Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset of a mantis fighter

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    I agree that you can't go into a boxing ring and do this stuff, which is why I quit boxing... The point of bringing up boxing is that the way they "TRAIN". They spar and fight, they just don't hit a bag or shadow box.

I put up a perfect example of a "kung fu" guy (I use that term with hesitation) stepped into a rage in the cage match that I just saw friday night and couldn't do a single thing against a not so good oponent. Yes there are limitations but you can at least strike someone any where you want pretty much, and he couldn't even do that!!!! Why? Because he froze in the heat of battle and just laid there why the other guy SLAPPED him into submition!!!

My X roommate was learning iron palm and wing chun from a book.... I use to try to get him to train with me all the time and tried to guide him from doing what he was doing. I told him the same things that are being said here but he would have none of it. But he was just out there and wouldn't listen.... Well after disrespecting me many times, and just some screwy issues with my house, money, personal things we came to a head and I confronted him on these things and he wanted to fight me. He was training on his own and was ready for me.... So I took him up on his offer, sadly he tried his "mighty palm" tactics that he learned from his book. Well that didn't help him much when he couldn't hit me and his head was bouncing off of the tile floor and it sure didn't help him much when I dragged him outside by his underwear and hair and threw him into the cactus in my front yard.
    there're still rules in the cage match. It's not like you can kick someone in the nuts. In self defence - you would use eyes, throat, ball that sota striking pattern. Of course you can't learn iron palm from a book. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    there're still rules in the cage match. It's not like you can kick someone in the nuts. In self defence - you would use eyes, throat, ball that sota striking pattern. Of course you can't learn iron palm from a book. LOL
    Vasqezzzzzzz,.......what do you mean you cannot use your kungfu in a ring??

You cannot hit, trap kick, throw or knock them out??
    Maybe you just couldn't do it to begin with.

I can use mine just fine even with "rules".
    If you cannot hit someone with enough control without hitting their "eyes, throat or ball s" ...you have a LONG time to train.

Training forms will teach you transitions, series attacks & if you pay close attention, fighting theory....but mostly trianing forms just teaches you to train forms.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by BeiTangLang
    Vasqezzzzzzz,.......what do you mean you cannot use your kungfu in a ring??

You cannot hit, trap kick, throw or knock them out??
    Maybe you just couldn't do it to begin with.

I can use mine just fine even with "rules".
    If you cannot hit someone with enough control without hitting their "eyes, throat or ball s" ...you have a LONG time to train.

Training forms will teach you transitions, series attacks & if you pay close attention, fighting theory....but mostly trianing forms just teaches you to train forms.
    It's not like you can use pheonix eye fist, or strikes from CLF. so you mean in the ring all kung fu is the same!!!!!

So many valid points. I think I’m going to give up the kung fu and train in the true art of fighting… Hokey!!! That is if they ever bring it back.

fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

It's not like you can use pheonix eye fist, or strikes from CLF. so you mean in the ring all kung fu is the same!!!!!

So,..if you cannot pluck someones eye out or kill them, kung fu has no fighting value....

LOL! ROFLMAO! TTTTTRRRROOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

(Back to our regularly scheduled program of mantis)
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

hockey.... & mantis

hey frogman, mantis works well in hockey. Those guys had the hardest time with me. The short power and jerks were tailor made for in close fighting. The trick was to constantly jerk the other guy off balance so you could get the first couple blows in then it was a another day in the park from there. The grabbing behind the neck and jerking toward you then thrusting forward with your bicep hitting them in the face was a nice breaker as well. Screw squaring off and taking a million shots to the face. They looked at me like a skinny kid at first then after my first mid season here the guys started thinking twice....sometimes three times before squaring off.

Oh they've worked out a deal for the next season, so there will be hockey next year. I work (worked) part time for the coyotes promotional staff. So I have a few inside sources.

Vasquez come on now brother. You can't be that naive..... I think you've been hit in the head by one too many abo's trying to bum a cig.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

It's not like you can use pheonix eye fist
    Yes you can.

yes you can. the only prohibited stiking weapon is generally the head.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Actually, in the first couple of UFCs, you COULD eye gouge - and nobody lost an eye, although some people were gouged. It would result in the fighter receiving a fine and a loss of a point, but if he won the fight, he would still advance.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I don't care who you are no one is 100% accurate on their strikes because of all the variables involved.. (movement of both parties etc). Why can't you use Choy strkes? What like panther head fists or something? Why wouldn't you? The point is maybe why would you? Why risk breaking something hitting someone when you don't need to.... That padded fist that is protecting your knuckle more than the other guys body will do the trick well enough...

Quick question... Why is head butting not allowd and elbows are. Is it because the striker could be injured if he strikes wrong. I'm sorry but elbows (which should be used more in my opinion) are way more damaging to the oponent than a head but.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

(mantis....mantis....mantis....)
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    Quick question... Why is head butting not allowd and elbows are. Is it because the striker could be injured if he strikes wrong. I'm sorry but elbows (which should be used more in my opinion) are way more damaging to the oponent than a head but.

the skull is harder than the elbow and is most commonly aimed straight forward - directly at the nose, cheek and mouth. Overall, I would guess that the head poses a greater threat to someone's face than the elbow, if they know how to properly headbutt.. This is just my assumption tho - I don't have any definite answer.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

:)

sevenstar thanks I'll start another thread with my response.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    HEY !

isn't the head one of the 'hard points' of NPM?

I'm trying to remember the debate point about the translation of "Ba Zhou" as "8 Elbows" or "8 Points" or something like that?

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    HEY !

isn't the head one of the 'hard points' of NPM?

I'm trying to remember the debate point about the translation of "Ba Zhou" as "8 Elbows" or "8 Points" or something like that?

LOL never heard of head butt being used in kung fu.