Thread: Tai Chi in San Diego?

Tai Chi in San Diego?

Hi,

I am interested in studying Tai Chi in San Diego and am looking for recommendations on instructors. A few of the places I've found on the internet include: Jesse Tsao, Mike Patterson and the Jing Institute (various instructors).

I haven't chosen a style yet, figuring the quality of the instructor is more important. I appreciate any help given.

Thank you.

I would recommend Bill Helm of the Taoist Sanctuary

http://www.taoistsanctuary.org/

You should visit everyone recommended to you before you decide.
    No brag, just fact.

Tai Chi

White Dragon Schools teach Tai Chi. They mainly teach Choy Li Fut, but have good instructors. The El Cajon school is one of the better schools, the sifu who teaches the tai chi class and push hands was undefeated in push hands at the world championships in China several times. They have tai chi class on Wed and Sat for an hour and you get a private instruction for half an hour every week. Also you are welcome to go to the choy li fut group classes M-F for an hour if you want.

It depends on what you're looking for...

I live in San Diego, and have seen what's around- here's my opinion(s):

If you're just in it for health, then Jing, Jesse Tsao (taichihealthways), The Taoist sanctuary, or White Dragon would be just fine.

If you are somewhat inclined towards the martial (i.e. just to/thru push-hands) then go with Bill Helm.

If you are really interested in the martial side, I would say take a look at 5 element Martial Arts in Pacific Beach. They have a Zhaobao crew there who are pretty hardcore about learning to fight.
    Mike Patterson would have been my first recommendation for any purpose, but he no longer teaches in San Diego. His senior student, Alex Shpigel, has, however, recently opened his own school in La Mesa. Please PM me if you are interested in getting his info...

Good luck on your quest- Taiji rules!

QJC

san diego

San diego has a about 5 good teachers. Internal and external

Mike Patterson
    Steve Cotter
    Tony Puyot/ Mike Dasargo
    Bill Helm
    -this chinese dragon guy in the park.

So ....Mike patterson...some guy said he's not teachign anymore so I don't know about that.

Steve cotter used to be Mike patterson's top student...and I heard he's a cool guy so if you are intersted, I can try to dig up his info. I have it somewhere, He teaches in a park.

Bill helm is really into internals , since he learned chi kung healing from share lew, so his tai chi must have good internal skills........

The Chinese guy who teaches Dragon style in the park is Ng Man Keong... he is a good friend of mine. The Tai Chi style that he teaches is Wu Style, and he used to teach near the organ pavillion on Sunday mornings (used to cause it has been a while since I have been to SD and talked to him... he was teaching back then at that time)
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

(Message Removed)
    Last edited by QuaiJohnCain; 02-05-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Hello,

If you are interesting in driving a bit. Terry Whitehurst teaches at a park in Temecula. I have been a practitioner of Yang Tai Chi for many years and when visiting San Diego I studied with him a few years back. The vacation went from one week to three months, this guy has much to offer pertaining to the martial aspects and deep gritty training if thats what you are after.
    I actually met a few of Steve Cotter's students a few years back as well, they only had nice things to say about him.

Sacoche