Thread: what gift for sifu?

Question what gift for sifu?

Dear Sirs,
    I am unfortunately leaving my current sifu of 4 years and moving 20 miles down the road, where i will be training with the same association but a different sifu. I have had a very good experience with my current sifu and have been thinking for quite a while that little is done to show students appreciation of the work he puts in and time he gives up.

I am therefore going to get sifu a gift, but would like your advice on what to give him especially from those of you that are sifu yourselves. I know my sifu is interested in chinese culture, reads alot, etc. but i cant find the right gift.

My only ideas were:
    a statue, buddha, terracota warrior, chinese lion statue etc.
    a book such as a nice copy of tao te ching
    a dvd such as the excellent house of flying daggers.

what do you think? what says respect, loyalty and admiration?
    thanks in advance.
    fool
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

All of your ideas sound pretty good! Foo dogs are another nice choice, under the "statue" division". I'm not sure what your price range is, but a weapon is always a nice gift as well. (Once some of the students at my old school bought Sifu a nice Monk Spade, which he really enjoyed)

Some decent oranges always make a nice gift, in my opinion.

However, have you heard of the Jackson 5? Give him 5 Jacksons. Nothing says "respect, loyalty and admiration" in Chinese culture quite like a small wad of cash.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    have you heard of the Jackson 5? Give him 5 Jacksons.
    LOL!!
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

How about a vanity plate - "BADASS"?

The guy's probably got KF statues and stuff coming out of his ears. If he drinks, why not get him a top shelf bottle of whiskey? Either that or a nice hardcover book, not necessarily about KF, but a related subject.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Hmmmm ?

In the old days Chinesse masters often had a few Sifu's, one for Kung Fu one for medicine and one for Caligraphy.
    What about a chinesse caligraphy so he can mount it on his wall, at home or at the school.
    You can think of something profound to say and find a chinesse artist to write it for you.... may be of a medium cost depending on who you find in your area... its traditional and can relate to your relationship or Kung Fu....and if made properly would last a long time ?
    Or the same thing but a picture, traditionally chinesse like, birds and pics of bamboo, things that have deep meaning in chinesse culture or anything with deep meaning to him or you to convey your appreciation......
    Hard choice dude, good luck.

Hey all!

As far as tradition goes, giving a knife would be a bad idea.

This shows you are severing a relationship in asian cultures.

Sometimes, the nicest gift a sifu can get is a thank you and letting him know how much his work helped, influenced and mattered to you.

Dave

Hey all!

As far as tradition goes, giving a knife would be a bad idea.

This shows you are severing a relationship in asian cultures.

Sometimes, the nicest gift a sifu can get is a thank you and letting him know how much his work helped, influenced and mattered to you.

Dave

Lots of great ideas listed here already. To build on one of them, if you have a special talent or craft, something of your own handiwork can be a personal and much appreciated gift. For example, I have several friends who have on occasion given their own paintings, special photographs, and other artistic items, gifts which have been especially well received and memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mckind13

Dave
    I heartily agree with Dave on this.

"Keeping in touch," however infrequently, can also be a warmly appreciated expression of sincerity and gratitude. Even a token remembrance now and again can mean a lot.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo
    "It's all related." - me

You could always not leave your Sifu and travel an extra 20 miles, some people travel much greater distance than that.

Hey foolinthedeck,

Kathy Jo and Dave were right on this
    "Keeping in touch," however infrequently, can also be a warmly appreciated expression of sincerity and gratitude. Even a token remembrance now and again can mean a lot.
    One of my sihings left for China and he would send a red envelope on Chinese new year with a little bit of money in it. The dollar value wasn't important, (and to be honest I don't think it was much) it was that he was still thinking of his sifu and where he was trained. It was easy to tell how much it was appreciated by the smile on my sifu's face when he knew who the envelope was from.

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

Booze.

I know my Sifu likes it.

“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels