Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuition?

Tuition?

Let me start by saying I know nothing about Kung Fu. I have a 7 y/o son that could use help with self control and a 12 y/o daughter that needs to work out and was having confidence issues with bullies, so I signed them up for Kung Fu. (Shaolin/Eagle Claw studio)

My question is regarding tuition. When I signed them up, I paid $600 (total for both) to get through their orange belts. Now that they are approaching that goal, it's time to select another membership plan. The one I'm looking at will give each child unlimited classes (they currently go twice/week) and take them through their black belts. That plan is about $11000 total for both. If they decide to drop their training, they can return to the studio at any time to continue at no additional charge. At first, I assumed there would be a per/month charge or something like that. The price does not include clothes or weapons (that plan costs a lot more!) or sashes.

Also, I thought since they 'earned' sashes, that there would be no charge. But I do have to pay for sashes as they earn them.

Is this the norm? Or at least in the ball park? I have nothing to compare it to. The studio is also very conveniently located, so that is a plus.

Both kids love it so far!

I'd really appreciate any input you can offer.

Thanks!!
    Spryte

$11,000????

I would say average tuition shouldn't be more than $50-100 month per student, with $100 being pretty high.

For one kid ($5,500), you would be paying for about 4.5 years worth of lessons @ $100/month.

Is that amount up front before training begins?

I would be wary.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 06-07-2005 at 12:57 PM.

That is the total for two kids... first kid full price... 2nd kid half price...
    it works out to about $300/month (a car payment!!) for 3 years. It is payable monthly with no added interest.

They said it will probably take 3.5 - 4 years for my daughter (in adult classes) to earn her black belt... and that my son (7 y/o) in the child classes, will be able to attend the adult classes.

They seem to be learning the same things... is there a difference between a black belt for a child and an adult?

Quote Originally Posted by spryte
    That is the total for two kids... first kid full price... 2nd kid half price...
    it works out to about $300/month (a car payment!!) for 3 years. It is payable monthly with no added interest.

They said it will probably take 3.5 - 4 years for my daughter (in adult classes) to earn her black belt... and that my son (7 y/o) in the child classes, will be able to attend the adult classes.
    Sorry, I edited my above post due to my lack of reading comprehension....

They seem to be learning the same things... is there a difference between a black belt for a child and an adult?
    There shouldn't be.

So $150/month for two students really isn't a bad price?

Quote Originally Posted by spryte
    So $150/month for two students really isn't a bad price?
    I think it's kind of pricey IMO, but not that bad if the instruction is quality.

Thanks!

Do students typically pay for sashes as they earned? Or are they usually just earned?

Depends on the school. Some schools don't have a sash program, but normally the ones that do charge some sort of testing fees associated with sash promotion. My old school charges $20 for a test, but we didn't require uniforms and my Sifu supplied the practice weapons.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 06-07-2005 at 01:20 PM.

I'm hoping I will be able to negotiate a better price! Thanks so much!

Black black / life time programs for 7 y/o or 12 y/o's ????

My advice - look elsewhere.

r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 06-07-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin)
    Black black / life time programs for 7 y/o or 12 y/o's ????

My advice - look elsewhere.

r.
    Why is that?

pricing will vary, programs will vary.

there is instruction out there that can be as expensive or even more expensive than that.

If the instruction is of good quality and you can see obvious growth and improvemnet in your children, then all you have to ask yourself is:

Is it worth it to you and can you afford it?

Yes, there are a lot of classes out there that are cheaper and contain good quality instruction as well. But that's neither here nor there. If your kids are enjoying it where they are, if they are improving and developing their skill and you are ok with the price, then certainly keep it up.

after all, there are kids at the shaolin temple wushuguan who's skill surpasses a great deal of adults. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

do you have a web link to the school, im sure at those tuition rates they should have a nice website.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I spoke with them tonight and got a MUCH better rate.

Rothrock's Kung Fu & Tai Chi Studio

Thanks for all of your input!

incidentally,

spryte,

in case you're interested in showing your children a glimpse of their 'sigung,' ie grandmaster, check out the second half of the clip on this page: http://espytv.com/eagleclaw.htm

"here kids, take a look at the old man that taught your teacher..."

good jobs for putting your kids into a kung fu program. more parents need to do the same!