Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mindset of a mantis fighter

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    I'll bite.....

Yeah this is the crap you're getting from me... Just returning the favor.
    Shirkers1 guess what: it's raining. D@mn I pi$$ed on myself (you're me remember)

ugh oh.... :(

I've met my match!!!!

or my equal.....
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

the absolute essential of any form of combat is the maintenance of the initiative.
    to wait and see what happens or to guess a sequence of events or even to react to events causes the loss of the initiative and thus the inability to command the confrontation. I guess to make the issue plain i will say it is up to the Mantis combatant to dictate the course of the short confrontation. Always give and continue to give until he abrupt end. Action is alwys faster than reaction, placing the victim into your web is your goal. not trying to figure out what they are doing. they must be the onr to ponder as they are defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    the absolute essential of any form of combat is the maintenance of the initiative.
    to wait and see what happens or to guess a sequence of events or even to react to events causes the loss of the initiative and thus the inability to command the confrontation. I guess to make the issue plain i will say it is up to the Mantis combatant to dictate the course of the short confrontation. Always give and continue to give until he abrupt end. Action is alwys faster than reaction, placing the victim into your web is your goal. not trying to figure out what they are doing. they must be the onr to ponder as they are defeated.
    I disagree. first thing is to use monkey step to hop out of the way and snatch the punch with the mantis claw.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    I disagree. first thing is to use monkey step to hop out of the way and snatch the punch with the mantis claw.
    This seems correct, but I really really disagree.

When striking, I know where I am striking, at what speed and where I am going to strike. I am in control. The defender is working to maintain the speed (fast or slow) in which I attack.

When on the defensive, I do not know what type of strike to expect, I don't know where it is coming from, and I have to figure that out before I can react appropriately. Quite simply to be on the defensive and win you have to be a far better fighter than your opponent. Sure I can predict the move before it is throw(the only way to beat an equal fighter) but that doesn't always work. As you stated you would snatch a punch, what makes you think the opponent will punch first? How do you know that first punch wasn't a faint to get you to hop, so that you would be easy picking for a leg sweep. What if the opponent punches slower than you are used to, you will attempt to snatch before the arm even arrives at your predicted location.

If you wait to see what your attacker does, to pick your moves, you have to work harder than the attacker does. If you want to win easily, attack, attack, attack; Don't stop until the opponent can't fight back.

staying on-topic,....

I agree with Sifu Darkfist & Iman on this one. Even if the other guy _does_ punch first, my goal is not to defend but counter-attack immediately.

"Originally Posted by Vasquez
    I disagree. first thing is to use monkey step to hop out of the way and snatch the punch with the mantis claw."

Yeah,...thats a begining...but then what?? With that opener, after snatching the arm with diu sao, change the grip into a fung, twist it & break the arm with the other hand via pec-choy.....then just keep on beating untill I choose to stop.

Out of curiosity, why do you disagree Vasquez?? Do you not think mantis practitioners should maintain the initiative?? Or did you just not understand what Dark Sifu actually said??
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

i am impressed with the forummers i have read since my (better late than never) stumbling upon this site. It seems that we have some true Mantis practioners as well as experts among the patrons of this gift to the martial artist. It is up to those that Know to make sure they give freely to those that are willing to put forth a maximum effort in achieving their martial skills.
    However in all of my years of training and teaching (esp the teaching years) i have learned that as socrates said the "wise man is the one who Knows he Knows NOTHING". For it is he that has the innate ability to move freely on the battlefield without preconceived notions holding him at bay. He can look upon the threat as it is without assumptions that lead to an early retirement.
    Anyway i am HONORED to be among all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Iman01
    This seems correct, but I really really disagree.

When striking, I know where I am striking, at what speed and where I am going to strike. I am in control. The defender is working to maintain the speed (fast or slow) in which I attack.

When on the defensive, I do not know what type of strike to expect, I don't know where it is coming from, and I have to figure that out before I can react appropriately. Quite simply to be on the defensive and win you have to be a far better fighter than your opponent. Sure I can predict the move before it is throw(the only way to beat an equal fighter) but that doesn't always work. As you stated you would snatch a punch, what makes you think the opponent will punch first? How do you know that first punch wasn't a faint to get you to hop, so that you would be easy picking for a leg sweep. What if the opponent punches slower than you are used to, you will attempt to snatch before the arm even arrives at your predicted location.

If you wait to see what your attacker does, to pick your moves, you have to work harder than the attacker does. If you want to win easily, attack, attack, attack; Don't stop until the opponent can't fight back.
    Mantis teaches you precise pressure point strikes -why scrap like a novice LOL

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    Mantis teaches you precise pressure point strikes -why scrap like a novice LOL
    LOL, you are such a treat to talk to; devils advocate much?

hmm where did anyone suggest scrapping like a novice?
    Highly skilled mantis practioners can attack at combat speed and hit anything they want just as those that sit back and wait can.
    To assume that just because you cannot do it does not mean it cannot be done

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    hmm where did anyone suggest scrapping like a novice?
    Highly skilled mantis practioners can attack at combat speed and hit anything they want just as those that sit back and wait can.
    To assume that just because you cannot do it does not mean it cannot be done
    That Iman guy who just says keep hitting and hitting and hitting. good dm skill will save you alot of grief and effort.

Did you read about that troll that keeps stating things that he knows are wrong just to get people to reply to him?