Thread: the quest for symmetry

the quest for symmetry

to keep it simple... how exactly do you go about evening out disproportioned shoulders. on my left side i look like the friggin hulk and on my right side....well lets just say that i dont lol. i also have the same problem with my calves tho i suspect it has a lil more to do with me dislocating my right kneecap. so my left leg got alot more use. bout 2 years worth, and i still favor it out of habit.

so what do you suggest oh great knowledgeable ones of the health forum?

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht
    to keep it simple... how exactly do you go about evening out disproportioned shoulders. on my left side i look like the friggin hulk and on my right side....well lets just say that i dont lol. i also have the same problem with my calves tho i suspect it has a lil more to do with me dislocating my right kneecap. so my left leg got alot more use. bout 2 years worth, and i still favor it out of habit.

so what do you suggest oh great knowledgeable ones of the health forum?
    I suppose you're thinking you look pretty strange. The important think is to leanr to love yourself no matter your looks.

lmao!

in the words of Peter Griffin:

"you bastid..."

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

seriously tho....

no one has any advice?

I have the same problem and have learned to live with it. In my case, the right shoulder rides higher ( closer to my neck ) and the upper back muscles are f'd up so the shoulder muscles take over more, making the right side bigger. What I have found that helps a little, and will definitely let you keep training (if that is an issue), is to do most of my two-handed work with dumbells or kettlebells. This way the shoulders being out of kilter doesn't effect me as much ( torquing the torso ) since the arms move independently of one another. Practicing extra punches on the heavy bag with the weak arm might help too. Ideally I'd like to do one-armed pushups but I haven't worked up to them.

Um, work the smaller side more than the bigger side?

My right lat is bigger. It's hard to even that out without messing up the biceps, altho I seem to have developed it disproportionally without messing up my biceps

My calves are also a little different shaped, but that may be genetic, because they're pretty much the same size, and it's been that way since before I started lifting weights.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

lol thanks. i have been dealing with it but the more weight i lose the more i notice. im not trying to win mr olympus or anything but i figure if there was sumthin i could do to fix it maybe i could try. and it may seem obvious but i been getting conflictin advice. anyway. ill try that. my right side is higher and wider so ill try some different shoulder exercises. maybe it is genetics tho and i just gotta deal, cuz it'll prolly go back the way it was as soon as i get tired of working out and become a professional couch potato again. the dark side is calling...

Some bridging and/or Yoga would help your alignment issue.