Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset of a mantis fighter

Mindset of a mantis fighter

When thinking about Mantis fighting theory, regarding whatever your family or style is how is this skill applied and taught? Is it just something that was passed down from teacher to student? Or is it something that you personally have tried and true tested out for your self to see if you can actually execute the theories to all facets of your skills? What ever the theories of your style are in general, how have you applied them in a fighting situation?

Now I pass on what I know, I will explain that I’ve seen or heard it done this way and that is fine if you can do it. But I’ve only been successful with this. Or I’ve never actually used this outside of class. I bring this up from the 36 throws thread and the things said there regarding Single tactic fight ending blows. Aside from actual mantis fighting tactics, how are your tactics applied in combat?

This mindset was in my training from the beginning and from what I’m hearing I wonder if anyone else is doing the same or even have the same mind set. If not, why not? The ability to free fight and not be stuck in the rut of thinking out your fight is essential. I say this from experience in the ring and on the street. From first hand knowledge to seeing it, what you “think” is going to happen 9 times out of 10 isn’t going to happen so you better not get caught up in thinking that way. What happens when you get stumped? You get tunnel vision, you get flustered and start thinking “what am I going to do next” and “why did it happen like this” When you should be reacting in a positive way. These are the negative things that will eat you up in a confrontation, and further your chances of a losing battle.

Physical, mental, emotional control, the ability to keep these things in check will help you execute your tactics efficiently. Someone thinking about anything other than keeping control of these things will lead to openings for your opponent. This will start the downward spiral of physical, mental, and emotional control in the conflict and this is the beginning of the end for the fight. If you train right then your tactics will flow freely without having to think of what needs to be applied. This should be the goal of any fighter.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Smile Normal mind...

Hi Shirkers1,

Well, I am a firm believer of normal mind [re: relax and ready]. I also see both your approach and Youknowwho's. But personally, I am more inclined to agree with YKW.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    "Run down" your opponent is the hightest level of CMA principle. In PM term it's called, "When mantis attacks, it never turn it's head back". In order to do that, you have to devote a lots of time in your:

- Entering strategy
    - Baiting setup
    - Foot work
    - Throwing ability
    - Finish ability

Single tactic will make the fight "simple".

- He kicks you, you run him down.
    - He punches you, you run him down.
    - He does nothing, you still run him down.
    Similar idea to Sifu Lai's answer when someone asked, "Well, what do you do if your opponent does xyz?"

In all seriousness, he simply replied, "Kill him."

N.

right

YKW
    that is exactly what I'm saying... It's all part of the equation. Single tactic at a time is what I'm stressing, it's what you have a better chance at executing rather than thinking multiple moves ahead of the game. When the variables in a fight change with every move, so how can you possibly prepare for what is going to happen with 100% accuracy? Sure a single sucker punch to the throat could end the fight.... but what if you miss the target and then it's on...?

What you posted in the other thread is to know all the counters to what is going to be thrown etc so you can land the one fight ending tactic. You need this knowledge in the big picture, but you better not be thinking about that stuff during. It should be a point of action not thinking. I never said not to train your tactics individually or apply them individually. But to have the mind set that one punch one win will put you in the losing column. That's a fact... Training with your class mates regularly that know what you're going to do and know your flavor is one thing. Applying your training against someone with absolutely no skills/better skills that doesn't know you from adam is another story. When was the last time you were in a street fight? Hell it's been over a year for me, I'm no where near where I'd like to be fighting shape wise. Of coarse I don't think you can ever be too ready. My point is, if you knew me you'd know that I live the aggressive tactics when I fight. But you get it done you don't worry about variables in a fight. You train and execute when the time alows it. You can plan how things are going to work till the cows come home, but I gurantee those "plans" will change when it hits the fan.

Winning or losing a fight makes a big difference if you're the loser who is on his way to the hospital. I spoke to the mind set of walking away learning something even if you are the loser, taking a positive from a negative. But the bottom line is no one wants to be the guy on the bottom getting his face kicked in. So don't tell me winning or losing doesn't matter. Or you wouldn't be fighting in the first place. Why fight if you have nothing to gain or lose? Why train an aggressive fighting style like mantis if you don't think you're going to have to use it?
    Last edited by shirkers1; 06-04-2005 at 12:17 AM.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    good morning gentlemen, i think some terminology is used interchangebly when specific definitions of each one should be agreed upon:

Strategy - overall plan or idea on how you want to accomplish a goal.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=strategy

Tactic - smaller, shorter term methods of implementing the overall strategy

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tactic

Techniques - specific movements within the tactics

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=technique

Skill - how good you are at the above three.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=skill
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by -N-
    Similar idea to Sifu Lai's answer when someone asked, "Well, what do you do if your opponent does xyz?"

In all seriousness, he simply replied, "Kill him."

N.

If you did this against me,...You would already be dead!

LOL!

Wonderful man.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

hi shirker1.
    now don't throw a wobbly here .
    BUT 7* MANTIS THAT I HAVE DONE FOR A FEW YEARS COMPARED TO SOME ON THIS FORUM WHO HAVE DONE ALOT LONGER.
    MAY AGREE WITH ME HERE.
    IT IS A DEFENCIVE STYLE.
    look if you see most of our attacking moves come from defencive moves.
    SO I SAY TO YOU HERE I MYSELF THINK YOU ARE WRONG IN SAYING VERY AGRESSIVE.

regards holymantis

:)

Holymantis

Defence is offense in mantis. Hence aggressive, and mantis to me is very aggressive in every aspect. Dictating action in the fight. When I say I am aggressive I mean I don't give up. You can be beaten physically but mentally be willing to go on and that can be enough to get you over the hump. I will keep going until I can't go any more. So your one punch wonder may not be what it takes to finish me. So you better be willing to go the extra mile. That is the mindset you should have facing any one. So when I said I'm very aggressive I was right not wrong. I'm aggressive in how I use my mantis, mantis is an aggressive fighting art. So I know that you don't know me and have never seen me fight so you are speaking to what you "think" you know. I'm glad you have your opinion and that is great. I hear ya but I don't agree.

In closing I'm not upset at all. I'm sitting here laughing at how blind some people are. I pm'd mantid 1 the same thing: "I train because it's what I like to do and out of the need to be a good fighter growing up. You can have your talk and theories. My question still stands, when was the last time you were in a fight against someone other than your classmates? Don't answer here answer yourself in your mind.... It is an important point that what you think is going to work and what you know is going to work is a reality that you will come to know quickly if you're not careful. The only person you need to ask that question and answer is yourself. That is the point that I'm trying to make."

When you throw out little digs like don't get all wobbly, expect to get a response from me. That is my forte, I like the banter. To me discussing issues is fun, showing up face to face and playing around is fun, not hiding behind a made up name on a computer. But hey I'm young, only 30 years old, been training in mantis for over 14 years, like to call people by their first name, give respect where respect is given, so yeah maybe I don't understand how you go about your way of living. frankly I don't see any use in it. Did I prove any more points for you other than I'm an ass? I'm not talking about knowing who did what when and where in mantis... that is politics.... Who is right? Doesn't matter, I really don't care about the details of mantis history. That's not going to help you when someone is trying to eat your face off in the street. What are you going to be able to apply in a fight and why. That is what matters in the end, not politics, not age, not forum names, not witty banter. Do you know deep down that what you are training is going to work the majority of the time when it matters most?
    Last edited by shirkers1; 06-04-2005 at 12:18 PM.

!

Why does this always have to turn into a whose right or wrong deal? Or posts where people are attacking the writers instead of the ideas. I know what works for me and that is all that matters. It may not work for you, it may if you're open to it. Same goes for me, I'd like to see a different view.

Just post what you feel should be the mindset of a mantis fighter during an altercation and that's it. It's simple. Don't throw out digs at each other, no smart ass comments directed at an individual then the information can be said and that's it. My original post didn't mention names it mentioned situations. How one should look at those situations and how I deal with them. Now agree or don't that is up to you. Add your own Ideas as to why one should or shouldn't think this way. It's that easy guys.

hi shirker1
    WELL PUT .
    LONG AND WINDED.
    YES I KNOW AND CAN DO MANTIS.
    DONE THE FIGHT'S
    BEEN WHERE YOU ARE .
    GOT THROUGH THAT I'M IT YOUR **** THINKING .
    AND NOW LOVING MY 7* MANTIS FOR THE ART.
    WE LIVE IN A WORLD WERE WE CANNOT GO AROUND KICKING THE DAYLIGHT'S OUT OF ANYONE AND EVERY ONE.
    like i said BEEN WHERE YOU ARE .
    and now well beyond your level of thinking about mantis .
    so live long and prosper young shirkers1

Talking So....

Okay, time to group hug?

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

:)

YKW

"We may talk about the same thing but say it differently" I agree

'holymantis"

exactly what I was just saying. Respond to the topic of the thread and not attack the person writing.

Relaxation and speed are the two most important things. If you can relax in a fight and speed up you will win.Mantis works best with relaxation and speed.It is very yin/yang in this regard.In lots of sparring practice in a small space you can learn to relax.
    phoenixdog

Good point phoenixdog... This point works on all levels whether in the street or in the ring.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I'm still working on the mantis mind, I think.

7 years of hung gar and 13 years of other stuff compared to not yet 2 years of mantis makes me not a mantis fighter yet.

but, as I talk about in the 'sparring note' thread, I finally got into some feeling of the right thing friday.

SO:

constant movement, mostly forward, hands never stop moving

side to side waist jing with most circles

vertical spinal jing with the verticle circles like LKW{edit: good lord, I meant YKW } talked about.

Brandon Lai's favor move was a 7 strikes sequence that covers clockwise circle, counter clockwise circle, and verticle circle. Very fast and no matter what you do. His blocking hand will take over your blocking hand and that allow his striking continue (switch hands concept).
    that's exactly what I was doing with one set of combinations (I'm NOT, of course, saying I do it like BL )

the karate guys had a hard time dealing with that. I think they could but their sport venue training doesn't emphasize continual attacking. they do combinations of 2-4 but always exit after the last technique due to the scoring method.
    Last edited by Oso; 06-06-2005 at 07:29 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"