Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Li Pi Quan

My Shifu teaches a form called lipiquan as a "beginning" form, though of course you could always practice a "beginner" form at an advanced level. I seemed to recall it belonging to Seven Star, but since my Shifu teaches a variety of PM styles it may indeed be Babu. Could you Babu people take a look at this and tell me if it is the same as your Lipi? (You may wanna turn the volume off if you don't like cheesy sound effects).

http://www.kungfuloung.com.tw/sample009.wmv

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by onyomi; 11-13-2005 at 03:15 PM.

It's not exactly the same as my Lipi but I can see some similarities in structure and technique.

Who is the guy in the clip?

Thanks!

S
    Black Mantis

Kangeroo,
    THERE IS NO LIPI SWORD FORM IN 8 STEP PRAYING MANTIS.

Dont you understand that shyun has added filler and watered down the system? There is so much b.s. added that it has distorted the whole style!

Brother.........Cant you see it? Perhaps you do not see it and I dont blame you for defending and justifying what you have been taught. But please dont allow your judgement to be clouded.
    All you have to do is wake up and see.... dont take my word for it, do your own homework and compare what you have been taught to everone else in the world of 8 step. is everyone else incorect and shyun is the only one who knows the true 8 step? you can be that naieve.

the new generation of shyuns 8 step is like a cult. they think they have the only real 8 step and everyone else doens know anyhting. it is sadening really.

it took the original students like myself a while to see the light. Why do yo think none of us are with him anymore? perhaps one day you to will wake up and see the truth. untill then keep track of the amount of checks you have paid since your joining the ACMAF is it over a 1000.00 bucks??????????
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

The Li Pi in that clip doesn't really look like the version I practice, but mine is still far from what it should be. I don't see this Li Pi straight sword conversation going any where, as I have heard of it in Shyun's curriculum, but not seen it in the traditional. It must be like the mantis ground fighting that only Shuyn knows. It doesn't strike you as odd that a sword form has the same movements as an empty hand form? I could see a concealed knife, or even a meat cleaver used in this form, but the flicking, and circling movements usually associated with that type of sword doesn't seem fit the movements of Li Pi.
    God bless the child that can hold his own.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmantis
    It's not exactly the same as my Lipi but I can see some similarities in structure and technique.

Who is the guy in the clip?

Thanks!

S
    He's my shifu, Zhou Baofu. He lives and teaches in Taipei. He teaches a wide range of Northern Praying Mantis styles, some of which he learned from his first Shifu, Wang Songting, and some of which he picked up later while living in Hong Kong. He also does Buddhist Qigong and, interestingly enough, Taizu Chang-quan.... maybe there is some connection?

Ah that is very interesting. I know the Wutan version of Lipi which looks slightly different.

About James Shyun- what's the deal with him? Lots of people keep talking about him and describing him as controversial, so what's that all about?

S
    Black Mantis

Ah that is very interesting. I know the Wutan version of Lipi which looks slightly different.

About James Shyun- what's the deal with him? Lots of people keep talking about him and describing him as controversial, so what's that all about?

S
    Interesting. My Shifu is good friends with Adam Hsu, who I assume must be the head of the Wutan Organization now that Liu Yun Qiao has past on (if the Wutan organization still exists?). They both practice weapons with their respective classes together at Sun Yat-sen Memorial Park and Adam Hsu even saw fit to join my Shifu's "Kung-fu Loung Alliance," as you can see here: http://www.kungfuloung.com.tw/kungfu2.htm
    (no, don't hit the English button, please... don't... I warned you.)

But I think my Shifu had already learned all his Mantis before meeting Hsu... so I don't see how a "Wutan version" of PM could have affected his PM (also, doesn't Hsu only do Six Harmony?). Then again, my Shifu has continued to research various forms of Northern PM all his life, so it's hard for me to know exactly when/from whom he learned all the forms he teaches.
    Last edited by onyomi; 11-14-2005 at 11:57 AM.

I don't come from the Hsu line. I am from Liu Yun Qiao -> Zhou Gao Shan -> my teacher.
    Black Mantis

I don't come from the Hsu line. I am from Liu Yun Qiao -> Zhou Gao Shan -> my teacher.
    This will probably sound ignorant, but Liu Yun Qiao did Praying Mantis too? Which styles? I knew he did Bagua, Baji, Pigua, Mizong and others, but I didn't know he did PM. The PM Adam Hsu knows I thought he learned from someone other than Liu? What style of PM do you practice? Babu?
    Last edited by onyomi; 11-14-2005 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onyomi
    This will probably sound ignorant, but Liu Yun Qiao did Praying Mantis too? Which styles? I knew he did Bagua, Baji, Pigua, Mizong and others, but I didn't know he did PM. The PM Adam Hsu knows I thought he learned from someone other than Liu? What style of PM do you practice? Babu?
    I don't believe Grandmaster Liu ever taught praying mantis per se. But here is a picture of him next to Ding Tse if that tells you anything.

http://www.privacyplease.net/chikung...erliugroup.jpg
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

You mean the famous Six Harmony PM master, Ding Zi Cheng. I'm not surprised at all that Liu would have known him as Liu was one of the most prominent figures in the CMA community at the time. I'm sure Liu knew PM masters, I just didn't think that Liu himself actually practiced PM.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

Like I said, as far as I know, he just never formally taught liu he tang lang, but he sure knew it.

As far as I know, the only person that he officially promoted was Su Yu Chang. I don't think any of their generations lay any claims, but I doubt Adam Hsu claims to be the head of the Wutan organization either.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

So... Lipiquan is a Babu form and not a 7* form? Or is there more than one version?
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

Black mantis, you asked

This is far to complicated to get you up to speed so I will give you the extreme shortened version.

He was my shrfu and I was one of the original 9 students to be certified, promoted and authorized to teach 8 step in the US under him. . After I was certified and moved back to Buffalo NY the controversy started with the inception of the internet brought out other students of Wei Xiao Tung which James Shyun never admitted to and told us he was the only true closed door dicplipe and sole inheritor of ba bu tang lang. and that he had the only true right to pass the 8 step system along. And that he had all the secret books in volumes passed onto him by Wei. After much discovery most of this has been proven to be untrue.

Most of his senior students that felt betrayed and lied to quit his federation. This along with his divorce and falling out with his china medical doctor relocating orginizationin cased him to run into financial trouble. So he created programs within his federtion like the sifu program where you must pay 5,000.00 to be certified and forced what schools he had left to enroll at least 5 students from every school per year into this program to make his a comfprtable living as well as 100.00 a month dues 400.00 uniforms and gold plated mantis pin every instructor is forced to buy and wear.

There are still some young students out there who are blinded by this deception that pop up all the time with like 7 posts under their name and try to defend his actions adn reasons and attempt to justify the throusands of dollars the spent falling into his money making trap. Like kangero, andy miles travis whitman. or this could all be the same person who knows he hides behinsd his alter ego names all over the board.

I will say that Shyuns kung fu is good far better than mine will ever be and he does know his stuff, just embelished a little to much for the quick minded. I respect and appricate everthing he taught me. I just felt betrayed by someone whom I called my father for 8 years.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Could someone PLEASE answer my question regarding the two-man form of Lipi!! Is it just Lipi with someone else blocking and reacting to it or is it something different!?
    Black Mantis