Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset of a mantis fighter

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    When thinking about Mantis fighting theory, regarding whatever your family or style is how is this skill applied and taught? Is it just something that was passed down from teacher to student? Or is it something that you personally have tried and true tested out for your self to see if you can actually execute the theories to all facets of your skills? What ever the theories of your style are in general, how have you applied them in a fighting situation?

Now I pass on what I know, I will explain that I’ve seen or heard it done this way and that is fine if you can do it. But I’ve only been successful with this. Or I’ve never actually used this outside of class. I bring this up from the 36 throws thread and the things said there regarding Single tactic fight ending blows. Aside from actual mantis fighting tactics, how are your tactics applied in combat?

This mindset was in my training from the beginning and from what I’m hearing I wonder if anyone else is doing the same or even have the same mind set. If not, why not? The ability to free fight and not be stuck in the rut of thinking out your fight is essential. I say this from experience in the ring and on the street. From first hand knowledge to seeing it, what you “think” is going to happen 9 times out of 10 isn’t going to happen so you better not get caught up in thinking that way. What happens when you get stumped? You get tunnel vision, you get flustered and start thinking “what am I going to do next” and “why did it happen like this” When you should be reacting in a positive way. These are the negative things that will eat you up in a confrontation, and further your chances of a losing battle.

Physical, mental, emotional control, the ability to keep these things in check will help you execute your tactics efficiently. Someone thinking about anything other than keeping control of these things will lead to openings for your opponent. This will start the downward spiral of physical, mental, and emotional control in the conflict and this is the beginning of the end for the fight. If you train right then your tactics will flow freely without having to think of what needs to be applied. This should be the goal of any fighter.
    cool sounds like kick boxing to me.

kick boxing

Vasquez
    Being that I wasn't talking about what tactics are used and just the mindset in a general sense, ANY fighter should be thinking that way.... in my opinion. So I don't think it sounds like any style per se, this is the thinking you should apply to your style. It's what surrounds your applying of tactics in a fight. We've gotten a few here of how specifically a mantis guy applies his thinking in a tactical fighting sense. Lets get some more.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

To be a warrior in combat is to be of the mindset to destroy the enemy by cutting him down with the up most resolve and conviction. Do not hesitate or waver in your quest to defeat the enemy at all cost. Do not stop until you have defeated them completely.
    This is the concept behind “The Book of the Five Rings” to defeat the enemy without thought or fear. You have one goal and the enemy has the same you most be stronger and if you feel you may be out matched in strength or technique then you must have a larger sprite. There is no right or wrong only standing and laying on the ground.

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

shirkers

part of the mind set is the process of your training. Look for an upcoming article in inside kung fu(in the works now), to help understand the process

:)

Hey 18 hope all is well out there. I'll keep my eye open for it, thanks.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

let's not forget that there is a difference between thought and anticipation...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    let's not forget that there is a difference between thought and anticipation...
    Anticipation: When you react subconsciously to small details your active mind didn't catch. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

A big part of my early training in hung gar under my first teacher was making sure anticipation was more often good than bad.

a good point, Seven, what's your definition?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

pretty much the same as yours, but I dunno if it's limited only to what the active mind didn't catch. I would also add a second definition of getting too far ahead of your opponent - you anticipate he's gonna throw one thing, and he ends up throwing another - which is what shirkers referred to, when he was talking about thinking too much.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I keep 'anticipation' strictly as a subconsciously derived motivation behind and action.

I would describe your second definition as 'overthinking'.

To me, basic choice of positioning is what you use to limit the number of possible attacks. i.e. if I'm outside of his left arm and have some control over that arm and thus his body, then attacks from his right arm a more limited and I can spend less processor time on that arm.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

agreed. we talk about that in class. I can slip to the inside - it's easier - but I prefer to go outside, so that I can zone off the other side of his body.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    Vasquez
    Being that I wasn't talking about what tactics are used and just the mindset in a general sense, ANY fighter should be thinking that way.... in my opinion. So I don't think it sounds like any style per se, this is the thinking you should apply to your style. It's what surrounds your applying of tactics in a fight. We've gotten a few here of how specifically a mantis guy applies his thinking in a tactical fighting sense. Lets get some more.
    different styles use different tactics. I can imagine mantis snatching at the arms and doing quick jabs and pressure point strikes when you're advance. i won't expect that from hung gar which is a far more solid style.

he's not talking about tactics...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

mindset

The tactics must fit the mindset. For example, mantis tactics would not work for the aikido mindset. If you think about the insect,the mindset is the classic "patience and speed". The opponent can attack first, but you don't care because your tactics can deal with that.The rapid changes in mantis techiques impart speed not to you but speed against your opponent.The other part of the mantis mindset will never work in friendly sparring, only in self defense combat.It is number one of the eight hard methods.The method is the mindset.
    phoenixdog

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdog
    The tactics must fit the mindset. For example, mantis tactics would not work for the aikido mindset. If you think about the insect,the mindset is the classic "patience and speed". The opponent can attack first, but you don't care because your tactics can deal with that.The rapid changes in mantis techiques impart speed not to you but speed against your opponent.The other part of the mantis mindset will never work in friendly sparring, only in self defense combat.It is number one of the eight hard methods.The method is the mindset.
    LOL you can't actually train the practical applications in mantis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    LOL you can't actually train the practical applications in mantis.

then how do you know they work?