Thread: TKD Instructor as Expert Witness versus MMA Lawyer

Threaded View

TKD Instructor as Expert Witness versus MMA Lawyer

I thought you all might find ths entertaining.

http://mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListM...12&FID=2&pc=18

...I joined this case late. Don't even ask how it got this far. I swear to God it isn't my fault.

...I am involved in a nasty divorce case. It involves domestic violence. The husband(I represent the wife) is a brown belt in TKD. He is trying to call as an expert in martial arts his instructor. The instructor's testimony would be that if he had hit his wife, he would have killed her with his "deadly training." I got a chance to deposition the "expert" today. One part went something like this:

Q: You said that you are a 5 time world champion correct?

A: Yes.

Q: I've never heard of you. 5 time world champion in what?

A: I am a five time Master's Division Champion in TKD. 2 time advanced forms champion and 3 time advanced weapons forms champion.

Q: So you never fought anybody for those championships?

A: No, however I have trained for over twenty years.

Q: Sounds like you were training for a dance competition. Describe how being a 2 time forms champion makes you an expert in fighting?

A: We fight against imaginary opponents, kind of like boxers shadow box.

Q: So you fight against imaginary opponents that don't hit back and day dream about how bad you could hurt somebody if you really hit them?

(Objection, misstating and manipulating testimony. Has to answer anyway.)

A: No, it is for focus. Don't doubt for a minute the power that I possess.

It was a riot. This **** went on for 2 hours. I am objecting to him as an expert. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL so if the judge allows him, I will use Charles McCarthy as my expert. "Your Honor, the only way to decide who the true expert is is to let them fight. The expert who wins can testify."
    Last edited by truewrestler; 06-13-2005 at 07:47 AM.