Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can tall people be good infighters?

can tall people be good infighters?

I'm pretty tall ( 5 feet 9 inches ) and my legs are long in proportion to my body. I've been doing southern kung fu for a long time and I've grown quite attached to my school and style. However, my style, being a southern kung fu style, focuses on and specializes in close range fighting and I have doubts that my build is good for this type of fighting. Can tall people with long legs become good infighters or should I try to find a more suitable style?

Blog Entries
    That's not tall, I'm 6'7"

5'9 is not tall, though it might depend on where you live. I'm about that height, and I know in australia, I'm a shortarse. I don't think many of my friends are under 6 foot.
    I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with lower southern stancework, and tight handwork. I haven't been doing kung fu for that long, but my observations so far are that if nothing else, 'infighting' or close range can suit the vertically challenged.
    Also, the fact that you're asking the question, might suggest you're not comfortable with the body structure/movements and tactics of your style? Is this so, or are you more concerned with the stereotype?
    All that aside, personally, I think if what you're learning feels right to you over time, and you can not only see, but really feel your improvement, then physical attributes become of little concern.
    Last edited by srh; 06-01-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Well, I've been pretty comfortable with all aspects of my style. I guess you could say I'm mostly just concerned with the stereotype. Would my legs, which are slightly long in proportion to my body, be a disadvantage for southern style? Thanks.

Hi - I am six feet even.

I'm sure this will generate a lot of good technical discussion, but one observation: I am a short-hand practitioner, and most of my partners / opponents are shorter than I am. However, my Gung Bo / stance is almost invariably lower to the ground than their own is - making me the shorter person...

ta - Ao Qin

I think you're best equipped to answer that question for yourself. Everyone will have different perspectives based on their varying experiences, but you're the only one who can feel it with your own body. What does it tell you? Maybe you just need to practice harder, or return to basics, and build up again?

I think moving away from image is the first step to making your kung fu more personal, and rewarding.

Yeah, I guess I shoudln't worry so much about body type. But I still would really like to know whether or not my legs, which are long in proportion to my body, would have any negative effect on my southern stancework/kicking. Also, is it a good idea to use infighting on people the same height as you and slightly shorter (I already know it is a bad idea to use it on people much shorter), or only on people who are taller? Thanks.

you're not tall at all. But I feel where you're coming from. I'm almost 5'10... like 5'9 and 3/4, but I have the reach of someone who is 6'1 - that's where the quote in my sig came from.

This is a good thing - you have a lower center of gravity, making you harder to take off of your feet, AND you have the necessary reach to keep people outside if necessary. It also aids in grappling and clinching.

Also, remember that you need to make your style your own - this will be done by you over time. For example, last week I( was teaching an application that required a kick to the midsection from everyone's general kicking range. There was a guy in class who had looong legs, so instead of the kick, I had him to knee.

Stick with what you're doing. If you find something that you feel your legs are compromising your technique on, then ask your sifu how you should handle it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm 6'4" doing short-hand, and I'm also long-legged (34" inside leg).

In order to make it work you have to stop trying to look like other practitioners of the style and do what works for you. If you're doing the tech wrong, dont blame it on your size, only when you do it right and it doesn't work, then look to personalizing it according to your body-shape. Weakness is not a consideration - if you're weak, that isn't a reason to change it.

Rgds,
    David

I don't know where all the size/shape stereotypes come from in kung fu. I'm 6'3", and I would consider myself pretty handy on the inside. You can be as short as you like, but if your sensitivity and reactivity aren't up to mine, you're gone. There are advantages to being taller/having longer arms, a proportionally smaller movement has greater effect, and your can open you opponent right up and still have your arms nowhere near straight, allowing you to flow from technique to technique.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Sure. tall people can be inflighters but will beter make use of their high kicks and long reach. If you short and nuggety you're better off taking afew hits and muscling in.

why bother just learn to walk away from the smaller infighter?or are you chicken.lol

Blog Entries
    Depends on what you mean by "infighters."

If your talking about knees, elbows, hips, headbutt and shoulders then yes.

I study Chen Taiji and its essentially infighting for big guys.

I also used to study Hung Gar and I didn't think that was quite as good for big guys.

Dig in

Don't worry about your size dude. I have been doing S. Styles as of '88 and I love it, I am 6'2" and over 250lbs. Size is what you make of it. Dig in, train hard and learn to use your gift of size as a tool.

Daniel
    www.ngfamilymuncie.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Don't worry about your size dude. I have been doing S. Styles as of '88 and I love it, I am 6'2" and over 250lbs. Size is what you make of it. Dig in, train hard and learn to use your gift of size as a tool.

Daniel
    www.ngfamilymuncie.com
    yes dig in, big people might be slower but they can take more hits.