Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset of a mantis fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    then how do you know they work?
    mantis has over 50 forms. you practice the forms until they become second nature.

You can train the forms all day long every single day, but that isn't necessarily going to enable you to do all the applications from the forms. It's going to make you good at your forms. Things change when you have to use the techniques on a person, especially one that is a resisting opponent. Forms are important, certainly. But expecting to be able to pull off all your techniques on a person solely because of forms work? Good luck.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    mantis has over 50 forms. you practice the forms until they become second nature.

sweet! then I can stop all this sparring that makes me sore as a muther.

thanks!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I think the characteristics of your form will direct you to the mindset of your given style. It is all in how you practice your forms. If you are just going through the motions then your not getting anything out of it. If you practice with the intensity of being in a fight then you should understand your techniques better. I have been beat up enough in the past to know what intensity feels like. Bottom line Mantis is a very intense style, attaching straight in or side to side, it should be very aggressive. The technique makes up the mindset that drives the intensity to attack in the Mantis manner, so to speak. The movements drive you through your opponent, shredding them. No doubt it has a lot more to do with the individual then the given style. With time, even someone who just practices forms all day will develop some sense of the mindset of their given style. IMO!!! Which counts for very little round here

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Bu
    You can train the forms all day long every single day, but that isn't necessarily going to enable you to do all the applications from the forms. It's going to make you good at your forms. Things change when you have to use the techniques on a person, especially one that is a resisting opponent. Forms are important, certainly. But expecting to be able to pull off all your techniques on a person solely because of forms work? Good luck.
    you just have to drill in hours of form work each day.

vasquez

forms are only a part of the training. there are hidding moves in the forms that u are not going to do by just learning a form. Also many more advanced usages from the individual move from a form. YOu have to be taught these and drill them.
    You will not learn how to use your mantis techniques without applying them in a 2 person environmnet.

why does a boxer have a sparring partner??
    why not just shadow box and then go fight?

lol

vasquez

I was going to leave this alone because I thought you were joking at first but your responses have shown that you weren't joking at all. The other guys have covered pretty well what needs to be said. Your responses are the reason I started this thread. Part of the mindset is knowing how to fight, and doing just forms all day till they become second nature will make you look good in a forms comp. But when you step up to a "fighter" sorry about your luck. Perfect example rage in the cage last night a "kung fu master" from a local wongs school here in phoenix jumped in there with a sloppy freestyle fighter. Although the freestyle fighter wasn't impressive the kung fu guy froze like a statue and just laid there while the other guy slapped him into submission. It was sad. This is what happens when you don't spar and you "think" you can do what you are training.

If you are saying train the forms till they are second nature will help you be better fighter, then you better be saying "drilling" two man drills from the forms. On top of that drilling them in a free form situation. Then that statement will have merit.

Being from a boxing background 18elders made a great point. You have a guy who is a master at technique who hits the mits and bags for years and is perfect in how he looks and delivers his tactics but never spars or steps into the ring against another fighter. Then there is the guy who does little bag and mit work but spars 70% of the time..... I guarantee the guy who spars will wipe the floor with the perfect technical fighter 99.9% of the time (anyone can get lucky that's why the other .%). There is no fighting sensitivity trained into the other guy. He simply won't know what to do because he doesn't have fighting sensitivity.
    Last edited by shirkers1; 06-12-2005 at 02:03 PM.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    vasquez

I was going to leave this alone because I thought you were joking at first but your responses have shown that you weren't joking at all. The other guys have covered pretty well what needs to be said. Your responses are the reason I started this thread. Part of the mindset is knowing how to fight, and doing just forms all day till they become second nature will make you look good in a forms comp. But when you step up to a "fighter" sorry about your luck. Perfect example rage in the cage last night a "kung fu master" from a local wongs school here in phoenix jumped in there with a sloppy freestyle fighter. Although the freestyle fighter wasn't impressive the kung fu guy froze like a statue and just laid there while the other guy slapped him into submission. It was sad. This is what happens when you don't spar and you "think" you can do what you are training.

If you are saying train the forms till they are second nature will help you be better fighter, then you better be saying "drilling" two man drills from the forms. On top of that drilling them in a free form situation. Then that statement will have merit.

Being from a boxing background 18elders made a great point. You have a guy who is a master at technique who hits the mits and bags for years and is perfect in how he looks and delivers his tactics but never spars or steps into the ring against another fighter. Then there is the guy who does little bag and mit work but spars 70% of the time..... I guarantee the guy who spars will wipe the floor with the perfect technical fighter 99.9% of the time (anyone can get lucky that's why the other .%). There is no fighting sensitivity trained into the other guy. He simply won't know what to do because he doesn't have fighting sensitivity.
    you can't actually spar with kung fu. going into a boxing match with kung fu is difficult because you have to think of what you can't do because of the rules.

i'm pretty sure he's trolling.
    and not very well at that.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

you just have to drill in hours of form work each day.
    Oh...well, in that case, everybody had best look out for me, because I just became REALLY hardcore. BEWARE!!

Should save me a lot of time, too. Now that those useless applications...conditioning drills...ji ben gong...stance training...and countless drills are pretty pointless.

L. O. L.

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Bu
    Oh...well, in that case, everybody had best look out for me, because I just became REALLY hardcore. BEWARE!!

Should save me a lot of time, too. Now that those useless applications...conditioning drills...ji ben gong...stance training...and countless drills are pretty pointless.

L. O. L.
    bottom line, mindset for a ring contest is different from real self defence. rules matter.

trolling or not...

bottom line, mindset for a ring contest is different from real self defence. rules matter.
    I don't agree it's the bottom line.

A ring contest is different but it's the only place you can ethically get the pressure testing that is required to know that YOU (screw the techniques, techniqes don't have heart) can function when someone is trying to pound your face in.

Rules matter for sure because they are designed to keep you coming back into the ring so you can keep getting better at handling the pressure.

Nope. The techniques and their targets might be different, but in the end, I am going to look at my opponent as someone I am going to crush. Period. No, I won't rip out his testicles, or gouge out his eyes, or break his arm, but ultimately, those "limitations" aren't enough to make a substantial difference in the way I fight the person, since the fact that I know how to eye gouge, strike testicles, and break arms isn't the be all end all of fighting for me; I wouldn't use those techniques, or aim at those targets unless I needed to. My mindset will be identical.

:)

Vasquez I feel sorry for you.

Sometimes I wish I could wake up and be as naïve and not have a clue. But then I’d still be trying to form chi balls to fling at my opponents, and that just takes to much time and energy. Well you keep on doing what you do bro, it’s kept you out of trouble so far. Oh well maybe he knows something we don’t guys.

To live in a fantasy world may just be what everyone here needs to do...
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

:)

I agree that you can't go into a boxing ring and do this stuff, which is why I quit boxing... The point of bringing up boxing is that the way they "TRAIN". They spar and fight, they just don't hit a bag or shadow box.

I put up a perfect example of a "kung fu" guy (I use that term with hesitation) stepped into a rage in the cage match that I just saw friday night and couldn't do a single thing against a not so good oponent. Yes there are limitations but you can at least strike someone any where you want pretty much, and he couldn't even do that!!!! Why? Because he froze in the heat of battle and just laid there why the other guy SLAPPED him into submition!!!

My X roommate was learning iron palm and wing chun from a book.... I use to try to get him to train with me all the time and tried to guide him from doing what he was doing. I told him the same things that are being said here but he would have none of it. But he was just out there and wouldn't listen.... Well after disrespecting me many times, and just some screwy issues with my house, money, personal things we came to a head and I confronted him on these things and he wanted to fight me. He was training on his own and was ready for me.... So I took him up on his offer, sadly he tried his "mighty palm" tactics that he learned from his book. Well that didn't help him much when he couldn't hit me and his head was bouncing off of the tile floor and it sure didn't help him much when I dragged him outside by his underwear and hair and threw him into the cactus in my front yard.