receptors that mediate analgesia or pain relief.

Maybe there is a link that you have darker hairs because you have more melatonin in your body and thus you are less painful or endure more pain or the pain threshold is higher.

A stepkid is strong with twin roots, the old family and the new.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    Maybe there is a link that you have darker hairs because you have more melatonin in your body and thus you are less painful or endure more pain or the pain threshold is higher.
    That is apparently what they're saying.

So, uh, anybody think that some racists will latch onto this kind of stuff, saying that darker people are more insensitive to pain, therefore any violence to them isn't so bad?
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    The hair color and skin color are from melanin in the cells. Melanin is a dark pigament. If you have more, your hair and skin are darker.

Melatonin is a hormone that relates to the production and amount of melanin.

Melatonin is also known to act on receptors that mediate analgesia or pain relief.

A stepkid is strong with twin roots, the old family and the new.

stop trying to provide logical answers so we cant make fun of redheads. yet the question is for the ladies, does the ... how does that matching quote go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Most recent redhead news:

Didn't y'all also know we are going extinct

Vikings didn't really have red hair, they took slaves from the british isles and often had ******* childs with them (perhaps that's where redheaded stepchild comes from?).
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by qeySuS
    Vikings didn't really have red hair, they took slaves from the british isles and often had ******* childs with them (perhaps that's where redheaded stepchild comes from?).
    Holy sh.it it's qeySuS!
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

indeed! Been a slow night so i needed something to do, i even did homework
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

About extinction of recessive gene traits:

Life will find its way.

I would hardly use the research of 10 people red headed women to justify this thought about red heads. It's a good hypothesis, although it needs to be tested ALOTT more to be fact

Quote Originally Posted by sk8fool
    I would hardly use the research of 10 people red headed women to justify this thought about red heads. It's a good hypothesis, although it needs to be tested ALOTT more to be fact
    That's true, but there has actually been more research done since the article was published (2002).

Here are some that I have found:

one article

Another article

It seems as though there has been research on rats with the same melacortin mutation.

Also, IIRC, when this article came out there was a lot of anecdotal evidence of redhead resistance to anesthesia like redheads wake up during surgery, etc.

Anyway being a redhead gal, I can tell you from experience that I typically need more novacaine than normal people when at the dentist, for example.

Cheers,

Laugh

So in general then does lighter skin = less pain resistance? Is it a linear scale?

If you get a really dark tan does that increase your tolerance?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

There's probably some aspect of the melatonin that interrupts or distorts the nerve signals slighty.

Heh, it'd be a funny explaination for why a white guy is never a boxing champ for long.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    So in general then does lighter skin = less pain resistance? Is it a linear scale?

If you get a really dark tan does that increase your tolerance?
    the research only tests the hair color. specificly red head vs. dark hair(I'm asuming brown and black hair). To be thurough they next need to test red headed, vs blond hair(natural color of course, not bottle job) to see if it has something to do with the lightness of the hair color, or the specific red hair.

You see, the scientific method is to make something up, and then test it until it fails. If you cant make it fail, then you've discovered something. Then decades later some one comes along and test against your discovery and might figure out something you found wrong, which just adds to the never ending search for truth.

You can never be 100% sure in science, you can just come up with tests that cannot be disproven with modern knowledge and technology
    Last edited by sk8fool; 06-05-2005 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelaugh
    That's true, but there has actually been more research done since the article was published (2002).

Here are some that I have found:

one article

Another article

It seems as though there has been research on rats with the same melacortin mutation.

Also, IIRC, when this article came out there was a lot of anecdotal evidence of redhead resistance to anesthesia like redheads wake up during surgery, etc.

Anyway being a redhead gal, I can tell you from experience that I typically need more novacaine than normal people when at the dentist, for example.

Cheers,

Laugh
    I also used to need a ton of nova cain before I started meditating prior to the appointment. (I was born a red-head but it turn dark strwberry blond when I was a bout 7 or 8)

The part I found more interesting was that red hair is caused by mutant meletonin. Both of my boys have my odd hair coloring, though there is very little blond or red hair in my family and none what so ever with thier fathers. I always wondered how a my youngest son got strwaberry hair when his dad has jet black...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it