Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pope condems gays

this is from a religion that molests little kids and tries to hide about it and pay millions of dollars to keep them quite. why do catholics worship a MAN, he is nothing more than a man, just like you, me and every other person, straight and gays alike. we all have sins, even the almighty pope is a sinner, doesn't the bible say something like do not judge others, it seems like all they do is judge, if you are not catholic, you will go to hell, if you don't believe in the pope, you will go to hell, etc

during the popes funeral, someone mentioned that pope was like a god!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Jhapa
    this is from a religion that molests little kids
    Religion doesn't molest kids... guns do!

Or something like that.

Zim, can you really be so disingenuous as to expect us to believe that what the pope says doesn't affect all of us? But especially those praying for a rain of condoms in Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM
    IRT: mantis108- Being gay is not. Gay sex, otoh, is a sin. Its not a forever-****ing sort of thing, though.
    Last- all of you who're moaning- are you catholics? Why does what he says matter to you?
    First, we share the world with catholics, who, imo, look tolerant in comparison to many baptists on the gay topic.

Second, if you are suggesting that sodomy(in biblical terms) is a sin, and thus, being gay is, I challenge you to find any source before the tenth century that interprets sodomy(in biblical terms) as anything but failing to treat a guest well.

The interpretation of sodomy(i.e. the sin of the sodomites) during well over half of Catholic history had nothing to do with ****sexuality. Certainly not during the time the old testament was compiled, or even when Christ was around. Not for the gnostics, nor any of the early popes(including the gay ones).

Of course, I'm not even religious. But I know that much.

Additionally, our modern world is the direct legacy of a bunch of gay roman emporers who assumed power after a bunch of gay greeks lost it.

History favors the swish, and not the tenth century REVISION of what "sodomy" actually means to God.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

For the record, ****sexuals are periodically targetted throughout history not because of what they do, but because, lacking children, they tend to amass respectable fortunes that others always had to spend on family. Take a class with some money and a basic difference from others, ostracize them, get the population to herd them up, then you can take all of their stuff. Like the jews throughout Europe for many centuries before the nazis.

Before any christian wants to tell you what God thinks of gays, ask them why the church took a thousand years to figure it out, and why Christ never did.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

*sigh*

All I can say is...lol @ organized religion. It's really very sad. Ultimately, I feel that those who believe in God, regardless of their "denomination", should worry less about what some crochety old man (that's not just directed at whomever is today's pope) says about what HE feels is right and wrong, and just take care of themselves. Right and wrong aren't that complicated, I think, and I certainly don't need anyone to tell me what they THINK is right and wrong. More specifically, I couldn't care less about someone trying to condemn something I do because they don't like it. If I were ****sexual, my middle finger would probably be in the faces of a lot of people.

Oh noes...i am liek goign to H3LL now, amirite?

edit: Mantis108, I completely agree with what you said about marriage. In fact, I participated in a heated debate in high school a few years ago, saying essentially the same thing. I guess not too many people think about how little a piece of paper is really worth.
    Last edited by Lu Bu; 06-06-2005 at 10:40 PM. Reason: I forgot stuff ;_;

Zim, can you really be so disingenuous as to expect us to believe that what the pope says doesn't affect all of us? But especially those praying for a rain of condoms in Africa

Condoms arriving in Africa wouldn't begin to put a dent in the AIDS epidemic there. The problem appears to be much more complicated than that.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Greetings..

Marriage is a contract of obligations.. obligations are the root of resentment, waking up each morning and re-affirming your love for someone without obligation is evidence of "Love", obligation, on the otherhand is the fodder for lawyers..

As for gays, as long as the aren't actively recruiting, they are a danger only to themselves.. however, since they don't produce offspring, they are known for recruiting (how else do they keep an active population?).. no one should influence a person's sexual preferences, let people become who they are.. aside from that, form and function of the human anatomy has evolved with a particular process.. a process that is contrary to gay activities.. i take my cues from nature, and design and function of the vessel i now inhabit.. yet, i don't judge gays as right or wrong, i only evaluate the consequences of their actions.. recruiting being one i do not find favor with..

Gay Marriage? why? Gays have gone to great lengths to point out their differences from "breeders" ( a term for straights used by gays), now they want to reverse that notion and be just like straights.. Marriage has a long and documented tradition of being between a man and a woman.. why change? if, as suggested by gays, the issue is rights.. call it "pairrage" and afford the same rights.. same result, similar name.. move on... We don't have "straight days", "straight parades", or "straight" flags and symbols pasted everywhere.. if gays are so intent on identifying their uniqueness let them be "pairried" and straights be married, simple, huh?

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Recruiting? Excuse me Bob, I usually enjoy your posts and find them insightful, but... recruiting? How many gay people do you know? I've known a fair number of them, having lived throughout Europe & the U.S., and I've never known any of them to try "Recruiting" people into becoming gay! Gay people go for gay people. The ONLY people I've ever heard talk about gays trying to "recruit" straight people (what? like it's an organization or something?) have been h.omophobic individuals who seem terrified of the thought that they might get "recruited" .

Interstingly, I seem never to have had any problems with gay people trying to "recruit" me (even though I'm a total stud ). I tell 'em I'm straight and everything's cool.

Man, some people have some really odd ideas. Don't worry Bob, gay people aren't a danger to straight people unless straight people let it get their blood pressure up (some really do ).
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

PS: I've also never (ever) heard any gay person refer to straight people as "breeders". Again, I HAVE heard hom.ophobic religionists make this claim. Have you been reading born-again, fundamentalist pamphlets or what? (Now THOSE are some folks who can show you what "recruiting" is all about).
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Greetings..

Well, we run in different circles.. i have enough gay acquaintenances to be certain of my references and of the recruitment philosophy.. of course, this may vary depending on availability in a particular locale.. phobic? nope, observant, yep.. and, i absolutely agree that the gay movement pales in comparison to religious evangelism, and i am evangelicalphobic.. neo-cons scare me.. but, more so, are the legions of rational people that are too apathetic to stand up for their reasoned principles..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Heh, heh. I agree with ya' on the evangelicalphobia. Neo-cons too. Bleah. As for apathetic people, it seems that they are in the majority wherever you go (and it's a sad thing too). Anyway, yeah, I suppose some gay groups might have a "recruiting" agenda, I just don't think it's the "norm" though.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Oh yeah? Well, I heard that not only does Burt Reynolds wear a toupee, but that his mustache, beard, and even eyebrows are fake too!

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows
    First, we share the world with catholics, who, imo, look tolerant in comparison to many baptists on the gay topic.

Second, if you are suggesting that sodomy(in biblical terms) is a sin, and thus, being gay is, I challenge you to find any source before the tenth century that interprets sodomy(in biblical terms) as anything but failing to treat a guest well.

The interpretation of sodomy(i.e. the sin of the sodomites) during well over half of Catholic history had nothing to do with ****sexuality. Certainly not during the time the old testament was compiled, or even when Christ was around. Not for the gnostics, nor any of the early popes(including the gay ones).

Of course, I'm not even religious. But I know that much.

Additionally, our modern world is the direct legacy of a bunch of gay roman emporers who assumed power after a bunch of gay greeks lost it.

History favors the swish, and not the tenth century REVISION of what "sodomy" actually means to God.
    My interest in asking the question was based on my observation that most of you are either atheists or philosophically Buddhist, Taoist, etc. The Pope has no authority over you, and since he was talking about *gay marriage* in this case, all he really said was "we catholics won't be marrying gays".

There are other denominations, you know. Different churches, some with apostolic successions and everything, will do so. The Episcopalians are almost on the verge of schism because they do it & the Presbyterians, Lutherans have their own very liberal views. One branch of Judaism will perform same-sex marriages.

With the exception of the Judaic branch, all of these denominations are suffering losses in membership while they cater to an admitted minority's whims. If the Episcopalians do schism [and they'll likely take the Anglicans of Canada with them] that will end a historical era, since it will break up a worldwide communion that has existed since the 1600's.

There are repercussions from bowing to the public's whims that are very different from those a government might suffer. I'm not going to fault the Pope for adhering to his church's teachings & reining in those elements within it who would do it damage by changing things around thoughtlessly.

Your second point: I said, clearly, that being gay was not a sin. Its a fine poiint, I'll admit, but it should've been an easy one to grasp. Your 'challenge' is not one I'll raise to, thank you very much. If you want to revise the Bible, go right ahead. There's entire cottage industries devoted to it.

For your second post:
    Puh-lease. Are you playing the 'persecuted gay' card? I've already stated: They can get married elsewhere. Meantime expend your energies where they really are persecuted: The Middle East, where they are killed by law.
    Last edited by ZIM; 06-07-2005 at 08:02 AM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

TCB-

Your viewpoint WRT 'pairrage' is closer in spirit to what some gay catholics hold - one of pride in themselves, celebratory of difference, upholding of tradition, etc.

cerebus-

I've known quite a few gays & lesbians, well over a hundred I'm sure. 'Recruitment' typically takes the form of seduction of straights, and yes indeed its common as a goal. "Breeders" is a dismissive term, currently going out of favor in the northeast but still used when dissing families [esp. dysfunctional ones, ie- 'what do you expect from breeders?'].
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Talking

I love it. Der Fuher has opened his candy arsed ghey mouth and got all the kiddies upset. Can't wait for him and his but buddy Kolvenbach to issue a new catachism with instructions on how to goose step.