Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindset of a mantis fighter

:)

I can't think of seeing headbutts in the forms off the top of my head (no pun intended) but I do remember watching some vids of mainland people doing forms in the parks and back yards etc where they were biting during arm bars and thrusting their heads during the forms. Kind of interesting... inspiring actually.

vasquez..... I think dundee is on the teli why don't you go watch...
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Mark

I have seen this biting of the arm followed by the head butt, absolutely ruthless!

Let`s not pay attention to a troll... the dundee crack was f`n funny though.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by shirkers1
    I can't think of seeing headbutts in the forms off the top of my head (no pun intended) but I do remember watching some vids of mainland people doing forms in the parks and back yards etc where they were biting during arm bars and thrusting their heads during the forms. Kind of interesting... inspiring actually.

vasquez..... I think dundee is on the teli why don't you go watch...
    that's so weird.

:)

Hey jim, hope all is well out there...

Yeah I'm not aposed to all those little fun things when you're in the clinches like that.. Ask jake... Seems natural to poke, pinch, bite, twist, rub with anything available to make the other guy uncomfortable and not want to be any where near you during the altercation.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

Hey jim, hope all is well out there...

Yeah I'm not aposed to all those little fun things when you're in the clinches like that.. Ask jake... Seems natural to poke, pinch, bite, twist, rub with anything available to make the other guy uncomfortable and not want to be any where near you during the altercation.
    but that sounds like what untrained people would do. 3months od training and you should have grown outta that.

Lol

Whatever, that's fighting mate. Weren't you the one saying there are no rules in fighting? Those things are valid tools to use in fighting and they help get the job done. Knowing when and where to use those things is where training comes in. So where you would say untrained... I see trained brutality...

No but seriously that last Dundee movie sucked...

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    the skull is harder than the elbow and is most commonly aimed straight forward - directly at the nose, cheek and mouth. Overall, I would guess that the head poses a greater threat to someone's face than the elbow, if they know how to properly headbutt.. This is just my assumption tho - I don't have any definite answer.
    Funny you should mention that. There is an African Martial Art called "Testa" that is mostly head-butts. Trapping/Grabbing/Locking then striking with the Head. Usually, they try to drive your Nose-Bone into your brain.

I read about it in an old Inside Kung-Fu article.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.

Whatever, that's fighting mate. Weren't you the one saying there are no rules in fighting? Those things are valid tools to use in fighting and they help get the job done. Knowing when and where to use those things is where training comes in. So where you would say untrained... I see trained brutality...

No but seriously that last Dundee movie sucked...
    LOL on brutality. you obviously don't know dim mak. You want to keep your head well away from a DM expert.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by mantisben
    Funny you should mention that. There is an African Martial Art called "Testa" that is mostly head-butts. Trapping/Grabbing/Locking then striking with the Head. Usually, they try to drive your Nose-Bone into your brain.

I read about it in an old Inside Kung-Fu article.
    "Nose-Bone" ????

you're not serious are you?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Hi All

Mindset, I would say relaxed, focused on your opponent and the surroundings, calm but ready to unleash a torrent of pain on the enemy.

Even with my mediocre amount of training, 2 years, I agree you cant learn to fight by doing just forms alone. Most of the techs have multiple applications in different scenarios. You need to learn the forms to learn the moves, practise with a partner and incorporate them in free sparring. Im still struggling with the free sparring bit, sometimes I look like a flailing frog but Im getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    "Nose-Bone" ????

you're not serious are you?
    Maybe it's called Cartilage(?) or something, but I'm no medic. It is a piece located in your nose that when struck with enough force, at the correct angle, will push it into your brain from what I've heard.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.

it would be cartilidge.

but, it's not nearly long enough. it would have to pass through the upper sinus cavity first before it even got to the brain and then it would only barely do damage to the frontal lobe...if it got through the sinus cavity at all.

I don't think the cartilidge would retain enough stiffness if dislocated from the bit of bone where it's anchored anyway and would just mush out inside the sinus cavity IF it even got that far.

mostly you would just cause some decent pain, get the eyes closed and allow yourself some follow up time.

basically that whole thing is an urban myth.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    LOL on brutality. you obviously don't know dim mak. You want to keep your head well away from a DM expert.

here we go again....
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    but that sounds like what untrained people would do. 3months od training and you should have grown outta that.

I don't agree with shirk on this one, but I see what he is saying. You are looking at it from the standpoint of "pinching and biting aren't legitimate fighting techniques", while he looks at it in a different light. You, I would say are wrong. He's right, but of a different opinion than my own.

let's say we are in a clinch. I am smothering all of your space, which is preventing you from striking me. If you can pinch or bite me hard enough, you may be able to evoke a reaction from me - get me to move just enough that you get room to utilize a technique. That is a very valid thought.

I think that the results of that will vary greatly, however. I can honestly say that pretty much any season grappler will shake of a pinch, scratch, etc. - it will just tick him off. I think positioning and utilizing shorter strikes - like shoulder strikes - would server you better the majority of the time.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think McD's is serving Dim Mak now in an attempt to attract the Asian audience.