Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mindset of a mantis fighter

Hybrid View

Mindset of a mantis fighter

When thinking about Mantis fighting theory, regarding whatever your family or style is how is this skill applied and taught? Is it just something that was passed down from teacher to student? Or is it something that you personally have tried and true tested out for your self to see if you can actually execute the theories to all facets of your skills? What ever the theories of your style are in general, how have you applied them in a fighting situation?

Now I pass on what I know, I will explain that I’ve seen or heard it done this way and that is fine if you can do it. But I’ve only been successful with this. Or I’ve never actually used this outside of class. I bring this up from the 36 throws thread and the things said there regarding Single tactic fight ending blows. Aside from actual mantis fighting tactics, how are your tactics applied in combat?

This mindset was in my training from the beginning and from what I’m hearing I wonder if anyone else is doing the same or even have the same mind set. If not, why not? The ability to free fight and not be stuck in the rut of thinking out your fight is essential. I say this from experience in the ring and on the street. From first hand knowledge to seeing it, what you “think” is going to happen 9 times out of 10 isn’t going to happen so you better not get caught up in thinking that way. What happens when you get stumped? You get tunnel vision, you get flustered and start thinking “what am I going to do next” and “why did it happen like this” When you should be reacting in a positive way. These are the negative things that will eat you up in a confrontation, and further your chances of a losing battle.

Physical, mental, emotional control, the ability to keep these things in check will help you execute your tactics efficiently. Someone thinking about anything other than keeping control of these things will lead to openings for your opponent. This will start the downward spiral of physical, mental, and emotional control in the conflict and this is the beginning of the end for the fight. If you train right then your tactics will flow freely without having to think of what needs to be applied. This should be the goal of any fighter.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Smile Normal mind...

Hi Shirkers1,

Well, I am a firm believer of normal mind [re: relax and ready]. I also see both your approach and Youknowwho's. But personally, I am more inclined to agree with YKW.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    When thinking about Mantis fighting theory, regarding whatever your family or style is how is this skill applied and taught? Is it just something that was passed down from teacher to student? Or is it something that you personally have tried and true tested out for your self to see if you can actually execute the theories to all facets of your skills? What ever the theories of your style are in general, how have you applied them in a fighting situation?

Now I pass on what I know, I will explain that I’ve seen or heard it done this way and that is fine if you can do it. But I’ve only been successful with this. Or I’ve never actually used this outside of class. I bring this up from the 36 throws thread and the things said there regarding Single tactic fight ending blows. Aside from actual mantis fighting tactics, how are your tactics applied in combat?

This mindset was in my training from the beginning and from what I’m hearing I wonder if anyone else is doing the same or even have the same mind set. If not, why not? The ability to free fight and not be stuck in the rut of thinking out your fight is essential. I say this from experience in the ring and on the street. From first hand knowledge to seeing it, what you “think” is going to happen 9 times out of 10 isn’t going to happen so you better not get caught up in thinking that way. What happens when you get stumped? You get tunnel vision, you get flustered and start thinking “what am I going to do next” and “why did it happen like this” When you should be reacting in a positive way. These are the negative things that will eat you up in a confrontation, and further your chances of a losing battle.

Physical, mental, emotional control, the ability to keep these things in check will help you execute your tactics efficiently. Someone thinking about anything other than keeping control of these things will lead to openings for your opponent. This will start the downward spiral of physical, mental, and emotional control in the conflict and this is the beginning of the end for the fight. If you train right then your tactics will flow freely without having to think of what needs to be applied. This should be the goal of any fighter.
    cool sounds like kick boxing to me.

kick boxing

Vasquez
    Being that I wasn't talking about what tactics are used and just the mindset in a general sense, ANY fighter should be thinking that way.... in my opinion. So I don't think it sounds like any style per se, this is the thinking you should apply to your style. It's what surrounds your applying of tactics in a fight. We've gotten a few here of how specifically a mantis guy applies his thinking in a tactical fighting sense. Lets get some more.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

To be a warrior in combat is to be of the mindset to destroy the enemy by cutting him down with the up most resolve and conviction. Do not hesitate or waver in your quest to defeat the enemy at all cost. Do not stop until you have defeated them completely.
    This is the concept behind “The Book of the Five Rings” to defeat the enemy without thought or fear. You have one goal and the enemy has the same you most be stronger and if you feel you may be out matched in strength or technique then you must have a larger sprite. There is no right or wrong only standing and laying on the ground.

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

shirkers

part of the mind set is the process of your training. Look for an upcoming article in inside kung fu(in the works now), to help understand the process

:)

Hey 18 hope all is well out there. I'll keep my eye open for it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    Vasquez
    Being that I wasn't talking about what tactics are used and just the mindset in a general sense, ANY fighter should be thinking that way.... in my opinion. So I don't think it sounds like any style per se, this is the thinking you should apply to your style. It's what surrounds your applying of tactics in a fight. We've gotten a few here of how specifically a mantis guy applies his thinking in a tactical fighting sense. Lets get some more.
    different styles use different tactics. I can imagine mantis snatching at the arms and doing quick jabs and pressure point strikes when you're advance. i won't expect that from hung gar which is a far more solid style.

he's not talking about tactics...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

mindset

The tactics must fit the mindset. For example, mantis tactics would not work for the aikido mindset. If you think about the insect,the mindset is the classic "patience and speed". The opponent can attack first, but you don't care because your tactics can deal with that.The rapid changes in mantis techiques impart speed not to you but speed against your opponent.The other part of the mantis mindset will never work in friendly sparring, only in self defense combat.It is number one of the eight hard methods.The method is the mindset.
    phoenixdog

the absolute essential of any form of combat is the maintenance of the initiative.
    to wait and see what happens or to guess a sequence of events or even to react to events causes the loss of the initiative and thus the inability to command the confrontation. I guess to make the issue plain i will say it is up to the Mantis combatant to dictate the course of the short confrontation. Always give and continue to give until he abrupt end. Action is alwys faster than reaction, placing the victim into your web is your goal. not trying to figure out what they are doing. they must be the onr to ponder as they are defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    the absolute essential of any form of combat is the maintenance of the initiative.
    to wait and see what happens or to guess a sequence of events or even to react to events causes the loss of the initiative and thus the inability to command the confrontation. I guess to make the issue plain i will say it is up to the Mantis combatant to dictate the course of the short confrontation. Always give and continue to give until he abrupt end. Action is alwys faster than reaction, placing the victim into your web is your goal. not trying to figure out what they are doing. they must be the onr to ponder as they are defeated.
    I disagree. first thing is to use monkey step to hop out of the way and snatch the punch with the mantis claw.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    I disagree. first thing is to use monkey step to hop out of the way and snatch the punch with the mantis claw.
    This seems correct, but I really really disagree.

When striking, I know where I am striking, at what speed and where I am going to strike. I am in control. The defender is working to maintain the speed (fast or slow) in which I attack.

When on the defensive, I do not know what type of strike to expect, I don't know where it is coming from, and I have to figure that out before I can react appropriately. Quite simply to be on the defensive and win you have to be a far better fighter than your opponent. Sure I can predict the move before it is throw(the only way to beat an equal fighter) but that doesn't always work. As you stated you would snatch a punch, what makes you think the opponent will punch first? How do you know that first punch wasn't a faint to get you to hop, so that you would be easy picking for a leg sweep. What if the opponent punches slower than you are used to, you will attempt to snatch before the arm even arrives at your predicted location.

If you wait to see what your attacker does, to pick your moves, you have to work harder than the attacker does. If you want to win easily, attack, attack, attack; Don't stop until the opponent can't fight back.

staying on-topic,....

I agree with Sifu Darkfist & Iman on this one. Even if the other guy _does_ punch first, my goal is not to defend but counter-attack immediately.

"Originally Posted by Vasquez
    I disagree. first thing is to use monkey step to hop out of the way and snatch the punch with the mantis claw."

Yeah,...thats a begining...but then what?? With that opener, after snatching the arm with diu sao, change the grip into a fung, twist it & break the arm with the other hand via pec-choy.....then just keep on beating untill I choose to stop.

Out of curiosity, why do you disagree Vasquez?? Do you not think mantis practitioners should maintain the initiative?? Or did you just not understand what Dark Sifu actually said??
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

i am impressed with the forummers i have read since my (better late than never) stumbling upon this site. It seems that we have some true Mantis practioners as well as experts among the patrons of this gift to the martial artist. It is up to those that Know to make sure they give freely to those that are willing to put forth a maximum effort in achieving their martial skills.
    However in all of my years of training and teaching (esp the teaching years) i have learned that as socrates said the "wise man is the one who Knows he Knows NOTHING". For it is he that has the innate ability to move freely on the battlefield without preconceived notions holding him at bay. He can look upon the threat as it is without assumptions that lead to an early retirement.
    Anyway i am HONORED to be among all of you.